Author Topic: Are there any waterproof laminate floos that *actually* look and feel like wood?  (Read 2290 times)

CarpeDime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Our 130 year old oak floors have reached the end if their useful life.  As much as we'd like to get new hardwoods, the $9-$12 / sq. ft. cost isn't ideal.  Does anyone out there have a laminate that honestly looks like wood, doesn't feel plastic-y underfoot, and can hold up to small children and a dog?

Thanks in advance!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
We installed high-quality vinyl planks very similar to these (same brand/type but a currently unavailable color): https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Golden-Acacia-LVP-Tranquility-Ultra-5GA/10043305

We have several pets and a small house, so much of it is high-traffic. These planks are a bit more textured than standard laminate so traction is better, and the floors have held up really well. I'd recommend checking it out in a store to see if it appeals to you.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
There are bamboo plank floors available that you can stain any colour. Cheap, hardwearing and actual wood......

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
There are bamboo plank floors available that you can stain any colour. Cheap, hardwearing and actual wood......
  A lot of bamboo products have horrific seasonal shrinkage.

AND, a lot of engineered "real" hardwood have a shiny factory finished coat that is nothing like a 130 year old original floor, but also not "plastic-y".  So perhaps not what is wanted, either?

130 years -- I would be tempted to save up for the real thing.   The house must be fairly small, after all.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
I wouldn't do laminate again. I put it in our kitchen back in 2009, and with one kid and a dog, it's beat up now. I'll probably tile it next time.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
I wouldn't do laminate again. I put it in our kitchen back in 2009, and with one kid and a dog, it's beat up now. I'll probably tile it next time.

This has been my experience in 3 different houses.

We will replace our kitchen flooring at some point (currently laminate) and the rest of the house is 50's oak. I'm undecided on if we should match the oak or what.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
How about wood-look tile?  Some friends of ours just put some in, and it looks great.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
Our 130 year old oak floors have reached the end if their useful life.  As much as we'd like to get new hardwoods, the $9-$12 / sq. ft. cost isn't ideal.  Does anyone out there have a laminate that honestly looks like wood, doesn't feel plastic-y underfoot, and can hold up to small children and a dog?

Thanks in advance!

Where do you live for that sort of replacement cost? Narrow strip oak like old houses typically have is ore like $3-4 a foot unfinished and a little more prefinished.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Laminate is not waterproof. It's plastic over a fiber board (mdf or hdf) core. Does not look or feel like wood. If it gets wet and swells, the product is ruined.

Luxury vinyl tile (LVT) can be waterproof. It still has seems, so water can get through, though the product will be fine.  Some will have cork backer boards built in that are mostly water resistant, but still a wood product and can rot. Does not look or feel like wood.

Porcelain tile is waterproof, but the grout is not. You can waterproof the subfloor/backer board below for actual waterproofing, like for a shower. You can buy "wood look" tiles, but it will not feel like wood.

Bamboo is not waterproof. Bamboo is not wood, it's a grass, but feels more like wood. Bamboo will swell and buckle with water.

Engineered wood is plywood with a fancy veneer.  It is wood. But not waterproof. And not a solid piece.  It will look and feel like hardwood. It will handle moisture better than solid hardwood, but can still swell.

Solid hardwood is wood. Will not do great with water/moisture. Looks and feels like wood. Because it's wood.

If waterproof is a must, say for a bathroom, go with LVT or porcelain tile. There are "wood look" products that look good, but not many people will mistake it for actual wood.  If you want wood look and feel, get actual wood. 

Your quote seemed high for material and install. Shop around or looks for less expensive woods.

Or DIY it. It's not rocket surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
We use used to have water-resistant laminate in the kitchen of our old house. It was laminate that looked like tiles. That laminate has a water resistant coating, so it isn't ruined if you clean up the water fast.