Author Topic: Are gymboree classes worth it? any alternatives ?  (Read 4123 times)

sharukh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Are gymboree classes worth it? any alternatives ?
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »
Hi,

My wife is suggesting sending 6 month kid to gymboree classes.
4 classes for $100 in a month. I see that as very expensive, all i see that kid goes there and plays. hard to understand paying $25 for just to let the kid play.

Are there any alternatives that you do ?
are gymboree classes worth that much money?

Thank you.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
Re: Are gymboree classes worth it? any alternatives ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »
no, i don't think it's worth it.  buying your freedom is worth more.

once you're FI, then you may choose to spend on this category to make your kids or wife happier.

disclaimer: I hate mommy and me classes.  never understood the appeal.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 03:00:39 PM »
A six-month-old does NOT need classes! My kids were riding two-wheelers unassisted by three and a half/four (among other gross motor skills) without benefit of paid classes.

Maybe your wife just wants to get out of the house and talk to other parents. Suggest looking for a baby storytime at your local library instead.

Seriously, paid classes for a six-month-old is insane. Absolutely insane. Good luck talking her out of it :-). Because if it's $100/month for Gymboree... I foresee thousands per year on travel soccer for your seven-year-old.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 07:10:08 AM »
Maybe your wife just wants to get out of the house and talk to other parents. Suggest looking for a baby storytime at your local library instead.

This. Maybe she can see if there's a local mom's group on Facebook? The one near me did weekly mall walks for a while as a way to get out of the house when the weather wasn't baby friendly. Also if she goes to the library groups she can ask the moms there what other activities they do and she might hear about other free events.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:19:06 AM »
Not worth it at that age. I did a similar class (My Gym) at 6 months, baby couldn't even crawl yet. It was cute to see her around other kids, but once I found that a church in town had a similar Mommy and Me class weekly for FREE, we didn't go back to My Gym. Until they are mobile and running around (closer to 2), it's not really that big of a deal. My kid climbs furniture like it's her job, and is an American Ninja Warrior on the playground, and that is all without paid infant/toddler gymnastics lessons.

One we figured out that paying $80/month for our baby's "gym membership" was a stupid idea, we just got a family membership to the YMCA ($111/month for the family) where the kid could socialize and play with other kids, while mom and dad could get exercise / shower privately / play on wifi in the smoothie cafe for 2 hours/day. Plus now our YMCA offers a Parent and Me class three mornings a week where the kids play exactly the same games they did at My Gym. That was a real win-win.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 09:48:27 AM »
Look for mom's groups, free activities at the library, etc. It's summer - go to the pool, etc. When you can, take the baby and shoo mom out of the house so she can run errands, see friends, etc without the baby. Chances are good that she's going a little crazy and this is a socially accepted way to get out of the house.

dalexa1010

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Anyone can sell on Ebay
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 12:58:12 PM »
They best thing we got out of gymboree were friends, both for our kids and for my stay at home wife.  Good place for that kind of stuff.