Author Topic: Are there meals that you eat almost every day or week?  (Read 12154 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Are there meals that you eat almost every day or week?
« on: January 18, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »
I know this is a random question.

But I have been eating overnight oatmeal for the past 2 weeks for breakfast after finding a "recipe" for it that works really good for me.  I had stopped eating oatmeal years ago because I prefer to cook them on the stove top instead of getting the instant stuff.  And I got tired of the time to cook them on the stove.  Now I just let the oaks soak overnight with my ingredients in with it...how did I not ever think to do this all of these years??

lol

I made a shrimp scampi meal for dinner this week (uses spaghetti squash instead of noodles) and it was SO good I swear I could eat this the next 2 weeks as well.  But of course doing a shrimp meal is more expensive than doing say, beans and rice so....yeah.

Anywho, are there meals that you eat almost daily or at least once a week consistently that you never get tired of?

Fi365

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Fi365
Re: Are there meals that you eat almost every day or week?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:47:02 PM »
Honey Nut Cheerios with milk
Olives ANY KIND OMG NOM NOM NOM
Tuna sandwiches
Yogurt
Apple cinnamon oatmeal
PBJ sandwiches
Fresh fruit
Grilled cheese with tomato soup
A “dinner salad” with protein, ie not a wimpy side salad but a monster with allllll the veggies

That’s basically all I eat.

The husband makes all sorts of fancy meals and I have a half-serving politely and then grab my smoothie and olives. :)

In all seriousness though—A few years ago, we made a list of the ~10 dinners we could eat over and over again. And whenever we’re meal-planning and run out of ideas, then we just grab our post-it list.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:49:55 PM »
Honey Nut Cheerios with milk
Olives ANY KIND OMG NOM NOM NOM
Tuna sandwiches
Yogurt
Apple cinnamon oatmeal
PBJ sandwiches
Fresh fruit
Grilled cheese with tomato soup
A “dinner salad” with protein, ie not a wimpy side salad but a monster with allllll the veggies

That’s basically all I eat.

The husband makes all sorts of fancy meals and I have a half-serving politely and then grab my smoothie and olives. :)

In all seriousness though—A few years ago, we made a list of the ~10 dinners we could eat over and over again. And whenever we’re meal-planning and run out of ideas, then we just grab our post-it list.

Regarding the olives...lol!

I am eating some as we speak lol

I just made some puerto rican beans and rice for the first time recently.  Bought some Goya brand manzanilla spanish olives for the beans and man...i've been snacking on them straight out of the jar since buying haha.

I forgot how much I like tuna.  Definitely having tuna for lunch next week :)

Fi365

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Fi365
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 09:56:50 PM »
Tuna is CHEAP. We buy a 4-pack for pennies every week.

I forgot—egg salad sandwiches. We can get 36 eggs for under $2 at our grocery store. It’s time consuming to boil, peel, etc. the eggs, so I do it every other week. My dad says I’m everting too much cholesterol but as long as you only have 1 or 2 eggs a day I don’t think it’s that awful.

Since we started meal-planning ahead of time—vs going to he store and buying whatever we felt like/-our weekly bill has dropped from $125 to $75 for 3 people. That’s about a billion dollars a year, AND it includes (store brand) olives!!!!!

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 11:10:53 PM »
We have a fairly fixed food schedule. For breakfast it's always eggs or cereal. Lunch is whatever is free at the cafeteria (usually fish + vegetables). Dinner is vegetables plus:

Monday - kidney beans
Tuesday - lentils
Wednesday - chickpeas
Thursday - salmon
Friday - eat out
Saturday - moong beans
Sunday - chicken

Total cost per day (2 adults, 1 baby): $10-15

This is from a family that used to spend $1000+ per month on food (mostly eating out!)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 11:20:47 PM »
I just like these lists, so want to follow. And I'm about to eat a ginormous salad thanks to Fi365 (love the giant ones, forget to have them).

I guess my list would be:
*scrambled eggs -usually with a bunch of veggies included
*a curried dish (e.g., curried canned salmon with veggies over rice or as a stew)
*frozen fruit: banana chunks + bag of dark sweet cherries, raspberries, etc [eat frozen, stewed, thawed, whatever]
*yogurt (plain, as is or mixed with other stuff)
*slices of cheese as is or dipped in salsa
*chicken or ground beef one way or another

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 04:49:21 AM »
Porridge for breakfast every morning - not the instant kind. I just do mine in the microwave in the bowl I'll eat it in.

I make a huge lot of chili con carne in the slow cooker every so often, so there's always some of that in the freezer. It's good over rice, or in tacos, burritos, or on baked potatoes etc etc. I also have jars of homemade salsa and sour cream always on hand, so that kind of meal is a regular thing.

Spinach and feta pastry parcels - again a pre-prep frozen thing that I can just whack in the oven and make a salad to go with.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 06:20:30 AM »
Oatmeal with nuts every morning. Use regular rolled oats, dump in a bunch of nuts, add almond milk...microwave. Almost always have a hard-boiled egg with it. If have not made the eggs, will have a tablespoonful or so of peanut butter.

Chili is in my rotation every couple of weeks. I make myself a four-serving recipe, divide into thirds, and eat over three days. May freeze some, may not.

French-Canadian tourtiere. This is the easiest meat pie ever--substantial and filling. A pound and a half of ground meat (some combo of beef and pork), one chopped onion, one potato mashed--cook it up on top of the stove, put between two purchased pie crusts in a pie pan, bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Lots of recipes online. Seasoning is one-half tsp. salt, one-quarter tsp. pepper, one-half tsp. cinnamon, one-quarter tsp. ground cloves, one quarter tsp. allspice. Can be divided into whatever size slices you want and freezes well. Very good in a cold, snowy, upstate NY winter.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 06:33:55 AM »
French-Canadian tourtiere. This is the easiest meat pie ever--substantial and filling. A pound and a half of ground meat (some combo of beef and pork), one chopped onion, one potato mashed--cook it up on top of the stove, put between two purchased pie crusts in a pie pan, bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Lots of recipes online. Seasoning is one-half tsp. salt, one-quarter tsp. pepper, one-half tsp. cinnamon, one-quarter tsp. ground cloves, one quarter tsp. allspice. Can be divided into whatever size slices you want and freezes well. Very good in a cold, snowy, upstate NY winter.

Thanks for the tip about tourtiere.  I never heard of this, but love that it is super easy, freezable and is pie. 

AM: scrambled eggs with various ingredients ham, cheese, spinach, onion, pepper - depends on who is eating and what I have
Lunch: leftover from past dinners
Dinners: Chili (I like the Texas Red recipe from dadcooksdinner), Baked ziti (italian sausage,ricotta,mozzarella, ziti), lots of various casseroles and always salads.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 07:27:25 AM »
homemade fruit + spinach smoothie every day for breakfast. It's got nuts, greens, berries, banana, etc so I always feel super energized in the morning.

Snacks:
--homemade hummus and veggies
--trail mix
--cereal

Then dinners and lunches (which are always some kind of dinner leftover) that we eat super often:
--stir fry padded out with plenty of rice
--spaghetti with homemade veggie and ground meat sauce
--stew with noodles (either regular stew or an italian chicken stew)
--jumbalaya
--risotto
--pesto pasta with sweet potatoes, chicken, onions and green beans

We try and make big one-pot meals that last us a few days of lunches and dinners. We make a base sauce-y type food with protein and veggies and then pad it out as much as possible with a starch (rice, noodles, etc)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 07:42:40 AM »
Recently, I've been having hot oatmeal with a cut up banana in the mornings.  I was previously making overnight oats, but with the cold weather I've been craving something hot in the morning.  I'll probably switch back to overnight in the spring.

Every Friday is pizza night - I make the crusts ahead in batches, par-bake and freeze, so it's very quick to throw some toppings together and pop in the oven.  We also have soup, stew, or chili from the freezer at least once a week, but I usually have at least 3 or 4 kinds ready at any given time, so it's not really the same thing every week.

Other things we eat frequently, but not every week:
 - potato gnocchi
 - fried rice
 - pasta (baked ziti, homemade mac+cheese, or just spaghetti with sauce)

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 07:56:52 AM »
We are suckers for eating the same things - we love routine and don’t like to have to think to feed ourselves if we can help it. Some of our go tos:

- breakfast is either a scramble with veggies and Canadian bacon or oatmeal with scrambled eggs and Canadian bacon
- Greek yogurt with homemade granola for mid morning meal
- for dinner (and lunch leftovers) roasted root and cruciferous vegetables with a lean protein of choice (usually chicken, pork or salmon but salmon is only once per week). I also make slow cooker shredded chicken one day and then we do taco salad bowls for dinner as well and freeze the rest to pull out in a pinch. And sometimes we go lean ground protein with quinoa and red sauce - peppers and onions added when we have em.

Lately I’ve been making large batches of soup during the weekend, freezing part of it and using the rest for lunch and dinner at least once the following week.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 09:08:37 AM »
95% of work lunches in the past year or so have been three or four (depending on size and my hunger level) bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (sloppily seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, and garlic) and a pound of frozen broccoli florets baked together in the break room convection oven at 400F for 42 minutes.  Simple, easy, delicious, cheap.  I start them in the break room at 1:30pm during "off-peak" hours so nobody that wants to just toast a bagel for 5 minutes gets annoyed.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 09:52:12 AM »
:-) I eat the same thing every single day.

1) Breakfast: steel-cut oats, boiled briefly the night before and let sit. Warmed in the morning & a tbsp or two of chopped nuts thrown in; a bowl of broccoli zapped in the microwave; a boiled egg.

2) Lunch: a bowl of whatever stew I made last (okay, this part of my diet varies: I cook about five days' worth of lunches for my wife and me at a time in the slow-cooker. Generally a beef & tomato & root vegetable stew, or a chicken & white bean & rice & green chili stew.)

3) Dinner: a microwaved potato and a hamburger patty, and a cup of Breyer's vanilla ice cream.

Add an apple sometime early in the day, and an orange late in the day, and you've got the whole story. I likes what I likes, and that's what I eats. In theory there's an salad with dinner, but that might not happen very often until I'm more retired than I am now.

I used to go out all the time, and tickle my palate with all kinds of delightful foods. And I used to be fat. This works better for me. And frankly I love all this stuff: I look forward to every meal.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »
Carrot Salad:  Take about 4 carrots and 2 tiny (or 1 big) apples, chop in food processor, lay roasted flax seeds on top, add Italian dressing.

Baked Chicken Thighs:  Bake once or twice per week, eat 2 at a time.
Turkey Meat Loaf:  Make once or twice per week.
Wild caught Broiled Salmon from Aldi (not batch)

Eggs
Steel Cut Oats made in Microwave
Salad Salad:  Bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado (I don't deal with lettuce).
Peanut Butter
Almond Butter

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 10:32:03 AM »
Breakfast: either a toasted multigrain bagel, or oat bran (microwaved) with fresh fruit.

Lunch:  a Daryl's chocolate protein bar, straight from the freezer - it's all-natural and has 28 g of protein.

Dinner:  homemade lasagna, or a stew, or a hearty hot Italian sausage and red lentil soup.  With tons of veg in all of these.  And then an apple for dessert.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 10:37:25 AM »
Absolutely.  I eat 3 scrambled eggs and an english muffin for breakfast every day.  I also eat a sandwich (either tuna or turkey) for lunch every day.  And I eat grilled chicken, brown rice, and steamed vegetables for dinner at least 4 nights a week.  I sometimes eat the exact same meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner 3 days in a row. 

It may sound boring, but it makes grocery shopping easy.  And I've found that it helps me to appreciate the nights when I eat something different (like salmon or a steak).

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »
I cook a big batch of protein in the slow cooker overnight--most typically a top round beef roast or some large chicken breasts. I don't season anything in the slow cooker, so that I can share it with the dog. I'll also make a big batch of rustic mashed potatoes--unpeeled yellow potatoes cut in slices or chunks and boiled. Drain and smash up with butter, parsley, a little milk, and salt...divide into small containers and freeze. Also divide the meat into small containers and freeze. I eat this for four days or so in a row, with either my chili or my tourtiere for the other meal...and my oatmeal for breakfast. Usually have bags of steam-in-the-bag vegetables, and one serving of fruit each day--very typically an apple. If I have to get out of the house super-fast in the morning for some reason, I keep a few frozen breakfast sandwiches from Aldi and microwave one of those in a paper towel. No dishes to wash, and easy enough to take with me and eat in the car.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 02:52:37 PM »
My wife measures all our meals and puts together meals with the same amount of protein/carbs/fat/calories each day.

Right now I average around 2180 calories, 50g fat, 177g carbs, and 249g protein. It does fluctuate a tad depending on the meals. We eat virtually no added sugars and I’m about finished cutting out all our artificial sweetners. All our carbs are complex carbs (minus condiments like ketchup).

My breakfast is the same every day and we alternate between around 5-6 meals each week. 2181 calories has me in a deficit so I’m slowly losing a little weight. I’m a very muscular low BF 190 right now.

For protein, I drink “naked whey” because it has no sweetners or really hardly anything else other than whey. It’s expensive though.

Our breakfast shake is 1 cup dry oatmeal blended, 2 cups egg whites, 2 cups almond milk, banana, 2 scoops protein, 2 scooos amino energy, 1 scoop glutamine. Have had it off and on for years. Delicious.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 03:50:44 PM »
This is a great thread.  I eat a lot like FI365.  DH doesn't like monotony and he cooks, so dinner tends to be different, although often following a tedious, "what do YOU want for dinner" discussion.
Breakfast (for me) is usually a banana, an orange and hardboiled eggs
Salad (for me) for lunch, and I have 3 different selections of olives in the fridge for snacks
Dinner varies, but I've tried patterns like sandwiches on Mon, eggs on Tues, hot food in a bowl on Weds, tapas Thurs, homemade pizza Fri, something exciting for Sat, and entree salad for Sun.  Can't quite get this part down to a science yet.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 03:53:09 PM »
Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg, 2 slices of homemade veggie sausage, 2 slices of avocado, and tomato in a tortilla
Snack: homemade chocolate chip banana muffins that i make every 2 weeks
Lunch: rotini pasta with homemade pesto, corn, peas, and broccoli.
Dinner: homemade cashew sauce with mushrooms and eggnoodles.
Dessert : a quarter cup of dark chocolate chips
I've been eating this almost every day for the past 6 months

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
Stir-fry vegetables on a little bit of Japanese short-grain rice with an egg on top.  Pretty much every morning!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »
My breakfasts are generally yogurt and fruit or eggs scrambled with whatever's around.
Lunch is a salad or a sandwich.
Dinner varies the most, but it's usually two meals repeated during the week to avoid wasting ingredients.
Snacks depend on the seasonality of fruits and vegetables.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 04:08:07 PM »
Homemade pizza seems to be the only thing we eat nearly every week sometimes.

Other than that, I try to eat a lot of what's in season.  We're eating a whole lot of citrus every day right now.  Is everybody in this thread not interested in fresh produce?

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 05:04:02 PM »
Is everybody in this thread not interested in fresh produce?

I said tomato, gee whiz.

I might eat a pear or two in early winter but prefer to wait until the summer when I can peruse the local farmers market.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 05:19:34 PM »
I try to make a big meal with lots of leftovers on Sunday and eat it for lunch for the rest of the week.  Frequent flyers for this role include jambalaya, meat loaf, chili, and chicken and bacon ranch lasagna (I need to add some more variety to my big weekly meals).  Other meals are more varied, but things like hamburgers, bratwurst, steak, fajitas (beef and chicken), boneless buffalo wings, breakfast sausage casserole, pancakes, french toast, and diced potatoes and sausage with country gravy usually appear a couple of times per month.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 06:49:14 PM »
I make some relatively healthy muffins with oatmeal, whole wheat flour and minimal sugar that I keep in the freezer and take for breakfast on the run several days every week.

I also have Cabot's plain yogurt with some cinnamon for lunch pretty often.

Pasta marinara or with meat sauce is a fast and easy weekly dinner entree.

We eat lots of fresh produce, but it varies seasonally and I buy an assortment.  Right now it's frequently roasted cauliflower, cabbage or carrots.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:57:44 PM by Pigeon »

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 06:54:15 PM »
Greek yogurt mixed with granola every morning. 

Costco pizzas more often than we should, but they are so good

Chicken breast + pepper stir fry at least once a week

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
Like many others who responded, I tend to repeat my breakfast and lunch meals more often. Right now it's oatmeal for breakfast, although I like eggs and toast on the weekends when I have more time. Lunch is usually salmon filet or canned tuna with some kind of roasted veggie and potatoes or served on salad greens and quinoa. I batch cook and freeze things for dinner or use the crockpot, so it varies and I don't follow a pattern. I prefer to just heat and serve during the week, and do my big cooking on Saturdays. I can happily eat the same breakfasts and lunches for weeks. I can eat the same dinner for 2 - 3 days in a row but then I want something different.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 07:40:26 PM »
We eat stir fry with rice constantly. Both absolutely love it. I mix it up by using different veggie meat/tofu and sauce combinations, but yeah, that gets consumed pretty much daily.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:43 PM »
For all the oatmeal eaters...

Does anyone find a big difference in how full they are when they eat oatmeal?

I find when I do have it for breakfast I almost never have lunch because I just don't get hungry enough to eat until much later in the evening.

My oatmeal "recipe":
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup walnuts
1 tbs chia seeds
a few very small pieces of chopped up dried cherries and fresh fiji apple
few dashes of cinnamon
1 tbs coconut sugar
unsweetened almond milk

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »
Tuna is CHEAP. We buy a 4-pack for pennies every week.

I forgot—egg salad sandwiches. We can get 36 eggs for under $2 at our grocery store. It’s time consuming to boil, peel, etc. the eggs, so I do it every other week. My dad says I’m everting too much cholesterol but as long as you only have 1 or 2 eggs a day I don’t think it’s that awful.

Since we started meal-planning ahead of time—vs going to he store and buying whatever we felt like/-our weekly bill has dropped from $125 to $75 for 3 people. That’s about a billion dollars a year, AND it includes (store brand) olives!!!!!

Great job with cutting the bill down!

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 07:51:47 AM »
Breakfast every morning for me for about the last 5 years has been a smoothie. I still look forward to it every day.  It truthfully tastes like a peanut butter ice cream shake!

Spoonful of natural peanut butter (no sugar added.  I used to make my own peanut butter with a food processor but gave up for no particular reason)
2 bananas
unsweetened almond milk
peanut butter protein powder (Orgain brand- organic plant based can be found online and in many flavors)
few ice cubes
occasionally a handful of spinach leaves (can't even taste them)

SmallCheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 07:57:24 AM »
Roasted vegetables with cous cous. We have this at least once a week. Easy, inexpensive, and really tasty. You can change up the veggies and/or the spice mix to make it "different" if you're having it a bunch.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
For all the oatmeal eaters...

Does anyone find a big difference in how full they are when they eat oatmeal?

I find when I do have it for breakfast I almost never have lunch because I just don't get hungry enough to eat until much later in the evening.

My oatmeal "recipe":
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup walnuts
1 tbs chia seeds
a few very small pieces of chopped up dried cherries and fresh fiji apple
few dashes of cinnamon
1 tbs coconut sugar
unsweetened almond milk

Just eyeballing your recipe I'd say that the addition of healthy fats (walnuts, chia seeds) to your meal most likely keeps you fuller for longer. It will take longer for your body to metabolize the fat content in relation to the rest of the carb and protein content in the recipe. When thrown in with whatever your metabolic rate is, that may be why you don't feel hungry enough to eat a meal for lunch.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 10:54:04 AM »
I make a big pot of either lentil or bean soup every Sunday that I eat for lunch at work Monday to Wednesday or so.  My older daughter and I also eat porridge most mornings for breakfast.  Occasionally scrambled eggs.  Every Sunday we eat pancakes for breakfast.  Also lots of pasta as we live in Italy and it's the go to meal here, cheap and easy.  We make about 6-7 homemade sauces for the pasta depending on what's in the fridge that night (pesto, carbonara, tomato and pancetta (amatriciana), puttanesca (ie. tomato, tuna, capers, olives and anchovies), gorgonzola cheese plus walnuts, fresh tomato and buffalo mozzarella and mushrooms with fettucine).

On Thursdays and Fridays after I run out of soup, I usually either bring a salad from home or sandwich fixings (usually ham and mozzarella or avocado) and go to the supermarket to buy a fresh bread roll at lunchtime.

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »
I'm amazed by all the repetitive eaters on this thread.  Wish I could be more like you.

There's a small number of meals I eat every week, or close to every week.

1. Veggie pasta (basically pasta salad): stir-fried broccoli, carrots, maybe radishes and snow peas, with garlic, onion, parsley, and a spoonful or two of vinegar, salt and pepper; a small amount of pasta (more veg than pasta, please) and enough olive oil to "dress" it.  I could eat this probably every day.

2. Veggie soup.  My current favorite is Persian Ash: 1 bunch each of spinach, parsley, scallions, cilantro, a buttload of garlic, some turmeric, some dried mint, turmeric, pepper, a small amount of noodle (preferably angel hair broken into small pieces), and a good amoutn of lentils, red kidney beans, and chickpeas.  Top it with onions that have been caramelized to the point of crisping and burning.  This soup is amazeballs.

3. A breakfast I like to have is Egg Drop Soup: water broth made of ginger, garlic, and some veggies (usually kale, radish, and carrot for me), and then drop in a few eggs.  This has the benefit of costing about $0.50 per POT of soup.  Ad I figure it's breakfasty, because Eggs.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2018, 02:45:35 PM »
The only thing we consistently eat 2x almost every week is our big-ass salad.

1/4 of a tub of salad greens, a big handful of shredded cabbage, then chopped celery, carrots, broccoli and green onions.  In the summer, tomatoes.  Dressing for me is oil, vinegar, Sriracha and several grinds of black pepper.  DH uses different dressing and usually adds sunflower seeds and croutons.  I hit on this salad formula about 10 years ago, and we've been eating it almost every week since then.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »
I'm amazed by all the repetitive eaters on this thread.  Wish I could be more like you.

If you have a good behavior and can put it on autopilot, it's a win.  Your comment made me see how healthy repeat meals are a lot like automated transfers to savings! 

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2018, 03:36:42 PM »
It varies for me between the week and the weekend.  My SO does 95% of the cooking (I'm soooo lucky).

Breakfast during the week is usually cereal + milk, avocado toast, or scrambled eggs depending on what we have on hand.  On weekends, he makes eggs, bacon and usually pancakes.

Lunch during the week is usually dinner leftovers or a bowl of noodle soup with organic udon/ramen noodles, a veggie bouillon cube, and some random veggies thrown in (kale, broccoli, snap peas).  Sometimes I will go out to Panera or a local Mexican place similar to Chipotle if I'm out running around during lunch time.  Lunch on the weekends is usually the same, or a PB&J sammy.

Dinner during the week is usually homemade pizza on Sunday nights, pasta bolognese on Monday nights.  He has a keen eye on what's on sale so the rest of the week depends on that.  Sometimes it's sliders, 100% all beef hotdogs, steak, chicken, etc along with roasted/steamed veggies. 

I used to eat out a lot when I was single but when we go out I usually pick up the tab since he buys more of 75% of the groceries so cost-wise it's a wash. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »
Beans are super cheap here--eighty-eight cents a pound--so I whip up a weekly batch.  Three cups of beans, two cups of chicken broth, two cups of water, a handful of chopped onions, a few cloves of garlic, and whatever meat I have on hand or was on sale.  This week it was cut-up turkey drumsticks.  I throw everything into the Instant Pot and let it go for forty minutes.

I've also gotten into sheet pan meals. Our favorite is chicken Italian sausage roasted with zucchini, carrots and Campari tomatoes and seasoned with Penzey's Tuscan Sunset herb mix.  Twenty-five minutes at 400 degrees, and dinner is served.  Meat loaf is also in high rotation, as are roasted chicken legs and salad.  To get our pizza fix, I get Trader Joe's mini pepperoni pizzas--that and a salad is lunch about three times a week.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 03:57:44 PM »
My husband is an incredible cook, and we have 83 cookbooks so there is a LOT of variety when he cooks... I usually say the cuisine (Vietnamese, Indian, Southern, whatever) and he makes something.

But, we do have some defaults too:

Breakfast
Whole wheat cheerios w/ almond milk and either dried fruit or a chopped up apple or banana, depending what is on hand
Granola, if I got my act together to make it ([url]https://food52.com/recipes/15831-nekisia-davis-olive-oil-and-maple-granola/url])

Lunch
Leftovers. Very often leftovers.
Lots of varied soups
This delicious un-named 'tuna' thing. One can of the good Italian tuna, packed in oil + one can of cannellini beans + half a shallot + juice of half a lemon + salt. So good.

Dinner
Stir fried veggies (heavy on onion, asian greens, peppers)
Roasted veggies (sweet potatoes, brusell sprouts, cauliflower, whatever's in the fridge or pantry) w/ a fried egg
And my go-to is a sag paneer (key step: marinating the cheese in turmeric and cayenne and pan frying it)

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »
I'm getting back on the "as BOGO as possible" plus I have to eat low-to-no carb due to some very expensive, chronic diseases. This leaves me buying a lot of non-organic meat (with no grains). Using whichever meats I have in the fridge/freezer as a base, I will then use BOGO beef/chicken/veg chicken stock or tomato base. I often make a "low carb unsandwich" using meat slices, cheese slices and "sandwich slice" pickles, then there's lots of tuna, egg or chicken salad since those proteins are often BOGO (I bought about 40 cans of chicken in water today...) as are relish and mayonnaise. BOGO natural pb and (usually not BOGO) low sugar (I don't do artificial sugar except for pickes!) Smuckers jelly mix to quench my sweet tooth.

It's not all BOGO, however. In addition to the Smucker's low sugar jelly, I do splurge on Sam's Club tubs of Kerrygold butter, as well as organic heavy cream and organic coffee beans (S&S Amazon).

And there's always the occasional house guest with their dietary preferences, of course :) 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:24:49 PM by MacGyverIt »

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2018, 08:48:05 PM »
I finally nailed down a good breakfast for me and my toddler daughter to share -

Oatmeal cooked in the microwave
Stir in a big spoonful of peanut butter, a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses (crazy rich in iron and calcium), and frozen wild blueberries. Serve with a cup of whole milk to drink. Keeps us going strong for several hours.

We eat this every day and have for the past month or so :)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2018, 09:42:14 PM »
My breakfast 6 days a week is PB on toast.  I alternate rye & sourdough bread (unless one is on sale).

Lunches 3-4 days a week is cotto salami and cheese on toast.

Dinner almost every other night is baked chicken thigh (just one, I live alone).  I vary the spices some, but it's pretty much the same recipe.   I have a really good crock-pot recipe for it, but I seldom think of it in time.

I eat rice-n-beans quite often after I make a batch.  The frequency goes down after a few days, and when it's gone I'll go weeks before making a batch again.

When it's hot, I eat a lot of cole-slaw and pasta salad.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »
egg salad sandwiches. We can get 36 eggs for under $2 at our grocery store. It’s time consuming to boil, peel, etc. the eggs, so I do it every other week.
Since it's for egg salad, you should 'hard boil' the eggs in the oven.
You put some hot water in ea cup of a muffin pan and crack an egg into each of them.  No peeling!!
You can google the process.

jcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 09:45:28 PM »
We are starting to track grocery expenses more closely and planning our meals for the week over the past 2 months.

Our go-to for breakfast for the 6 and 2 year old and mama for breakfast is oatmeal microwaved- we add a variety of things- chocolate chips, berries, nuts, hemp seeds, or chia seeds depending on what we have in stock. Dad has fried eggs almost every morning.

For lunches we do dinner left-overs or cobble together some of the free snacks provided at work.

For dinners we have some go-to's in our regular rotation for week-nights. Though we just got an instapot so I'm hoping we can add some more interesting things to the rotation

- tacos with ground beef or Trader Joe's carnitas
- roasted chicken thighs with chopped carrots (mix the chicken and chopped carrots with olive oil, lemon juice and herbs of choice bake at 375 on a cookie sheet with edges for about 30 minutes for 1 or 50 for 2 trays)
- loaded baked potatoes
- PASTA with a homemade creamy sauce (basically a lot of butter, garlic and herbs simmered and added to pasta after it is cooked) and some sort of roasted veggie
- grilled panini sandwiches and tomato soup
- homemade pizza and salad
- And a few from our favorite cookbook- "Feeding the Whole Family" (mediterranean quinoa, emerald city salad, and uncle bruce's awesome salmon)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2018, 04:30:27 AM »
We were just talking about this last night with the kids.

Personally for me my breakfast is usually and English muffin and Peanut butter.

Beyond that we usually have

Steak Sandwiches usually with beans and a large ass salad loaded with veggies
A Pasta night Mostacholi and meatballs w/Garlic bread
Pretty much every night have a Fruit Salad, Regualar salad loaded with Veggies or a Pasta Salad loaded with veggies as a side
Slow Cooker pork Roast usually cooked to slice not shred and with potatoes and onions.
Baked Pork Chops and Uncle Bens Brown rice recipe- Easy very delicious
Breaded chicken Tenderloins
Multiple different marinated chicken breasts
Large Turkey Legs when I can get them or other parts
Slow cooker barbecued chicken drumsticks then broil for a few minutes
Oven baked boneless, skinless chicken thighs with dill, paprika, soy then broil at end
Home made turkey burgers I mix veggies in
Million Dollar casserole
Tuna Casserole
Stove top extra lean 1/3lb burgers when ground beef on sale
Different types of meatloaf
Alot more things but cant think of right now.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
I try to make a big meal with lots of leftovers on Sunday and eat it for lunch for the rest of the week.  Frequent flyers for this role include jambalaya, meat loaf, chili, and chicken and bacon ranch lasagna (I need to add some more variety to my big weekly meals).  Other meals are more varied, but things like hamburgers, bratwurst, steak, fajitas (beef and chicken), boneless buffalo wings, breakfast sausage casserole, pancakes, french toast, and diced potatoes and sausage with country gravy usually appear a couple of times per month.

Big load of jambalaya in the slow cooker today.  It smells delicious!

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2018, 01:00:34 PM »
For the past few years, most mornings I have two sunny side up eggs on two slices of double fiber whole wheat toast with some plain whole milk yogurt and jam. I tend to vary the spices I put on the eggs and the jam I have with the yogurt. Sometimes I spice it up with some salsa on the eggs.