Author Topic: Area rugs  (Read 4279 times)

madame librarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Area rugs
« on: August 19, 2014, 07:47:44 AM »
I have a clause in my lease that says I have to cover 80% of the beautiful hardwood in my apartment with rugs. When we signed the lease, we thought this would be fine, but now it seems like we may not be able to do this for less than $800. It's not a lot in the scheme of things, but I am kind of annoyed about having to shell out that kind of money on rugs that are likely to be too big to ever use again. We have to cover a room that is 12'11"x15'6" and a room that is 13'6"x11'6".

Does anybody have ideas for how to do this inexpensively? And/or solutions I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!!

ingrownstudentloans

• Bristles
Re: Area rugs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:53:38 AM »
we just bought some nice rugs from Wayfair.com 7'9" x 10' for about 120 a piece.  2 of them should take care of your rooms.  Good luck!

I could get a referral bonus for referring you - if so inclined, click here: http://www.wayfair.com/invite?rfr=541244000486

otherwise, click here: http://www.wayfair.com/

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:54:51 AM »
Sisal

Lots of smaller rugs. Borrow or second hand.
Carpet remnant from roll end

Heavy canvas, well binded to lay flat.  Like what is used outdoors.  You can paint these too.

Look at what contractors use to protect floors.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:47:22 AM »
try habitat for humanity, they have large rugs often and they are cheap. but ugly sometimes :S

Krnten

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
That's a fairly standard lease clause esp in NYC buildings.   You may just want to start by asking your downstairs neighbor to let you know of there's too much noise from your apt before you buy all those rugs.  In our coop building, we only enforce that clause if there's complaining from a downstairs neighbor.

sassy1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »
Craigslist or estate sales. 

madame librarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:18:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies! After I posted this thread I looked on Amazon again, and stumbled across some 7'x10' $30 rugs with actually decent reviews, so I just went ahead and purchased them.

I don't have any downstairs neighbors, so the noise isn't an issue for us. I would just leave the place uncarpeted, but the finish on the floor isn't that good (IMO) and my cat's claws have been making light scratches in it just from running around, so I really do have to put something down.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:25:33 AM »
try habitat for humanity, they have large rugs often and they are cheap. but ugly sometimes :S

Definitely! Our local Re-Store had tons of GIGANTIC area rugs that looked everything from gaudy to normal. And usually were around $50 even for the humongous ones.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
That's a fairly standard lease clause esp in NYC buildings.   You may just want to start by asking your downstairs neighbor to let you know of there's too much noise from your apt before you buy all those rugs.  In our coop building, we only enforce that clause if there's complaining from a downstairs neighbor.

This exactly.  You can probably get away with way less than 80% too, as long as you cover major pathways.  If you take off your shoes in the house, you probably don't need any