Author Topic: Ask BC Canadian Mustachians - fair price for Internet and Basic Cable?  (Read 1780 times)

bluepearl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi fellow Canucks,
I hope you can help me.  My elderly mom who lives in Greater Vancouver BC has received the latest Shaw bill. It shows that her current price for basic cable and basic internet is CAD 99.58 and it is scheduled to increased to CAD108.68 starting next month!

This is an outrageous price.  However, I cannot convince my mom to ditch TV, it's her only form of entertainment. What is a fair price to pay (not an introductory price, which always increases) for the service, and what service providers are available in the area?  I live across the border 3 hours away from her so I can't be available for trouble shooting often, also neither of us are tech saavy, so advanced technologies, should they exist, may not work for her.  I am looking for conventional service providers or other shaw packages.  I have called shaw a year or so ago but they didn't have any elderly discount.  And they told me back than 99.58 was the best my mom could get.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

TrMama

This is a sore point for me. I'm also in BC and the only providers here are Shaw and Telus. IME neither of them care to play the "if you don't lower my bill, I'll move to your competitor" game.

Paradoxically, you might explore adding a landline to her package. We currently pay for cable/internet/phone from Shaw (MIL lives in our basement and won't give up cable). We've explored dropping the landline, but it would actually increase our monthly rate.

bluepearl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks TrMama for the confirmation that it's expensive in BC! I'll explore telus and also investigate about adding a land line with both telus and shaw.

curlyfry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am in Victoria & have Telus:

basic cable $34 + package $9  + internet $52 +$9 tax = $104

Actually I now see my bills this year have been $115.22 so must have gone up a bit!