Author Topic: Are there credit cards that give good bonus but aren't airline cards?  (Read 858 times)

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
In the past I've signed up for United and Southwest cards to get free flights. But now I'm trying not to fly much because of the carbon emissions and climate implications but I'm not averse to using a credit card to get perks.

We already have a Fidelity card that give 2% back, but I do like the idea of getting a bonus for signing up. Does anyone have advice for a card that gives some sort of bonus that isn't airline miles?

thanks

LifeHappens

• Walrus Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses

There are several on the list that offer cash or cash equivalents as a bonus.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Chase Ultimate Rewards has been running a pay yourself back promo where you can redeem UR points at the travel rate (50% bonus w/Sapphire Reserve).  I've turned in a couple thousand dollars worth since they started that.

reverend

• Stubble
Chase Ultimate Rewards has been running a pay yourself back promo where you can redeem UR points at the travel rate (50% bonus w/Sapphire Reserve).  I've turned in a couple thousand dollars worth since they started that.

@JLee - you don't happen to have a link for that promo, do you?   I can't seem to find it (or it's targeted), but it sounds like it would be perfect for me.

JLee

• Walrus Stache

@JLee - you don't happen to have a link for that promo, do you?   I can't seem to find it (or it's targeted), but it sounds like it would be perfect for me.

I didn't have to sign up for anything - it was just a new option on the redemption page.  https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-pay-yourself-back/

If you're looking for Chase card links, I'd probably check the points guy / etc to see what the best current promos are.  I found that I have a referral link for the Freedom line, but I couldn't find one for Sapphire:

Earn $200 cash back with Chase Freedom Unlimited or Chase Freedom Flex credit card. I can be rewarded, learn more.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/18f/N88BTJ6TML

I have a Freedom (getting phased out for new applicants, I think), Freedom Flex, Freedom Unlimited, and Sapphire Reserve. The trick is to use whatever card gets you the most points back for the purchase (e.g. the 5% cashback category for Freedom) and then transfer the points to the Sapphire Reserve for the 50% redemption bonus.  The Reserve does have a hefty annual fee, so review all the benefits and make sure you'll get your money back out of it.  They also often have good sign up bonuses (60k points) so keep an eye out for those.

If you have a reason to get a business card (I used my own name as a DBA for my rental property and that worked), check out the sign up bonuses for the Ink line: https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/chase-ink-sign-up-bonus/

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Would you be open to getting an airline card and then selling the miles to a mileage broker?  I grabbed two Jetblue cards when they had the 100,000 mile bonus, and just sold the miles from one card for $850 to a broker.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
Would you be open to getting an airline card and then selling the miles to a mileage broker?  I grabbed two Jetblue cards when they had the 100,000 mile bonus, and just sold the miles from one card for $850 to a broker.

@kpd905  Can you share anything about your experience with this transaction?
I have some miles for a few different airlines and would like to clear them out.

Finances_With_Purpose

• Pencil Stache
    • Finances With Purpose: deploying resources wisely to live vigorously

That's a neat trick.

As for cards, I know Amex Blue has several going, but one of them will give you $200 cash plus another $200 if you spend X amount on Amazon (like 20% cash back) up to $200 within the first six months.  We will easily hit that limit, so it's $400 for us.  It beat the easier $325 one they sent that was straight cash.  They appear to have different ones going depending upon what they mail you/which links/website you look at.  It was the best pure-cash one I saw right off, and we were due for another one. 

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache

@kpd905  Can you share anything about your experience with this transaction?
I have some miles for a few different airlines and would like to clear them out.

For most of the airline cards, you simply give the broker your account log in and password (so make a new password unique to this account), and a lot of the hotel points have options to combine your points with another account, so you just go through that process for those.

I have sold AA, Jetblue, Alaska, Chase UR, Citi Thankyou points, Hyatt, and Hilton points to this same broker for at least 10 transactions total.  I will PM you his name/website.

Catbert

• Handlebar Stache
^^^ Just be aware that selling points violates the airlines terms of service.  You might not get caught.  Likely won't if you do it once.  But if they do catch you they'll confiscate your remaining points, cancel your frequent flyer account permanently and cancel any flights that haven't happened yet.   

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
^^^ Just be aware that selling points violates the airlines terms of service.  You might not get caught.  Likely won't if you do it once.  But if they do catch you they'll confiscate your remaining points, cancel your frequent flyer account permanently and cancel any flights that haven't happened yet.

Yes, the broker I use has certain guidelines for how often you are able to sell from any particular airline.  For AA, I believe it is only once per year.  I opened a few cards with airlines I didn't really care about (Alaska and Jetblue), just to sell the miles.  So I wouldn't care if anything happened with those.

With 10 transactions done, I haven't had any issues.