Author Topic: Are there good gloves to use when typing in a cold office?  (Read 4747 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Are there good gloves to use when typing in a cold office?
« on: January 23, 2018, 11:32:29 AM »
My hands are currently super cold in my office. I'm otherwise the right temperature, but my hands are cold.

I'd like to buy some gloves to wear during the day but have no idea really what to look for - there are many arthritis gloves  I can see on Amazon but I'm unsure if this is the best bet.

Anyone have good ideas/suggestions?

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Are there good gloves to use when typing in a cold office?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »
I have no idea what arthritis gloves are. I would suggest trying a cheap pair of fingerless gloves which can be found in lots of different stores, like this: https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/basic-knit-fingerless-glove

Or, just buy some of those stretchy gloves for like $3 at Target and cut the fingertips off? Like these: https://www.target.com/p/gloves-mossimo-supply-co-153-black/-/A-52216821#lnk=sametab

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »
I have no idea what arthritis gloves are. I would suggest trying a cheap pair of fingerless gloves which can be found in lots of different stores, like this: https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/basic-knit-fingerless-glove

Or, just buy some of those stretchy gloves for like $3 at Target and cut the fingertips off? Like these: https://www.target.com/p/gloves-mossimo-supply-co-153-black/-/A-52216821#lnk=sametab

Yes this is what I do.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:48:24 PM »
I can't type with gloves on.  I'd get a small space heater and position it on your desk so that it directly blows on your hands and keyboard.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:51:11 PM »
I swear by my microwaveable hand warmers - when the cold gets unbearable I hold them for a few seconds. Even if I could type with them, gloves don't really help me; I think my hands just do not generate heat, while the hand warmers do. We're not permitted to have space heaters or anything else that plugs in at my office or else I'd do that.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 06:51:15 PM »
Silk glove liners.
Sold in most ski shops and outdoor / adventure stores (and online, of course).
They are shear enough to type in. 
If that's not warm enough, put some fingerless gloves on over them.

If that's not warm enough; 1mm neoprene diving gloves.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 07:15:51 PM »
I use fingerless gloves, they help but not enough. I think the real key is a space heater and warmer clothing. I'm usually cold but I've found that switching my style from running shoes to leather boots keeps my whole body warmer.

my fingerless gloves are wool cashmere blend I think?

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 07:19:06 PM »
Space heater if it’s allowed, fingerless gloves if not.

Rocketman

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 09:43:38 PM »
Fingerless gloves + a “bean bag” that you put your in the microwave to warm up. Then when your hands get really cold - warm it up in the break room - it will stay warm for a while in the desk (or on your lap)

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 10:38:08 PM »
Knitted fingerless mittens.

Edited to add that wristbands also help keep the heat in, which in turn stops fingers from getting so cold.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:39:53 PM by tawyer »

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 12:09:19 PM »
Fingerless gloves + a “bean bag” that you put your in the microwave to warm up. Then when your hands get really cold - warm it up in the break room - it will stay warm for a while in the desk (or on your lap)

I have one of these, too, mine is dried corn in an all cotton bag and I microwave it multiple times daily. I use it for pain from an injury, too, also feels good on my back. Helps to keep me warm, too.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 12:33:28 PM »
I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/Novawo-Womens-Crochet-Fingerless-Warmers/dp/B077MJTG8Y/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1516822181&sr=8-10&keywords=fingerless+gloves+for+women

If you go with fingerless gloves / mittens, make sure you get some that are thin enough to not get in the way.  And make sure you search for "convertible thumbs" otherwise the thumb doesn't come off and you can't type with gloved thumbs. 

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
So this may be counter intuitive, but I use a hat instead of gloves for warmer hands while I worked in a cold office.  I worked in the high 50s, because there was only an On or Off on the AC unit, lots of heat sources (old huge computers) had been removed, and the heat locations were unbalanced.

When I tried gloves, I had so many typos, literal fat fingers.  I knit, and I was knitting at work (not working) one day, and put my finished hat on my head.  I left it on when I started working and my hands were fine. 

Don't ask me why it worked, I just know it worked (for me).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 01:18:26 PM »
So this may be counter intuitive, but I use a hat instead of gloves for warmer hands while I worked in a cold office.  I worked in the high 50s, because there was only an On or Off on the AC unit, lots of heat sources (old huge computers) had been removed, and the heat locations were unbalanced.

When I tried gloves, I had so many typos, literal fat fingers.  I knit, and I was knitting at work (not working) one day, and put my finished hat on my head.  I left it on when I started working and my hands were fine. 

Hunter's reflex?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 08:04:17 PM »
Lots of good thoughts here. I think it might be best to just go to a store and try some and see how well I feel I could type.

Funny story, I often wear a fairly warm hat at work too - basically this hat - https://i.pinimg.com/736x/56/98/5f/56985f6418087d316ae0c9745f2fcd21--black-plaid-cold-day.jpg - but that doesn't help enough :(

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
I bought some USB-powered fingerless gloves with heating elements on Amazon for $10. LOVE THEM. I'm sure they were made in a factory by a child with cold fingers. But wow do they make a difference.