Author Topic: At a crossroads...where to go from here?  (Read 8732 times)

undercover

• Pencil Stache
At a crossroads...where to go from here?
« on: December 06, 2014, 11:29:17 PM »
So let me start by saying that I know that no one here or on the internet can truly answer what I need to do. That said, I value the opinions of those here because I know most of you have been through a lot and might have some good advice in your own retrospection that might give me some food for thought. I appreciate it in advance.

About me:
  • I am 24, will be 25 in march.
  • Live in a small town in mountains on the East coast (<5,000 people) with parents
  • BS in Management Information Systems
  • Just graduated this past May
  • Interested in Finance and CS
  • Have worked in retail for past 4 years

Income

Until about 3 months ago, I was making pretty terrible at the retail job. If I stick with the job from this point forward, I'll make about $37k a year. It would probably be higher since we get a lot of overtime and the Holidays usually bring more $. That said, I think the max I could ever make at this job would be around $50k, and I doubt the boss would even go for that. I feel I make pretty good for what I do (pretty menial but soul crushing work). I suppose I am "Assistant Manager" at this point, but titles are vague and often irrelevant, hence the "not much room for advancement" that was insinuated.

As stated, I live at home which saves me a ton of money. Most of my income goes straight towards savings. So far, i haven't put anything into retirement accounts because I don't get a 401k and I just haven't felt the need to save <$1k in taxes so far. I also have investments and a rental bringing income in. I basically have no bills and there aren't many shiny things getting in my way since we live in the middle of no where. My personal finances are in good order, so this isn't exactly a case study.

What would you do?

My question is, should I get out now or keep going? Like I said, I am able to save a ton doing what I'm doing. But I keep wanting to get my own place and start an actual career where my possibilities are endless. I feel like the longer I keep staying and pinching minimal raises out of my boss, the more time I'm wasting not being somewhere. I'm also not exactly ecstatic to go in to work everyday or come back to where I live. My family and I get along great and they love me, so that isn't an issue, I just need my own space I think. My rental is also part of the same house, so sometimes I can't sleep well due to the noise (bedrooms right next to each other).

I really haven't traveled that much in my life so far and it's something I want/think I need do. But, I feel like I am giving up a good thing at the same time. The logical part of me says stay. The adventurous, yearning side of me says go. I know I'm young enough to make some mistakes and still recover, but I still feel like sacrificing now will pay huge dividends the future if I keep the path. But, not doing (meaningful) work related to my degree is also, as previously mentioned, soul crushing.

More about the job:

• No 401k, no benefits
  • 1 week paid off, no Holidays off
  • I rotate working Saturday
  • Overall, I have it pretty easy. I just help customers and do a little backend work
  • Boss is a good boss, we have a good relationship
  • Again, just now getting paid what I should be getting paid

I have enough cushion to leave the job at any time, so there is no concern there. I am just concerned that if I leave that I won't find something else for a long time, still technically being a "new graduate" since I assume my experience at this job won't be very meaningful to a career type employer. Places I am interested in moving to are halfway across the country and it wouldn't be feasible for me to drive or fly to interviews out of pocket. I don't think many employers are going to want to fly me out as someone who hasn't had a proper career yet. So, I think I would have to travel around and find what cities I like, then start putting in for positions while I'm there.

Other motivations for wanting to move are being able to potentially go car-free and bike everywhere, proximity to more grocery stores (I currently have the choice of Walmart or a regional chain here), being around stronger real estate market where I can invest in property, and meeting more people that will motivate me further.

I CAN go part time at this job, but it still seems to keep me unmotivated from doing anything else.

I've tried to include every possible relevant detail without creating a tl;dr scenario.

What do you think? What would you do?

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: At a crossroads...where to go from here?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:55:05 PM »
Why aren't you interviewing for a job that uses your degree? The longer you wait, the more it won't happen.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:56:52 PM »
undercover, welcome to the forums.

Seems it would cost you only some time to apply for other positions, so why not do so? 

It is common, at least in technical fields, for employers to pay any transportation and lodging needed if they invite you to a remote interview.  Can you work with your college's Career Placement office to identify potential employers?

At this point it seems you have a known status quo, but only guesses at what else might be available.  Getting some tangible alternatives will help you understand your situation better.

Good luck!

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 12:54:54 AM »
Your 20s is an ideal time to get your shit together - there's a TED talk somewhere about how your 20s sets the stage for the rest of your life.

You have the 'making sensible, conservative decisions' bit down-pat.  Now you need to stretch your wings a bit and allow yourself to practice some bigger, riskier decision-making.

You're in an ideal position to do so - you have a rental income, and presumably a home to come back to if it all turns to shit.  This is an awesome back-up plan and fall-back position.

But don't stay in your 'back-up plan' because you're too scared to try something new.

What I would do:
1. Choose a city that is not too far away
2. Apply for every single job that uses your degree that you can find - from graduate / entry-level on up.
3. You will be asked "why the gap between graduating and now?"  Your answer?  Something along the lines of  "I had some loose ends and family obligations to attend to in my home town, but I feel that the time spent attending to those has worked in my favour; I have a maturity and life experience that I didn't have as a new graduate.  I now know my own mind enough to know that this is the career path I want to pursue, and I'm committed to [city] and [career]."  (or something like that)
4. Move to that city - if you are able to, rent out your room back home to increase your financial safety net, find a room to rent in the new city (air bnb? local newspapers?  craigslist?), and just get your body there. 
5.  Once there, keep applying for jobs including dressing the part and door-knocking with your CV.

Since you sound like a sensible, planning-type person, work out how long you will do this (4 months?  6?) Before heading back home and firing up your back-up plan.

good luck!

p.s.  I know for myself, one of my decision making tools when faced with uncertainty is to ask myself "what will I regret more?".  My pick is that if you don't give it a go, you'll forever be comparing your current life to your 'what if?' life. 

Go find out 'what if?'  The realistic worst case scenario is that you fall back and recreate something similar to what you're doing now.  And at least, then, you will know.  Best case?  A job that challenges you, a new group of friends, a broader horizon, and maybe even a soulmate (if that's your thing).  Certainly some new life experiences await you.

Sarita

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 05:20:21 PM »
Your 20s is an ideal time to get your shit together - there's a TED talk somewhere about how your 20s sets the stage for the rest of your life.

You have the 'making sensible, conservative decisions' bit down-pat.  Now you need to stretch your wings a bit and allow yourself to practice some bigger, riskier decision-making.

You're in an ideal position to do so - you have a rental income, and presumably a home to come back to if it all turns to shit.  This is an awesome back-up plan and fall-back position.

But don't stay in your 'back-up plan' because you're too scared to try something new.

What I would do:
1. Choose a city that is not too far away
2. Apply for every single job that uses your degree that you can find - from graduate / entry-level on up.
3. You will be asked "why the gap between graduating and now?"  Your answer?  Something along the lines of  "I had some loose ends and family obligations to attend to in my home town, but I feel that the time spent attending to those has worked in my favour; I have a maturity and life experience that I didn't have as a new graduate.  I now know my own mind enough to know that this is the career path I want to pursue, and I'm committed to [city] and [career]."  (or something like that)
4. Move to that city - if you are able to, rent out your room back home to increase your financial safety net, find a room to rent in the new city (air bnb? local newspapers?  craigslist?), and just get your body there. 
5.  Once there, keep applying for jobs including dressing the part and door-knocking with your CV.

Since you sound like a sensible, planning-type person, work out how long you will do this (4 months?  6?) Before heading back home and firing up your back-up plan.

good luck!

p.s.  I know for myself, one of my decision making tools when faced with uncertainty is to ask myself "what will I regret more?".  My pick is that if you don't give it a go, you'll forever be comparing your current life to your 'what if?' life. 

Go find out 'what if?'  The realistic worst case scenario is that you fall back and recreate something similar to what you're doing now.  And at least, then, you will know.  Best case?  A job that challenges you, a new group of friends, a broader horizon, and maybe even a soulmate (if that's your thing).  Certainly some new life experiences await you.

+1, though I would start taking some trips to cities that seem interesting to you, whether they are close or far, to research where you may want to live.  I did a LOT of travelling in my 20s and feel settled, with no regrets, because of all the running around I did (peace corps in africa, ESL teaching in South Korea...).   I've also done some really big career jumps that seemed crazy to some but felt energizing to me (Fortune 500 in rural area to midsize firm in Washington DC bc I wanted to experience the city; midsize firm to non-profit because corporate life was killing my soul).  Each was a great decision.    The conservative path you've taken so far is now giving you the freedom to spread your wings and go experience life.  Even if it doesn't go as you had hoped, or is a hard road in some way, at least you'll KNOW and not always wonder what may have happened.  But I am pretty sure that once you leave the safety of home you will feel your life expand in ways you could never have imagined, all for the good.
Good luck! :)

ClaycordJCA

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »
Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are unfulfilled. Sure, life seems pretty easy now. But do you want to be in the same place 10 years from now?  What about when (if) you decide start a family?  If you want to put your degree to work, the sooner the better.

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 02:34:35 PM »
Why aren't you interviewing for a job that uses your degree? The longer you wait, the more it won't happen.

+1 I've written about this before but you need to focus on improving your income / skill set. Get the experience now to reap the rewards later. You do not want to sit still for the next 5 years only to wake up and realize you have a tough time ahead of you to compete for entry level jobs in your field with recent college grads.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »
Undercover, my son was in a similar position a couple years ago. He had his degree, including some IT degrees, but could only get a job in retail. He ended up joining the Air National Guard and was recently commissioned as an officer. The training and background he received in the Guard, led to a job at a major corporation. He has so many choices ahead of him, and in his 20's, he's making more then his dad or I have ever made--even with overtime. It was the best decision ever. With your MIS degree, I think I would go for jobs or positions in the Guard where you could get security clearances.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 03:43:04 PM »
Career retail folks are a generally soul-crushed and cynical folk in my admittedly limited experience. (9 years, but all in the same city and same sector).

I would definitely search for jobs using your degree. If you're having trouble even getting interviews, make sure to either:

1. Explain in your cover letter your desire specifically to relocate to City X.
2. Leave your address off the resume. Bring up relocation if/when you get an interview and/or an offer.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I definitely think I am at a point where if I don't get started, I'll have worse of a chance later. As someone said, I'll be competing for entry level jobs with fresh "out of the gate" grads, and have probably a harder time.

The problem with my degree is that I don't think it's really prepared me for most jobs I'm interested in, even though they are related to my degree. I don't even think if I were to go into a job DIRECTLY related to my degree I would be able to perform the necessary tasks right off the bat. I would think this is somewhat of a universal problem, but I don't really have any extra-curricular items to throw on my resume that would improve my chances. I think these are things I need to work at in order to be immediately employable. I know I'm a faster learner than most, but employers don't really care about that and that's hard when they won't let you prove it. I say this because I applied and got interviewed for several great "tech" jobs (nothing I'd be interested in long term) in my rural area, but they weren't really willing to give me the chance. They even told me I was in a "catch 22" situation since I need experience but no one will give me the chance to get it.

What I really want to do is take some time early next year to visit the top cities that have the highest concentration of tech / finance jobs available that relate to my degree. Ideally, I will come back and apply to as many places as I can, and get my foot in the door somewhere. If nothing else, I'd like to buy a place the city of my choice and then keep my current job so that I could easily pay the payments and then some, and pay it off as quickly as possible. I'd then have somewhere to go during interviews if they weren't willing to fly me out. I know there are downsides to this, but I just really don't want to rent. I know there are positives and negatives to renting but I look at paying for property as an investment, and even if things don't work out, I'd still rent it out. I also realize it would somewhat be unwise to limit myself to one city/market, but I think there are just as many opportunities in Seattle as there are Denver or Austin if one were to really search. I also think I could replicate my current situation here, anywhere else, and still be just as happy.

Thoughts?

JohnGalt

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I definitely think I am at a point where if I don't get started, I'll have worse of a chance later. As someone said, I'll be competing for entry level jobs with fresh "out of the gate" grads, and have probably a harder time.

The problem with my degree is that I don't think it's really prepared me for most jobs I'm interested in, even though they are related to my degree. I don't even think if I were to go into a job DIRECTLY related to my degree I would be able to perform the necessary tasks right off the bat. I would think this is somewhat of a universal problem, but I don't really have any extra-curricular items to throw on my resume that would improve my chances. I think these are things I need to work at in order to be immediately employable. I know I'm a faster learner than most, but employers don't really care about that and that's hard when they won't let you prove it. I say this because I applied and got interviewed for several great "tech" jobs (nothing I'd be interested in long term) in my rural area, but they weren't really willing to give me the chance. They even told me I was in a "catch 22" situation since I need experience but no one will give me the chance to get it.

What I really want to do is take some time early next year to visit the top cities that have the highest concentration of tech / finance jobs available that relate to my degree. Ideally, I will come back and apply to as many places as I can, and get my foot in the door somewhere. If nothing else, I'd like to buy a place the city of my choice and then keep my current job so that I could easily pay the payments and then some, and pay it off as quickly as possible. I'd then have somewhere to go during interviews if they weren't willing to fly me out. I know there are downsides to this, but I just really don't want to rent. I know there are positives and negatives to renting but I look at paying for property as an investment, and even if things don't work out, I'd still rent it out. I also realize it would somewhat be unwise to limit myself to one city/market, but I think there are just as many opportunities in Seattle as there are Denver or Austin if one were to really search. I also think I could replicate my current situation here, anywhere else, and still be just as happy.

Thoughts?

You're right... you don't know anything coming out of college.  The degree just opens the door.  You'll start in an entry level position where you're employer won't expect you to know anything.  They will expect to train you, that's all part of it.  Go visit different cities if you want - but that shouldn't stop you from applying now. The handful of interviews you've had that told you the "catch 22" thing shouldn't discourage you from continuing to apply.  When I've hired for entry level positions, I'm just looking for someone who is eager to learn, seems capable of learning, and that will fit in with the team they'll be working with. 

I would absolutely not buy a house to live in any time soon.  You're in your early 20's, just out of school, considering moving somewhere entirely new.  Do not tie yourself up with house anytime soon unless it is a pure investment. The best thing you can do is stay flexible as you figure out what you want from life, your career, etc

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
+1 on not buying a house, especially if you're not sure things are gonna work out in the place you move to.

Could you start a (fulfilling, interesting) small business in your spare time? One where you NEVER EVER QUIT THE DAY JOB OR PAY FOR SPACE until it's making decent money? Even if you don't rake in the moolah, you'd be getting experience, and doing something that scratches your itches. (I did this in my 20s, had a blast, and developed skills I still use a quarter century later!)

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »
Logically, you're probably right, I don't need to worry about buying for a while. I understand that once I get started I may get the itch to move again. But, for me, buying makes sense because I am in a place I absolutely despise for being my age (as mentioned before, very rural town). If I was committed, I don't see how buying would be a horrible move, as long as I stuck with it for 5-10 years. But that sounds scary in its own right, so maybe you're right. I'm mostly against renting (partly because I have my own rental going and I know that there is always a premium to rent, at least most of the time), but maybe if the salary made up for it.

Quote from: Gerard
Could you start a (fulfilling, interesting) small business in your spare time? One where you NEVER EVER QUIT THE DAY JOB OR PAY FOR SPACE until it's making decent money? Even if you don't rake in the moolah, you'd be getting experience, and doing something that scratches your itches. (I did this in my 20s, had a blast, and developed skills I still use a quarter century later!)

I've thought about this, and have actually had side projects going in the past, all of which I've got burnt out on because they weren't the clientele I wanted to be working with. I want to end up starting something online so I can be somewhat location independent. As mentioned before, I'm in a very menial job that I'm not thrilled about so I really can't find the energy or motivation lately. I also have plenty of savings so I am thinking about just quitting the job, traveling a bit, and then going all in on interviews and career placement. Again, logically it sounds stupid to give up a fairly good paying gig but I guess I'm just not happy with it at all. As someone else said, I'm just not fulfilled.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »
"I also have plenty of savings so I am thinking about just quitting the job, traveling a bit, and then going all in on interviews and career placement."
If you travel, you'll free refreshed when you get back, and might even look good to employers that you had the confidence to travel. I was laid off in 2010. I took my severance and traveled for three months. Employers where happy to talk to me when I got back.

zsmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 06:10:24 PM »
Undercover, consider an internship. Sure it's not sexy and the pay may not be great, but if you are willing to work hard, it's a entry point into a career and helps you build connections in your industry and the oh-so-elusive experience that you need to have before anyone will hire you full time.

I work in public relations and our entry-level position is an intern. We hire recent grads or not-so-recent grads (we pay them), teach them and give them a trial run for a full-time position.

Be creative with sending out your resume to companies that intrigue you, and emphasize how you are willing to work hard and learn.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 06:11:39 PM »
My DH is a software guy, and has never gotten a job by replying to advertisements.  The States might be different to here, but the vast majority of jobs in the tech industry here get placed through recruiters.

Hit up multiple recruitment agencies.  Your interviews etc at the recruiters are like practice interviews for the jobs.  Also, it is the recruiters *job* to place good people into the right positions.  Companies are not impressed when a recruiter sends them someone clearly unsuitable, so the recruitment agents are usually really good at filtering the jobs to match you.

The other advice he gives often is not to pin your hopes on each application.  He figures a really good strike rate is 10%, so if you apply for 200 jobs, you might get called in for 20 interviews, and you might get maybe 2 job offers.  In a tight labour market, you might need to apply for 300.  And that's OK.  It doesn't mean you suck, and it doesn't mean this is not the career for you, and it doesn't mean you'll never get a job.  It just means you need to keep on keeping on.

And yeah, nobody knows anything as a recent grad, so sure you're not in the same position as a person with experience in the actual jobs you're looking for, but you are certainly not worse off than a recent grad, and you can spin your maturity as a benefit.

sekritdino

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 12:00:31 AM »
As a software engineer making $$$$$$, I would recommend that right now you stay put. Start brushing up on your coding skills on Code Academy or Code School or whatever resource you want to. I also recommend reading Cracking the Coding Interview to prep for technical interviews. Spend a few weeks on that and start shooting off resumes to companies with offices in cities you would want to live in. Any tech company worth its salt will pay for your travel and lodging expenses for an interview. They should also be flexible on start date. Once you get an offer, tell them you want to start a month or two later, then take your time off then. The tech world is your oyster!

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 08:10:45 AM »
Few thoughts:

I'm a year older than you, and the first 3 years of my career have been a whirlwind. I thought I would be at my first employer (in a large city near where I grew up) for a while. 1.5 years later I'm looking for jobs and in late 2013 I end up moving 500+ miles away to try something new (albeit for a fantastic opportunity).

I'm just saying that your plans will change. Wants will change. Needs will change. Don't buy unless you have a spouse/kids/etc who are unwilling/unable to move with you. Buying can wait. Instead of saving cash, just keep investing while you are young and can handle the volatility.

From a personal standpoint, it's really up to you. The longer you wait, the harder it gets, and the lazier (uhh.. more comfortable) you get. You can always come back home and work retail, but now really is the time to experiment. Trust me, you'll regret not following a passion or trying something new.

It was very hard to leave my family/friends and move away, but I'm glad I did it. I may return in a few years or I may not, but the boost to my career has given me new options and the personal experience of moving to a new city and starting all over has been a good character building experience. I feel like I could go anywhere and be successful.

I'm no longer that scared guy who made the "right" and conservative decisions all the time. I took a risk, a very calculated risk, and it was the best decision. Worst case scenario, I could have gone back to my previous city and had a great career as well.

I'm rambling now, so I'll stop.

My view: Don't be afraid to try something new, and don't be afraid to fail.

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 08:30:24 AM »
Since nobody's mentioned this yet... you should open a ROTH IRA asap and max it out (at least get it open before the end of 2014, you can finish maxing it until April but only if it's already open).
It doesn't affect your taxes now, but you'll be able to withdraw the money later without any capital gains taxes.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »
Few thoughts:

I'm a year older than you, and the first 3 years of my career have been a whirlwind. I thought I would be at my first employer (in a large city near where I grew up) for a while. 1.5 years later I'm looking for jobs and in late 2013 I end up moving 500+ miles away to try something new (albeit for a fantastic opportunity).

I'm just saying that your plans will change. Wants will change. Needs will change. Don't buy unless you have a spouse/kids/etc who are unwilling/unable to move with you. Buying can wait. Instead of saving cash, just keep investing while you are young and can handle the volatility.

From a personal standpoint, it's really up to you. The longer you wait, the harder it gets, and the lazier (uhh.. more comfortable) you get. You can always come back home and work retail, but now really is the time to experiment. Trust me, you'll regret not following a passion or trying something new.

It was very hard to leave my family/friends and move away, but I'm glad I did it. I may return in a few years or I may not, but the boost to my career has given me new options and the personal experience of moving to a new city and starting all over has been a good character building experience. I feel like I could go anywhere and be successful.

I'm no longer that scared guy who made the "right" and conservative decisions all the time. I took a risk, a very calculated risk, and it was the best decision. Worst case scenario, I could have gone back to my previous city and had a great career as well.

I'm rambling now, so I'll stop.

My view: Don't be afraid to try something new, and don't be afraid to fail.

Not a ramble at all, I appreciate your point of view. I think I am finally going to quit since that's the only way I'm going to force myself to do anything, and brush up on my coding and other relevant skills as someone else had mentioned whilst I travel, and go into it head first.

I've always been a calculated risk person, and for once in my life I'd like to just let go and take a risk that isn't all that calculated. I don't think one can truly calculate what will happen when making huge moves like this...there are too many variables. In other words I'd probably never do it if I keep debating with myself and comparing my current situation (which is really comfy and good, but boring and unsatisfying) to the unknown.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 10:13:03 PM »
If you're going to leave AND travel, I advise you to travel after you leave and before you start your new career path/adventure. Corporate makes it difficult to truly travel for more than 2 weeks if your company will even let you take that much back-to back. Also, imo it's definitely better to start that searching now, while you're still young. Good luck!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »

I'm interested in this thread! What's it called please, or a link?! Thanks!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
At a crossroads...where to go from here?
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 10:20:09 PM »

http://www.ted.com/talks/meg_jay_why_30_is_not_the_new_20?language=en

You can also search the forums here for that title and find a few discussion threads on it (I'd do it for you but I'm on mobile).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »

http://www.ted.com/talks/meg_jay_why_30_is_not_the_new_20?language=en

You can also search the forums here for that title and find a few discussion threads on it (I'd do it for you but I'm on mobile).

Thank you, and I got it from here. :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!