Author Topic: armchair for sleeping: recommendations?  (Read 3063 times)

scrubbyfish

armchair for sleeping: recommendations?
« on: November 10, 2015, 11:33:46 AM »
I'm thinking seriously about trading my bed for an armchair. I live in a very small space, my internet only works in specific spots (including next to my bed, such that I sit weirdly on that a lot), it helps my body to be a bit reclined in sleep and reading, and I'd really like an armchair for reading in. It's very possible I could just swap my (landlord's) bed for an armchair from same. Certainly there are lots of armchairs at thrift shops, too.

Do any of you use an armchair as your primary sleep surface? Recommendations for what to look for, your favourites, etc?

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
Re: armchair for sleeping: recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »
 Following rotator cuff surgery my husband could only sleep in the recliner for almost a month.  He finally couldn't stand it any longer and started taking off his brace at night to be able to sleep in the bed.  I can tell you that he much prefers sleeping in the bed.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »
Maybe get an adjustable bed? Not sure of the cost, but that might solve the problem better than an armchair. Alternatively, maybe a futon?

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 04:56:56 PM »
There exist sleeper armchairs — like a sleeper sofa but it folds out to a narrow twin bed. Maybe something like that?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 06:34:05 AM »
I have nothing helpful to contribute except an oft-repeated story from an elderly relative that the reason she is under five feet tall is that she had to sleep curled up in an armchair during the war.

On a more serious note, have you considered a recliner ("old man chair") like Martin has in Frasier? Seems like it would offer a better balance between chair and bed.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 06:43:45 AM »
I have slept in arm chairs/recliners, and at first they're really comfortable, but the problem is not being able to move around enough as the night progresses.  They're not great for side sleeping (put some pressure on the knees) and I can't sleep in one position (i.e., back) all night or my hips/back get achy. YMMV.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 09:14:08 AM »
Oh yes, sorry! I do indeed mean an armchair recliner, including the type that is intended for sleep: https://www.perfectsleepchair.com/

All your notes, thoughts, input are helpful. Thank you!