Author Topic: arebelspy maybe starts a blog? Questions for potential readers.  (Read 27541 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: arebelspy maybe starts a blog? Questions for potential readers.
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2016, 07:16:48 AM »
*There is a reason why this happened then.  The careful reader of something I recommend often will have discovered the URL.

Ha Ha, I found your blog months ago but at the time only had the "about" and home page up. Nice to see you've got some content up.

Nice!  I was wondering if anyone had.  It makes me glad that you were (the?) one who did.  :)

It's very much a work in progress, so ignore broken links for now--content is being added semi-daily, though, like I said, most of it is just ripped from posts here, to start out with, so probably nothing you haven't seen.

Now I'm going to try and guess the reason for this:

**There is a reason why it may have to happen soon.  There is no reason why you would know this yet, but it will become obvious when it happens. Feel free to guess though!  ;)

Not quite as big of a reason, but along the same lines.

EDIT: Woo, first blog comment.  Thanks!  :D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:41:05 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ohmylookatthat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2016, 08:01:29 AM »
congratulations. now the real work begins. keep that guy busy

Longwaytogo

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2016, 08:24:13 AM »
*There is a reason why this happened then.  The careful reader of something I recommend often will have discovered the URL.

Ha Ha, I found your blog months ago but at the time only had the "about" and home page up. Nice to see you've got some content up.

Nice!  I was wondering if anyone had.  It makes me glad that you were (the?) one who did.  :)

It's very much a work in progress, so ignore broken links for now--content is being added semi-daily, though, like I said, most of it is just ripped from posts here, to start out with, so probably nothing you haven't seen.

Well if you remember I've had WAY to much internet time since late August so that's probably why/how I stumbled on it. 

EDIT: Woo, first blog comment.  Thanks!  :D

Ha, your welcome. They say you always remember your first

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »
We haven't blogged so far because it's seemed like work.  Now that we're FIRE'd, and especially here towards the beginning, I don't want anything we "have" to do.  Any obligations.  So having a blog, and feeling like we "should" update it was not something I was interested in.

But we do want an outlet to share our travels with family and friends, and Mustachians.  I've felt a little guilty not updating here about the Camino, and subsequent adventures.  Writing is fun, some times.

The hardest part for me is generating ideas of what to write about.  I have far more replies than threads started, even on a percent basis, because I have plenty to say in response to things, not so much to just pontificate in a vacuum.  But I may be able to come up with a few things.

I made a Instagram so that my family/friends can keep track of me. Nobody expects you to write an article on there, and I'm taking pictures anyways.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2016, 02:31:03 PM »
My favorite types of posts are people's personal experiences with optimizing their lives.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »
We haven't blogged so far because it's seemed like work.  Now that we're FIRE'd, and especially here towards the beginning, I don't want anything we "have" to do.  Any obligations.  So having a blog, and feeling like we "should" update it was not something I was interested in.

But we do want an outlet to share our travels with family and friends, and Mustachians.  I've felt a little guilty not updating here about the Camino, and subsequent adventures.  Writing is fun, some times.

The hardest part for me is generating ideas of what to write about.  I have far more replies than threads started, even on a percent basis, because I have plenty to say in response to things, not so much to just pontificate in a vacuum.  But I may be able to come up with a few things.

I made a Instagram so that my family/friends can keep track of me. Nobody expects you to write an article on there, and I'm taking pictures anyways.

Yeah, I really like that idea, but we're terrible at remembering to take pictures, and terrible at remembering to post them when we do.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »
Specificity is the soul of narrative.

I like blogs that deal with the concrete details of someone's life, rather than a lot of "Buy vs Rent" or "Says to slash your grocery budget".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2016, 07:01:22 PM »
You know "7 ways to slash your budget?"  It was a huge success.  What you need is a hook... "8 ways to slash your budget."  That's 1 more way.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2016, 07:19:44 PM »
You know "7 ways to slash your budget?"  It was a huge success.  What you need is a hook... "8 ways to slash your budget."  That's 1 more way.

At first I was like, * everything, 5 ways to slash my budget.

After seeing your post though...now mine goes to 11.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
I tried both ymmv.com and yourmilagemayvary.com. You even said in your clue that you needed to launch by May, as in "your mileage MAY vary". Thought I had it nailed, but no...

Googling your username and your real name also didn't help. Any more clues?

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2016, 10:53:18 AM »
Specificity is the soul of narrative.

I like blogs that deal with the concrete details of someone's life, rather than a lot of "Buy vs Rent" or "Says to slash your grocery budget".

I agree with this. Interesting stories, funny stuff. The discussion of what your life is like on the road - things you've discovered that everyone says "x" but...meh, maybe not so much.

I've been reading blogs from travelers of specific types (vans, rvs, etc.), working nomads, early retirees, etc. for several years, and the ones that stick with me have something specific and interesting to say that is personal in nature.

While some people like the specific $ breakdown of what things cost or where money comes from, I don't have interest in reading someone else's spreadsheet as a blog post. I do like the "how to get X service while in Y place" type of info blogs - however, only a handful of these efforts are really worth it for info that won't become dated almost immediately or isn't duplicative of what is already out there. I also suspect that for someone not driven to monetize blogging, these posts might be boring to write also if unprompted by a specific reader question.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2016, 11:02:45 AM »
My first thouggt when I read this thread title was "well, duh" but now I see that it was started months ago! I'd definitely read it, but I can see how it would be difficult to keep up with. Topics I'm interested in are much like the other recommendations : travel, real estate, baby (bc what a cute baby), your journey to FIRE, and your side hustles, tips and tricks (dare i say hacks? Nah, i daren't).

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »
I'm surprised you haven't done this already!  Seems like a natural fit.  I think the backstory, current stories and a whole lot on real estate would go over great.  There is room for more info on RE as a path to FI for sure.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »
Agree with all posters that said "tell your story".  You retired super early with relatively low salaries, right?  Who wouldn't want to understand how that is done? 

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2016, 03:13:40 PM »
Googling your username and your real name also didn't help.
Feel better now because I know I'm not the only one who did that. And wasn't successful. LOL

I missed this thread first time round but I think we did talk about blogging when we met so that I assume you already know I'd definitely read it. :-)  As for the reason it might be soon, all I can think of after reading this thread is that you've finished that book on real estate investing that was mentioned up above and it's going to be published soon. Or maybe you've been interviewed by, say, the New Yorker and it's coming out soon? Yeah, I'm not much good on guessing. I'll still read your blog though.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2016, 05:42:52 PM »

Googling your username and your real name also didn't help.
Feel better now because I know I'm not the only one who did that. And wasn't successful. LOL

I tried both ymmv.com and yourmilagemayvary.com. You even said in your clue that you needed to launch by May, as in "your mileage MAY vary". Thought I had it nailed, but no...

Googling your username and your real name also didn't help. Any more clues?

Haha, couldn't make it that easy.

Until recently, there was just one way to find it (that I hinted at above). Now there's other ways.

But no, it's not linked to this username. :)

Thanks for the thoughts everyone--making it "personal" will definitely be high on our list of goals for it. 

I missed this thread first time round but I think we did talk about blogging when we met so that I assume you already know I'd definitely read it. :-)  As for the reason it might be soon, all I can think of after reading this thread is that you've finished that book on real estate investing that was mentioned up above and it's going to be published soon. Or maybe you've been interviewed by, say, the New Yorker and it's coming out soon? Yeah, I'm not much good on guessing. I'll still read your blog though.

Nothing that prestigious, but closest guess so far. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2016, 09:08:02 PM »
Comment #2!  Curious how you found it, @FiveSigmas--direct listing of the URL (first hint I gave) or Googling based on more recent posts made in it (second way).  :)

munch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2016, 01:20:46 AM »

Another financial blog is not needed.  Well let me rephrase that borrowing from a quote i heard before...  "another financial blog is not needed; what is needed is another outstanding financial blog".  (original quote i think was talking about lawyers)

But really, the financial blogs all seem to say pretty much same thing.  All the useful pertinent guidance can be summarized now on about one page.

What is needed are more detailed or somewhat detailed examples of how a successful person/couple applied the principals to their own lives and decisions.   The logic steps they used in making a major decision or even minor decisions in their lives.

Your postings and responses in this forum are consistently logical, straightforward and practical.  I would bookmark a site i knew would not waste my time with the usual pf stuff.

A question and answer section where the peeps could pose a question and if chosen get a reply from arebelspy would be the most value added feature that is currently not available enough.  Presently, the guy only responds intermittently on this forum.   

that's my opinion.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2016, 02:54:35 AM »
Where's our LINK to the BLOG?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2016, 05:46:29 AM »

Another financial blog is not needed.  Well let me rephrase that borrowing from a quote i heard before...  "another financial blog is not needed; what is needed is another outstanding financial blog".  (original quote i think was talking about lawyers)

But really, the financial blogs all seem to say pretty much same thing.  All the useful pertinent guidance can be summarized now on about one page.

What is needed are more detailed or somewhat detailed examples of how a successful person/couple applied the principals to their own lives and decisions.   The logic steps they used in making a major decision or even minor decisions in their lives.

Your postings and responses in this forum are consistently logical, straightforward and practical.  I would bookmark a site i knew would not waste my time with the usual pf stuff.

A question and answer section where the peeps could pose a question and if chosen get a reply from arebelspy would be the most value added feature that is currently not available enough.  Presently, the guy only responds intermittently on this forum.   

that's my opinion.

That's all really good. I agree.

I do think I need some of those posts, initially, as reference posts, because they answer the most common questions about ER.

Any MMM readers may know what we mean when we say early retirement, may understand the math that makes it work, and those posts are boring.

They're boring for me, too.

But I also feel like I need to have some of that basic information initially as a reference for those readers who don't know these simple basics. We were all there once.

So we're planning on having all that stuff available at launch, then not posting basic personal finance stuff like that again.

Where's our LINK to the BLOG?

Not ready for launch yet. A few detectives have found it, but while it's good presentation-wise (IMO), it's nowhere close to ready content-wise.  :)

Appreciating the thoughts/suggestions from everyone!

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2016, 06:42:50 AM »
Comment #2!  Curious how you found it, @FiveSigmas--direct listing of the URL (first hint I gave) or Googling based on more recent posts made in it (second way).  :)

I don't know about @FiveSigmas but I found it with a bit of Google-fu based on what I know about your story. (I don't remember which search terms ended up being successful because it took a few tries.) I've added it to my RSS feed and look forward to reading it once it's up and running.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2016, 07:14:29 AM »

I don't know about @FiveSigmas but I found it with a bit of Google-fu based on what I know about your story. (I don't remember which search terms ended up being successful because it took a few tries.) I've added it to my RSS feed and look forward to reading it once it's up and running.

Nice.  :D

You must have been quite clever about it, because I can't find it now on Google even knowing some terms to search for!

That will become a more and more viable strategy (and easier to find) as we post more content.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2016, 07:30:20 AM »
I do think I need some of those posts, initially, as reference posts, because they answer the most common questions about ER.

Any MMM readers may know what we mean when we say early retirement, may understand the math that makes it work, and those posts are boring.

They're boring for me, too.

But I also feel like I need to have some of that basic information initially as a reference for those readers who don't know these simple basics. We were all there once.

So we're planning on having all that stuff available at launch, then not posting basic personal finance stuff like that again.
Why regurgitate PF stuff that other bloggers have already covered, and covered well? Is your goal to monetize the blog? I'm wondering because, from the posts of yours I've read, the obligation to a duplication of effort doesn't seem like something you'd be interested in, as opposed to referring people to existing content that you think is well written. I'm totally not against monetizing, BTW, just curious.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2016, 07:40:46 AM »
You're living the life many people dream about but have no idea how to make happen.  Lots of good answers here about breaking it down into specifics.  One very important one would be "How we decided we could in fact achieve FIRE on two teachers' salaries", and the steps, including state of mind/mentality/positivity.  Because most people would just dismiss the whole FIRE thing because they don't make $80 - 100K per year.  You're here to show them how.

I'd totally read your blog. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2016, 07:45:08 AM »
Why regurgitate PF stuff that other bloggers have already covered, and covered well?

Because, like I said, there are just common questions people who aren't a part of the ER community have, that they'd like answered.  To already have those posts done that they can reference would help them.  Those posts are not for MMM readers, they're for other people coming across the site/story and wanting to know more about how it's done.

Is your goal to monetize the blog? I'm wondering because, from the posts of yours I've read, the obligation to a duplication of effort doesn't seem like something you'd be interested in, as opposed to referring people to existing content that you think is well written. I'm totally not against monetizing, BTW, just curious.

The goal is not to monetize the blog, but there will be some monetization, regardless.

100% of the profits from the blog will go to charity.  Seems silly to leave free money on the table (e.g. if I'm going to link to something anyways that has an affiliate program, such as an Amazon link, might as well use an affiliate link) when it could be put to use helping someone.  But the monetization will be sparse.  No ads are planned, for example, and affiliate stuff should be rare, at most.

We don't need, nor want income to ever be even a side-goal of the blog.  So making the decision to not keep any that is made helps keep out some of the more powerful conflicts of interest that come with that.

Overall though, I'd expect almost no monetization.

You're living the life many people dream about but have no idea how to make happen.  Lots of good answers here about breaking it down into specifics.  One very important one would be "How we decided we could in fact achieve FIRE on two teachers' salaries", and the steps, including state of mind/mentality/positivity.  Because most people would just dismiss the whole FIRE thing because they don't make $80 - 100K per year.  You're here to show them how.

I'd totally read your blog. :)

Hmm, I will have to think about how to convey that.  For us, it was pretty simple math.  We live on $X.  We make $Y, which is about 4 times more than X... 75% savings rate rockets you to FI pretty quick.  Not much psychology/mentality needed when we saw it working right away, and money piling up (despite major mistakes, it kept pouring in faster than we could spend).

Probably the hard part most people will have trouble believing is how to live on 25% of your sub-100k salary.  :)

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2016, 07:47:12 AM »
I typed in four keywords and your blog was #9 listing on google.  Found it on the first try. 

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »

Nice.  :D

You must have been quite clever about it, because I can't find it now on Google even knowing some terms to search for!

That will become a more and more viable strategy (and easier to find) as we post more content.

I'm having trouble replicating those results now as I can't seem to find the site using the same search terms I tried last time. Even when I type in the name of the site it doesn't show up on the first few pages of results. I can only seem to get back by typing in the URL directly.

Hopefully once you start adding more content to the site it will improve its visibility in Google's search results (assuming that's what you want).

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2016, 08:13:11 AM »
Why regurgitate PF stuff that other bloggers have already covered, and covered well?

Because, like I said, there are just common questions people who aren't a part of the ER community have, that they'd like answered.  To already have those posts done that they can reference would help them.  Those posts are not for MMM readers, they're for other people coming across the site/story and wanting to know more about how it's done.
What I meant was, why rewrite content others have covered instead of referring people to that existing content? Is that taboo in blogging? (I know about zero re: the business of blogging) Maybe it's just easier to rewrite it?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »
Hopefully once you start adding more content to the site it will improve its visibility in Google's search results (assuming that's what you want).

Meh.  Maybe some day.  Right now, don't care about SEO, monetization, social media, etc.  It's a blog for fun, and because people have asked for it.  If I was blogging for profit, it would be done quite differently.

What I meant was, why rewrite content others have covered instead of referring people to that existing content? Is that taboo in blogging? (I know about zero re: the business of blogging) Maybe it's just easier to rewrite it?

I think someone on my site for my story wanting to know how it works is less likely to random MadFIentist/GCC/MMM/etc. links and read them than they would my spin on it.  Even though those other ones are better written, if you're going to a site to read about two teachers who ER'd at 29 and are traveling the world, you want to know how they did it, and hear them explain how you can do it.  Maybe some people will read links to other content, and I'll certainly include that, but I don't think my "reference posts" on those common questions we get can just be a link to another site.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2016, 06:15:48 PM »

I think someone on my site for my story wanting to know how it works is less likely to random MadFIentist/GCC/MMM/etc. links and read them than they would my spin on it.  Even though those other ones are better written, if you're going to a site to read about two teachers who ER'd at 29 and are traveling the world, you want to know how they did it, and hear them explain how you can do it.  Maybe some people will read links to other content, and I'll certainly include that, but I don't think my "reference posts" on those common questions we get can just be a link to another site.
Makes sense.

On my blog I just created a page for recommended learning where I wrote blurbs about the specific FIRE concepts (Roth IRA ladder, ACA subsidies, etc.) that I intend to utilize/are utilizing and referring the reader the the places I learned about them that I thought were worth referring to. If I reference a concept in a post I can just kick the reader to that recommending learning page for continued learning. At the moment though I only half-heartedly care about the blog because it's as much for me as it is for anyone else at the moment. However, your story is much more worth sharing than mine. I can understand where it'd be worth having everything "under one roof."

I wanted to ask in case I was violating some unspoken, common rule of blogging.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »

Makes sense.

On my blog I just created a page for recommended learning where I wrote blurbs about the specific FIRE concepts (Roth IRA ladder, ACA subsidies, etc.) that I intend to utilize/are utilizing and referring the reader the the places I learned about them that I thought were worth referring to. If I reference a concept in a post I can just kick the reader to that recommending learning page for continued learning. At the moment though I only half-heartedly care about the blog because it's as much for me as it is for anyone else at the moment. However, your story is much more worth sharing than mine. I can understand where it'd be worth having everything "under one roof."

I wanted to ask in case I was violating some unspoken, common rule of blogging.

No rule that I'm aware of--in fact, I'm sure people want you linking to their stuff.  ;)

I definitely won't be writing about IRAs.  Or Roth rollovers.  Or Taxes.  Links to GCC, MadFientist, etc. will be abundant, for those.

But the shockingly simple math, I'll explain.  The concept of what early retirement even IS (i.e., not just sitting on the couch all day), I'll have a post on.  Just some of those simple concepts to introduce.  Just when the site is launched, to be able to point to.

Then hopefully none of that crap anymore.  :)

Longwaytogo

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2016, 09:10:39 PM »
I was originally leaning towards what Mr. Green was thinking like why waste time or re-create the wheel. Link to the Shockingly simple math, RoG, GCC, etc and be done. But then when you posted this:

I now more see/agree with your point. Obviously for us MMMers coming over to your blog we likely already have read and enjoyed many of the other FI blogs and get the concept. But if your third cousin, ex-coworker, people you meet traveling, etc. want to learn more they may be more intrigued hearing it from the Horses ARS mouth.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2016, 09:45:59 PM »
Looking forward to it!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2016, 03:34:44 AM »

Nothing that prestigious, but closest guess so far. :)

Interview/guest post on MMM?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2016, 03:53:49 AM »
Already did the guest post, but nope, not an MMM interview.  Closer though.  :)

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »

Brandon at Mad Fientist podcast?

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2016, 09:12:04 AM »
I would totally read your blog and obviously you have a strong following on here so I'd expect it to be pretty successful!  Echo everyone else's suggestions for real facts, your personal story, etc.  I've also done some thinking about blogging (it would be lifestyle/ travel/ personal finance oriented) but the major stumbling block I keep running into is a deep reluctance to (1) make my life public in that way and (2) concern about posting photos of us and our kid.  I realize I could do it anonymously and not post photos of us but then you lose the personal connection (which I enjoy with say MMM and GoCurryCracker), and as you're probably realizing from this thread, it seems to be not all that difficult to connect an anonymous blog with a real person these days.  What are your thoughts about these two issues?  Is the benefit of engaging with your audience, keeping family and friends updated, inspiring others, etc. worth the trade-off in losing privacy and anonymity?  I was starting to get comfortable with the risk but then a lifestyle/design blog I read (which included pics of the writer and her family) shut itself down following some scary-sounding threats from a reader, and the vicious cycle of worry started all over again. :-P   Would love to hear where you come out on this as it might help me work through similar issues.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2016, 10:09:17 AM »
I would like to see some specifics on how to travel with kids. Or just how difficult/what to expect. How do you get them to sit still or just entertain them for hours on a plane. Any specifics to world travel that most of us don't get to see would be interesting; the BumFuzzle article about crossing the panama canal comes to mind.

**another kid, buying a house/farm, buy a boat to sail, all three?

I'll just wait for the link already wasted too much time.

Some of the Realestate articles/blogs can seem unrealistic or unrelateale. I go to biggerpockets occasionally, and I am sure there are some good posters but there are a lot of them that are 20 yo and think they can make $1mil in the next 18 months or something. I am sure if I put in the time I could find some good content there but it is just hard to find. Think of a way to be specific yet not boring so that others can put their selves in your shoes to see how they could do the same thing.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »
Posts *I'd* like to see from the traveling spy family:

"The traveling landlord's electronic bookshelf" - essentially, look back through the book recommendation list, and suggest which one's you'd check-out from the library to read, and which one's you want to keep on-hand (electronically, since you're now a traveling landlord).  Which books do you insist your local 'PM team' keep on-hand for reference (i.e. the "Landlording" book with all those full-sized forms, perhaps?)

"Mortgage notes for mustachians:  benefits & pitfalls" - explain your take on mortgage notes that may seem well covered in places like Bigger Pockets, the different 'note exchanges', etc, but give us the view through 'rebel-spy-glasses'. (yes, you can use this for your blog)...

"Brick & Mortar home ownership vs. Notes" - you'll know what I'm talking about here.

"Even teachers can do this", etc.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »

Brandon at Mad Fientist podcast?

I would totally read your blog and obviously you have a strong following on here so I'd expect it to be pretty successful!  Echo everyone else's suggestions for real facts, your personal story, etc.  I've also done some thinking about blogging (it would be lifestyle/ travel/ personal finance oriented) but the major stumbling block I keep running into is a deep reluctance to (1) make my life public in that way and (2) concern about posting photos of us and our kid.  I realize I could do it anonymously and not post photos of us but then you lose the personal connection (which I enjoy with say MMM and GoCurryCracker), and as you're probably realizing from this thread, it seems to be not all that difficult to connect an anonymous blog with a real person these days.  What are your thoughts about these two issues?  Is the benefit of engaging with your audience, keeping family and friends updated, inspiring others, etc. worth the trade-off in losing privacy and anonymity?  I was starting to get comfortable with the risk but then a lifestyle/design blog I read (which included pics of the writer and her family) shut itself down following some scary-sounding threats from a reader, and the vicious cycle of worry started all over again. :-P   Would love to hear where you come out on this as it might help me work through similar issues.

Not worried about anonymity at all.

I do think privacy is a very important concept--I think people should have anonymity from giant entities that can hurt them--e.g. the government, which can use force, and imprison someone.  Since we don't have that nowadays, due to the blatant disregards for our constitutional rights, all I can do is shrug on that, and vote my beliefs.

Anonymity from strangers on the Internet?  I don't care.  We should have the right to keep ourselves private (e.g. I'm against a site like Facebook or Google, for example, requiring real names to sign up), but I don't worry about danger in choosing to give up that right.

Think about how many people are NOT anonymous.  Every celebrity.  Internet personas.  Think of any person you can name who you've never met. Tons of bloggers, like JLCollins, MMM, etc.  Any author you've ever read.  Like you said, how easy is it to connect someone's name to their personal information.

The actual instances of stalking or other issues are low.  Very, very low.  Real stalking instances are much more likely from someone like an ex-SO.  I don't worry about things with very low probability.

I would like to see some specifics on how to travel with kids. Or just how difficult/what to expect. How do you get them to sit still or just entertain them for hours on a plane. Any specifics to world travel that most of us don't get to see would be interesting; the BumFuzzle article about crossing the panama canal comes to mind.

**another kid, buying a house/farm, buy a boat to sail, all three?

I'll just wait for the link already wasted too much time.

Some of the Realestate articles/blogs can seem unrealistic or unrelateale. I go to biggerpockets occasionally, and I am sure there are some good posters but there are a lot of them that are 20 yo and think they can make $1mil in the next 18 months or something. I am sure if I put in the time I could find some good content there but it is just hard to find. Think of a way to be specific yet not boring so that others can put their selves in your shoes to see how they could do the same thing.

Posts *I'd* like to see from the traveling spy family:

"The traveling landlord's electronic bookshelf" - essentially, look back through the book recommendation list, and suggest which one's you'd check-out from the library to read, and which one's you want to keep on-hand (electronically, since you're now a traveling landlord).  Which books do you insist your local 'PM team' keep on-hand for reference (i.e. the "Landlording" book with all those full-sized forms, perhaps?)

"Mortgage notes for mustachians:  benefits & pitfalls" - explain your take on mortgage notes that may seem well covered in places like Bigger Pockets, the different 'note exchanges', etc, but give us the view through 'rebel-spy-glasses'. (yes, you can use this for your blog)...

"Brick & Mortar home ownership vs. Notes" - you'll know what I'm talking about here.

"Even teachers can do this", etc.

Great ideas from both of you, thanks!  Didn't have RE notes on my list, but should have.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2016, 06:17:57 PM »
Important these all come from the "View thru arebelspy-glass", please... ;-)

[BTW... I *finally* came up with the unique perspective I could bring to all this, and have started "Mother Fussbudget's No Fuss Budget" blog.  For those over 50 - late to the game - attempting a 'not-so-Early-Retirement'.  You'll be among the first to know via PM when it's ready for bloggity face punches]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:22:20 PM by Mother Fussbudget »

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2016, 07:56:44 AM »
Do you have any links/recommendations to the resources to start a blog?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2016, 08:29:23 AM »
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/redditor-asks-for-a-mmmramit-blog-for-non-high-income-earners/?topicseen

A blog leaning towards lower income earners, maybe?

Yes. I think there's a demand for this, ARS, and you and Allie have lived it.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2016, 10:58:42 AM »
I found it a little while back, when you had a link on someone else's website and so far like it a lot.
Bloggin IS work. I have had a (non financial) blog for years and it definitely is work.
I have also tried an FI blog, that has been a bit idle, as I always have issues pulling the trigger on posts I write,
as I don't want to rehash stuff that so many others have covered.
At the same time I was hoping to use that blog to donate more to charity (not making any money yet) eventually, but then
too much in your face monetization bothers me too......not so esay

Knowing how you guys write and live, you won't have any issues with writing great posts.
In terms of content, I'd say write about what you want to share.
I bet a lot of people are interested in your journey to fire and then what you are doing with your freedom now.

But you need to figure out where you want to go with it first.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2016, 11:38:25 AM »
GASP!  This is funny to me because you came over to my journal, barged into my life, and sounded soooo sure about the blogging thing for me... It's funny that you're over here asking if you should or not for you!

Didn't check the timeline though....to see if you posted this before or after you convinced me to start a blog.

Good luck, CAN'T wait to read yours! 

regarding pontificating in a vacuum vs replying to posts.... You could have a series of FAQ.  Kind of like dear abby.  So whatever question you feel inspired to write about, you just say "A friend/random internet stranger asked xxxxxx.  Here's what I think".

Go with what you're good at, right?  Find your own voice, your own way of doing things.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2016, 01:26:25 PM »
This thread is old. Blog domain was acquired over 6 months ago.

Blog domain was outed in Jim's book, though I think only LWTG found it that way, then on a much wider scale by the MadFIentist interview a few months ago.

Have many posts written, just haven't uploaded them.  Hard to get interested in it, since it's something I'm doing for other's sake, rather than my own.

GASP!  This is funny to me because you came over to my journal, barged into my life, and sounded soooo sure about the blogging thing for me... It's funny that you're over here asking if you should or not for you!

My problem is I have too much money, and not enough time.

(I anticipate making six figures next year--while retired, traveling the world and "working" less than an hour a week, all on things I enjoy.)

Your problem is that you have too little money (and not enough time ;) ), and the time you do have is being paid at is minimum wage or lower, as you're in Mexico.

Blogging is one solution to earning money online, so you are paid in US dollars while spending in pesos.  Google "geographic arbitrage."

I am paid in US dollars, and spend in lots of currencies.  It works well.

You need to leverage that tool, and your ability to speak English, as should anyone in a country where they earn very low wages, IMO.

Sorry to barge in; just trying to help. :)

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2016, 08:00:46 PM »
Barge away!  I was just trying to be funny.  Found your blog and signed up for your newsletter.  I know you have no motivation to do it.....but I'd love to hear about your real estate journey.