Author Topic: At home haircuts for fine hair  (Read 2026 times)

emilypsf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
At home haircuts for fine hair
« on: August 18, 2014, 10:11:31 AM »
I've been cutting my son's hair since he was born.  He's 3.  I watched a few youtube videos, and overall I do a decent job.  There is one area that is a problem.  His hair is very fine, and he doesn't have a lot of it (compared to an adult), so it's important to get the layers/shaping right.  The hair often clumps when I pull it up with my comb and means that I end up with a blunt chunk where I am trying to have a nicely layered portion.  The same thing happens when I cut my husband's hair, but his is so much thicker, that it isn't a problem.

I thought some of you may have perfected this art.

Any tips for improving my layering skills with fine hair?  Would cutting it dry help?  I cut it wet now.

The Borgs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: At home haircuts for fine hair
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
I have this issue cutting my own hair which is super fine. A couple of things occur to me, when you're sectioning the hair, you need to be pulling up pretty small sections with the comb. Then you hold this little section of hair between two fingers, away from the head. Apologies for the poor description, but at this point you should have a layer of hair evenly distributed between the fingers, not a clump. I also do most of my sectioning in one direction, then when I've cut all of that I pick up sections perpendicular to it and level out any bits that are not neat.

And if that explanation made any sense to you, you'll have no issue at all with that hair! Sorry, but it's the best I can do for an explanation.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!