Author Topic: Are you in a Briggs-Myers Mixed partnership. What have you learned?  (Read 17339 times)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
Re: Are you in a Briggs-Myers Mixed partnership. What have you learned?
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »
Scrubbyfish:

I am glad you posted.  Watching a child develop into the person they are must be fascinating because unlike any other relationship you start out loving them and only discover who they are over time.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2015, 04:10:23 PM »
Scrubbyfish:

I am glad you posted.  Watching a child develop into the person they are must be fascinating because unlike any other relationship you start out loving them and only discover who they are over time.

Yep! For some reason, I had assumed he would be an introvert, so originally planned to have one kid, homeschool him, yadda yadda. As he developed, I got to see who he is and was surprised!

I predict his ESFP will result in an easier, more joyful life than mine was (before this point), and I'm grateful for who and what he brings into my life via these traits (especially the E; I can send him on people missions!).

With kids, I also believe (is it just me??) that we love them so intensely partly because we witness their incredible effort at developing. We don't get to see this as explicitly in adults (exceptions are things like witnessing people recover from addiction or turn their financial life around), so this element can be absent in a lot of adult/adult relationships.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »
That give an ENTJ describes me to a T. Don't know what my wife is.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2015, 02:11:08 AM »
Yep! For some reason, I had assumed he would be an introvert, so originally planned to have one kid, homeschool him, yadda yadda. As he developed, I got to see who he is and was surprised!

It's amazing to watch them develop over the years.  You see them grow and change, and at the same time, you also see how in some ways, they've always been that way.  Whatever it is "that way" is, which might have been a surprise to the parents.  We like to say, "They come with a lot of their own stuff."  Because they do!  It became more apparent to us after having a second child.  He's got his own stuff, too, and it's different from the first one!  Who knew this could happen?  It's sounds so silly to write it out like that, but it really is a process of acceptance and understanding.  You feel, as a parent, that you've got this job of guiding them and molding them and teaching them.  But then you learn that you also have to honor who they are, respect who they are, give them what THEY need based on who they are not necessarily what would be right for you.  Turns out, you don't get little carbon copies or blank sets.  You birth a person.  Goodness, nobody warned me about that!!!  ;)

Lovelife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What did you learn from your non-INTJ partner?
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2016, 02:39:13 PM »
For those wanting to know more about myers-briggs typing

If you give an ENFJ a cookie, they’ll probably encourage you to develop your confectionary skills and offer friendly advice on how to achieve your cookie goals.

If you give an ENFP a cookie, they’ll probably wonder how they would taste if dipped in pudding, or if they could write out little messages with the chocolate chips, or maybe whether…

If you give an ENTJ a cookie, they’ll probably develop a strategy to monopolize the cookie market on an international scale.

If you give an ENTP a cookie, they’ll probably use it as an alternative fuel source.

If you give an ESFJ a cookie, they’ll probably ask for the recipe so they can use it for their upcoming neighborhood book club meeting.

If you give an ESFP a cookie, they’ll probably want some alcohol to go with it.

If you give an ESTJ a cookie, they’ll probably ask you to always deliver cookies on the second Wednesday of each month at 9:45 AM henceforward.

If you give an ESTP a cookie, they’ll probably eat half of it and sell the other half for twice what it was worth.

If you give an INFJ a cookie, they’ll probably realize that you’re giving out cookies because you feel insecure about your place in the group, and tell you that you don’t have to buy their friendship because they love and accept you as a person.

If you give an INFP a cookie, they’ll probably remark on how cookies are a metaphor for the soul.

If you give an INTJ a cookie, they’ll probably perform chemical calculations to discover how to maximize the enjoyment of the cookie.

If you give an INTP a cookie, they’ll probably start telling you how cookies were initially invented by the Persians in the 7th century and were brought to Europe during the 8th century when…

An ISFJ gives you a cookie.

If you give an ISFP a cookie, they’ll probably dip it in a glass of warm milk and take a nap afterwards.

If you give an ISTJ a cookie, they’ll probably check to make sure the cookie meets official confectionary standards before consuming it.

If you give an ISTP a cookie, they’ll probably eat the cookie. It’s a cookie. That’s what you do with cookies.

I haven't finished reading this thread to be able to comment on the actual topic (found it looking for INFP threads), but this is one of the best of these I've seen. Extremely accurate in a hilarious way. :)

ragesinggoddess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »
We are a matched set. We both think MBTI is bullshit.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 03:56:06 PM »
I'm an ENFP, husband is of the "classifications are bullshit" type. :P

I love the various personality tests, I think it's a great tool for understanding my self and others(to a certain extent of course). I participated in a Four Lenses training session with coworkers recently which categorizes personalities on a color scheme (green, blue, orange, yellow) based on personal values. This one was particularly enlightening because it shows how different people rationalize their actions based on their value system. I fell into the unicorn category, I was almost completely even among the four colors, leaning slightly heavy on the blue, yellow end (odd because I'm an engineer which is stereotypically green). But understanding what are deal breakers or requirements for trust in different people (apparently being late is a huge faux pa for some, but not a big deal for others) showed me how much my values differ and how that could affect motivation or communication.

I did read in a magazine just last month that Myers-Briggs actually has very little clout in the psychology world and that the Big Five is preferred and validated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 03:57:58 PM »
Wow these are fun.  And now I am doubting my INTJ-ness - INTP? ISTP?  Argh, my whole sense of self is reeling!!

If you give an ENFJ a cookie, they’ll probably encourage you to develop your confectionary skills and offer friendly advice on how to achieve your cookie goals.

If you give an ENFP a cookie, they’ll probably wonder how they would taste if dipped in pudding, or if they could write out little messages with the chocolate chips, or maybe whether…

If you give an ENTJ a cookie, they’ll probably develop a strategy to monopolize the cookie market on an international scale.

If you give an ENTP a cookie, they’ll probably use it as an alternative fuel source.

If you give an ESFJ a cookie, they’ll probably ask for the recipe so they can use it for their upcoming neighborhood book club meeting.

If you give an ESFP a cookie, they’ll probably want some alcohol to go with it.

If you give an ESTJ a cookie, they’ll probably ask you to always deliver cookies on the second Wednesday of each month at 9:45 AM henceforward.

If you give an ESTP a cookie, they’ll probably eat half of it and sell the other half for twice what it was worth.

If you give an INFJ a cookie, they’ll probably realize that you’re giving out cookies because you feel insecure about your place in the group, and tell you that you don’t have to buy their friendship because they love and accept you as a person.

If you give an INFP a cookie, they’ll probably remark on how cookies are a metaphor for the soul.

If you give an INTJ a cookie, they’ll probably perform chemical calculations to discover how to maximize the enjoyment of the cookie.

If you give an INTP a cookie, they’ll probably start telling you how cookies were initially invented by the Persians in the 7th century and were brought to Europe during the 8th century when…

An ISFJ gives you a cookie.

If you give an ISFP a cookie, they’ll probably dip it in a glass of warm milk and take a nap afterwards.

If you give an ISTJ a cookie, they’ll probably check to make sure the cookie meets official confectionary standards before consuming it.

If you give an ISTP a cookie, they’ll probably eat the cookie. It’s a cookie. That’s what you do with cookies.

I haven't finished reading this thread to be able to comment on the actual topic (found it looking for INFP threads), but this is one of the best of these I've seen. Extremely accurate in a hilarious way. :)

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2016, 10:53:37 PM »
Myers Briggs is popular for teambuilding because many people find it relatable, despite the fact that it has little-to-no scientific validity. It provides a good framework for people to talk about their preferences and differences. So I'll play...

I'm an ENFP (sometimes I lean ENFJ at work) married to my opposite, an ISTJ.

I've learned that it's wonderful to be in a relationship with someone who is strong in what you lack, and vice versa. I get to be spontaneous and playful and he's thoughtful and pragmatic. I'm comforted by his evenness while he enjoys my quirkiness. I love big-picture planning and he's a genius with details and logic. It's pretty great combination!

Over the years I suspect we've influenced each other. For example I too have learned to love spreadsheets, even if it's my gut (intuition) that makes most of my decisions. I see a lot of benefit in both of our "ways of being."

As a side note one of my mentors once told me that people tend to become more introverted as they get older. I suspect that this is true. I used to be strongly extroverted but these days I need more alone-time to recharge. Until my mid-thirties I never needed 'introvert days' but now I need a few every month.

SIS

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2016, 06:10:02 AM »

That's me! And I totally would..

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2016, 06:51:16 AM »
I'm ENFP (f) married to INTJ (m). One thing he's learned about me is that he has to go out and socialize with me at least once or twice a week to "refill". One thing I've learned from him is that I have to say what I'm feeling, because he's not as good as reading my emotions, and also that he needs to have his downtime alone to recharge.

Once or twice a week!  Holy crap. Talk about extrovert overload.  You're lucky he'll do that for you. I think I'd curl up into a ball and cry if I had to go out twice every single week.

I don't remember what my letters are, but Meyer's-Briggs was the first time I was categorized as an introvert. I'm loud and extremely talkative. I love public speaking and can make conversation with a brick wall if I have to. But I have incredible anxiety about new situations would much rather than run away than actually go into a party. The idea of a talkative introvert really confuses people.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2016, 10:51:22 AM »
Fun Zombie Thread!

I'm an INFJ (have also tested as INFP) woman married to an ISTP man.

My husband is so good at living in the moment and having fun while I'm a worrier and a planner and a weight of the world type person. He gets me out of my own head and is my perfect balance.

As for what he gets from me, I think he has learned to consider other people's feelings and the world in general. He is much more thoughtful now than he was ten years ago.