Author Topic: Are there meals that you eat almost every day or week?  (Read 12156 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Are there meals that you eat almost every day or week?
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2018, 01:09:33 PM »
Before meeting my wife I would view food as a way to keep from getting dizzy rather than something for enjoyment.  The last time she was out of the country for work for three weeks I ate the following every day:

Breakfast
- oatmeal w/banana

Lunch
- turkey
- mashed potatoes
- spinach/walnut/mandarin orange salad

Supper
- roast pork
- brown rice / onions / butter
- raw carrots and beets

It makes meal planning soooooo much easier.  Honestly, by the end of the third week you don't even miss having different food.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2018, 02:49:57 PM »
A couple times a week I eat a baked potato/ sweet potato with cottage cheese and broccoli/peas/whatever other frozen veggies we have on hand.
Acorn or spaghetti squash with homemade sauce every week, some sort of bean stew, and then salad are my staple meals to round out the menu.
Lately I've been on a quest to eat enough potassium, and it's not easy.  So these last couple of weeks I've added a glass or two of low-sodium V8 to my daily diet, and that's been surprisingly satisfying. 

I could eat a sandwich every day, but I try not to.  There's not enough nutrition to justify the calories.  Gah! I'm becoming one of those health nuts who eats for the nutrients contained rather than flavor. 

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2018, 04:03:43 PM »
We eat grilled cheese (on Wegmans rosemary bread for those people who have wegmans) with tomato soup for dinner once a week.

eliza

• Bristles
Re: Are thre meals that you eat almost every day or week?
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »
PTF.

I'm trying to find more meals to add to my rotation, since I'm not exactly creative in the kitchen.

Mostly, my go to meals are:
  • Some kind of stir fry + rice
  • Pasta + veggies + sauce
  • Cold Pasta Salad w/ veggies + tuna/eggs
  • Baked Potato + Veggies
  • Tacos/Burritos
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:56:42 PM by eliza »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »
DH is soooo predictible! I love it because it makes shopping easy and doesn't require much brainpower before the crack of dawn.
Breakfast is:
- Overnight Oats (1/2 c. Old fashion oats + coconut + 1 dried fruit (blueberries/cranberries/apricots/fgs) + flax seed + cinnamon + nutmeg + allspice + clove. Once cooked, I add fresh berries and a squirt of Agave Syrup.
- Plain yogurt with a little honey
- 4 oz. Green Juice

Lunch is:
- Turkey w/ pepper jack, lettuce, and tomato on Dave's Killer Bread
- Celery or carrots w/ homemade yogurt cheese ranch-style dip
- Grapes
- Cheese Stick
- Sun Chips
- Sometimes I add a Cutie or a cookie, but not often.

Dinner varies,  but probably not as much as I'd like to think it does, lol. Two mainstays are
- Tacos and all the related meals (burritos, tostadas, taco salads)
- Pizza made at home (with purchased crusts)

Honestly, I think I could just alternate between the two and they would be happy.

Otherwise, I try to cram veggies in everywhere I can. Also, I'm a vegetarian so I make things that are easily convertible. For instance, I batch cook grass-fed beef for Tacos for them and nuke a little bowl of Boca Crumbles for me. Black Beans are cooked from dry, vegetarian-style, by me and nobody knows the difference.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's replies!

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2018, 05:01:37 AM »
Breakfast - big bowl of oats and milk, with sliced apple - every morning!

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2018, 05:42:28 AM »
Oatmeal banana muffins (homemade), oatmeal with sunflower seeds & honey for breakfast. Lunches, largest meal of the day: some type of one dish meal involving brown rice, beans, tomatoes & meat for a garnish. Dinner, lighter meal, we pick from: smoothies with strawberries and bananas, hard boiled eggs, fresh bread, fruit & cheese slices, broccoli and brown rice, homemade veggie pizza. Snacks: whole pieces of fruit (apples, oranges) & unsalted nuts (usually almonds). Our family is 2 adults (35 & 36 years old) & 1 almost 3 year old son (who is a very picky eater).

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2018, 07:17:01 AM »
I have the same thing for breakfast all the time, but my lunches and dinners vary.  DH is really not big on repetition - he says he gets "burnt out" on things if we have them more than, say, twice a month, which is rough for me, since I do all the planning and cooking.  The only things he doesn't get sick of are pizza and burritos.  I'd weigh like a thousand pounds if he got to choose dinner every night.

Breakfast
- During the work week, overnight oats - 1/2 c oatmeal, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/4 c whole milk, 1/4 cup full fat plain greek yogurt, 1/2 banana chopped up, some diced blackberries, vanilla, and occasionally chia seeds.  It fits perfectly into a salvaged Bonne Maman 13 oz jam jar.
- On the weekend, I usually have a banana "pancake" - 3 eggs and a half of a mushed up banana scrambled together with vanilla and cinnamon, then cooked in a pan like a German pancake.  Our 19 month old loves it too, and it's almost the only protein he eats, so that's a win.

Lunches are either leftovers from the day or two before, or a weird mix of what's in the fridge - usually yogurt, fruit, a protein shake, maybe peanut butter, or some veggies and hummus.  I forgot about tuna, though, I really need to start having tuna salad.  It sounds great right now, mostly because today I have a protein shake, snap peas, and clementines for lunch, lol.

Fiscal_Hawk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2018, 10:41:19 AM »
Breakfast is often eggs - either scrambled or in an omelette with veggies. Usually add a banana in there.

Lunch varies a bit more but typically either a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato or tuna or a salad of some kind - usually kale based.

Dinner is a rotation of protein. Chicken, pork, ground turkey (turkey burgers!) and then veggies (either seasonal or frozen).

Fruits are usually the snack. Blueberries, grapes, peaches, apples. Sometimes veggies and hummus.

If you want a good snack try baked apples with cinnamon and honey and a little vanilla ice cream over top. Really good and fairly healthy!

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2018, 10:05:05 PM »
I could definitely eat the same things every day, and I mostly do! It's easy to grocery shop, and I look forward to all of my meals!

Breakfast- coffee+ almond milk, an apple, and either a couple of Aidell's chicken apple sausages, or 3 eggs scrambled w/avocado and nutritional yeast

Snacks- more coffee+ almond milk, sometimes jerky for a protein hit

lunch- either leftover stew (beef+potatoes), cauliflower fried rice w/turkey, or chicken soup

dinner- giant salad w/organic baby greens, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, spicy olives, avocado, sliced roasted skin on (very important) chicken thighs, nutritional yeast, leftover bacon, and dressed with lemon/olive oil, salt+pepper and dijon dressing that I make. I seriously eat this 5 nights a week, and it never stops being amazing!

I am also addicted to jalepeno+garlic stuffed olives, anything pickled/fermented, and apples. I don't really eat bread/or most grains, dairy or sugar, and so I tend to also eat a lot of higher fat/caloric density foods to get enough calories for my athletic lifestyle.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2018, 01:59:23 AM »
Great ideas on here! Making me hungry ;)

The only repetitive meal I make is a breakfast of DIY muesli: whatever dried Kirkland berries I can get on sale from the "foreign food stores", oatmeal or Russian grains if on sale, with whatever fresh fruit is in season at the independent fruit/veg market on my walk home from the subway. Sometimes with hot water in the winter, or in summer with half-price (but still expensive) yogurts from the foreign shops, but have now changed to locally-made Vitasoy. Much healthier for me and the planet.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2018, 02:06:38 AM »
I seem to also eat frozen banana chunks every day! I usually add things to them (seed-based trail mix, cocoa sauce, other fruits frozen or stewed hot, all of the above).

When I'm out and about and getting weary, I start to daydream about them, get tickly about which additions, feel better just knowing that's waiting for me. Super quick and easy, easy to satisfy a wide range of cravings with, no cook, etc.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2018, 04:42:16 AM »
I seem to also eat frozen banana chunks every day! I usually add things to them (seed-based trail mix, cocoa sauce, other fruits frozen or stewed hot, all of the above).

When I'm out and about and getting weary, I start to daydream about them, get tickly about which additions, feel better just knowing that's waiting for me. Super quick and easy, easy to satisfy a wide range of cravings with, no cook, etc.

Dip bananas in dark choc and chopped peanuts before freezing, so good.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2018, 06:06:50 PM »
When I'm sticking to my diet, I have raw veggies and hard boiled eggs 5x a week.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2018, 06:51:35 PM »
Before meeting my wife I would view food as a way to keep from getting dizzy rather than something for enjoyment.  The last time she was out of the country for work for three weeks I ate the following every day:

Breakfast
- oatmeal w/banana

Lunch
- turkey
- mashed potatoes
- spinach/walnut/mandarin orange salad

Supper
- roast pork
- brown rice / onions / butter
- raw carrots and beets

It makes meal planning soooooo much easier.  Honestly, by the end of the third week you don't even miss having different food.
I like raw carrot and beet salad, it's the only way I'll eat beets. I usually put sprouted sunflower or pumpkin seeds on it too.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2018, 06:56:43 PM »
Our go to meal is usually tacos. Every week we either have ground beef, ground turkey, or grilled fish tacos. We also do lots of ground turkey chili made with tons of beans. We don't eat too many carbs so mostly fresh vegetables and some sort of protein. We've been trying to eat more vegan lately which is much tougher for me. I grew up with spaghetti, tacos, sloppy joes, mac n cheese, lots of comfort food so it's really been tough to try and be creative with vegan meals. I know there are lots of packaged options, but I want fresh real food as much as possible.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »
Turkey sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches, and anything else in sandwich form.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2018, 06:19:37 AM »
Turkey sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches, and anything else in sandwich form.

So, there's a little kid's song that starts "Sandwiches are beautiful, sandwiches are fine / I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time / I eat them for my supper and I eat them for my lunch / If I had a hundred sandwiches I'd eat them all at once", and now that's going to be you in my head anytime I see you post, lol.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2018, 06:45:53 AM »

So, there's a little kid's song that starts "Sandwiches are beautiful, sandwiches are fine / I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time / I eat them for my supper and I eat them for my lunch / If I had a hundred sandwiches I'd eat them all at once", and now that's going to be you in my head anytime I see you post, lol.
Haha. I’ve never heard that song before, but it’s very funny. Sandwiches are pretty great though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!