Author Topic: Are online Banks the way to go? Or is Local Better  (Read 4627 times)

sachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Are online Banks the way to go? Or is Local Better
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:28:03 PM »
Dear Moustachers,

With the increase of ridiculous fees to where you have to pay the bank for them to keep your money, I was wondering what the best savings and checking account options would be? I'm moving to Orlando in 2 days, and I'd like to start up a new bank account. I heard Mr. Money Mustache mention something about ING direct, and they do have online banking. Are there pros and cons to having a local credit union over an online bank for instance? What should I go for to start off, with direct deposits and online bill-pay?

Thank you!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bank

• Stubble
Re: Are online Banks the way to go? Or is Local Better
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:02:37 PM »
I love my local bank.  With a few hoops to jump through (direct deposit, 5 debit card transactions per month) I get 2% interest on my checking account, free ATMs anywhere in the world, and a nice real person when I call the help line.

I'm not sure how typical it is to find a bank like mine, that is simultaneously technologically advanced yet grounded in the community, but it couldn't hurt to look around.

smedleyb

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »
I have one of each -- online and local.  They're connected so that I can transfer funds between them.  I like the online account for CC payments, the local bank for mortgage, the occasional odd check, and taxes. 

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:08:44 PM »
I agree that it is entirely possible and useful to have one of each.  I not only have a great local/regional bank, I have a great CU and ING Direct.  Each is useful for various reasons, and while I could eliminate 2 and just use one, there really is no reason to do so.

Lars

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »
I have one of each -- online and local.  They're connected so that I can transfer funds between them.  I like the online account for CC payments, the local bank for mortgage, the occasional odd check, and taxes. 

+1 for one of each. I like the local bank for the convenience and service and the online one for the better rates and ease of transferring money.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:57:50 PM »
I use 4 - 2 local, 1 national, 1 online. As a start, I'd probably go national. Don't know how US credit unions work, but here they're generally provincial, so having 1 nation-wide not-online bank is nice. Or a credit union, if this works if you move. And then add an online. ING for me as well.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 10:21:59 PM »
I forgot to mention that with my local bank, just for setting up direct deposit and a few other hoops to jump through, I got $300 cash.  No minimum balance, no fees, everything is free (even the checks!).