Author Topic: Are my electrical issues an emergency?  (Read 15993 times)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Are my electrical issues an emergency?
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 10:07:52 AM »
Today the husband of a coworker came and looked at my house.  He said for my house a replacement 100a unit would likely be sufficient.  (Is this ok for house with gas heating and limited electronic use?)  He said that to replace the panel without getting a permit he would do it for 1k.  I told him that I would want to get permits just to be on the safe side.  I didn't do this with the water heater but this seems more necessary. He said it would be a few hundred more to do this way.  Why the huge discrepancy here?

Because proper permits are expensive, silly; it's a tax.  You can pull a permit yourself, as a homeowner; but then you are also responsible for paying for the inspection as well, which is likely not included in the price of the permit itself.  This is likely what he means by "without getting a permit"; i.e., it's not him getting the permit.  In some cases, a homeowners' permit is cheaper; but if you do it that way, you're your own general contractor, and he is simply an employee, and not responsible for a screw-up.  A whole lot of 'side-work' gets done this way, I've done plenty of it this way myself, but it's not quite kosher to a lot of people.  And you still need to have a general idea of how this kind of work goes.  If you're a plumber pulling an electrical permit for an electrician buddy you know, odds are you have enough experience around electricians to spot a fake.  If you sit in a corporate office & work by sending emails all day, odds are good you shouldn't assume you could spot a handyman in over his head.

Absolutely.  It's gray area.  I had a very experienced old crusty plumber I loved that worked this way.  He'd explain in no uncertain terms that he hated going downtown, standing in lines and then having someone that knew less about plumbing than he did inspecting his work.  He was happy to do it either way, but you were paying for the permit, the inspection and his time -- AND if he "got caught" and there was a fine, it was on me to pay for it, too.

I had an existing relationship with him and trusted him fully.  I never made him pull a permit.  (He was the plumber version of the guy index spoke of: Old guy in a clean white truck in spotless overalls that worked for himself.)

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2015, 11:39:40 AM »
Today the husband of a coworker came and looked at my house.  He said for my house a replacement 100a unit would likely be sufficient.  (Is this ok for house with gas heating and limited electronic use?)  He said that to replace the panel without getting a permit he would do it for 1k.  I told him that I would want to get permits just to be on the safe side.  I didn't do this with the water heater but this seems more necessary.  He said it would be a few hundred more to do this way.  Why the huge discrepancy here?

Depending on where you live it may be worth it to pull the permit. I'm sure the guy will do good work regardless, but the electric box is just one of those things insurance inspectors (some insurance cos send them before finalizing a HO policy), and home inspectors when you make a sale take a look at. Adding new wiring or a new sink in the kitchen wouldn't be that big of a deal, but when getting a new box or adding a half bath those permits can save you some headache. 

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »

Absolutely.  It's gray area.  I had a very experienced old crusty plumber I loved that worked this way.  He'd explain in no uncertain terms that he hated going downtown, standing in lines and then having someone that knew less about plumbing than he did inspecting his work.  He was happy to do it either way, but you were paying for the permit, the inspection and his time -- AND if he "got caught" and there was a fine, it was on me to pay for it, too.

I had an existing relationship with him and trusted him fully.  I never made him pull a permit.  (He was the plumber version of the guy index spoke of: Old guy in a clean white truck in spotless overalls that worked for himself.)

And old plumber in spotless overalls?  Never happens.

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2015, 03:06:52 PM »
Ya, I think it is worth it to go the permit route just to be safe.  I will be pretty happy if I can do this for all under 2k.  This would leave 2k in savings plus enough in the HSA to cover the pregnancy deductible.  My wife has also told me that my FIL will be gifting us ~2k around the time the baby is born.  Now I just have to try to get our budget under control now that we are basically 1 income.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2015, 08:42:21 AM »

I know, right?  I can't walk outside to get the mail without getting filthy.  This guy would auger out a poo-filled toilet and walk away clean.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2015, 09:15:38 AM »

I know, right?  I can't walk outside to get the mail without getting filthy.  This guy would auger out a poo-filled toilet and walk away clean.
That's a crappy job.

(sorry, couldn't resist)