Author Topic: Are dryer sheets necessary?  (Read 7917 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Are dryer sheets necessary?
« on: February 08, 2017, 06:45:07 AM »
I was reading online where someone had stated they cut their dryer sheets in half to save money.

My initial reaction was "Baller! Dryer sheets? Who can afford that luxury?" Lol

But seriously though it's extremely rare that I buy them. When I used to, I don't remember a big enough difference in my clothes to warrant purchasing.

I guess I just feel that as long as my clothes are clean I'm good.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: Are dryer sheets necessary?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 06:48:38 AM »
I hate them. Who wants fake cheicmally perfume smell on their clothes?

I occasionally have static if I dry fleece stuff. But oh well, shake it out and the static goes away. Or hang dry.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 07:20:09 AM »
No, just get these for under $5 which does the same thing and should last for life.

They remove static and help your clothes dry faster. It just doesn't leave that dryer sheet smell.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 07:23:28 AM »
I haven't used my dryer in over 3 years. In warm weather I hang clothes outside. During winter I hang them on racks in the bedroom. It helps humidify the air.  I don't use fabric softener either as it is really bad for plumbing/septic system.  I never notice any stiffness or static. Also recently started washing everything except whites in cold water as an experiment. They seem to be just as clean but it is too soon to say if there is any difference in the power bill. I have an electric hot water heater and fairy expensive rates.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 07:29:56 AM »
They're a necessary evil this time of year to cut static cling, especially on slacks. Be warned, however, that they can create a buildup on baffle bar sensors if you have an automatic dryer and make your lint filter less effective. An occasional cleaning of both will restore performance.

We do have those dryer balls which are good for wrinkles but it's a balancing act. If your load is too small, the drum interior finish takes a beating, if too large, they can't circulate.

doneby35

• Bristles

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 07:44:11 AM »
No likey.
We tried tennis balls, sheep balls, etc. Could not tell a difference. No idea where the positive Amazon reviews come from.
We just get it clean & deal with the static, like badasses ;)

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »
Dryer sheets are like $8.79 for a pack of 230(from a quick google search).

Running the dryer costs about ~$0.40 a load. A single dryer sheet is less than $0.04. So the electricity of running your dryer costs ten times what the dryer sheet costs.

Either line dry your clothes or don't worry about the cost of dryer sheets. I have always found the dryer sheets necessary to eliminate static. If you want to save money, then use the dryer less often. Wear your clothes more than one time if they are not dirty. Stuff like bed sheets and towels can be line-dried(if you have room). Never run a load of clothes that is not full. Etc... That will help much more than saving 2 cents a load by cutting a dryer sheet in half.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!