Author Topic: Aquafaba (liquid from chickpeas/beans) uses?  (Read 3131 times)

MBot

• Pencil Stache
Aquafaba (liquid from chickpeas/beans) uses?
« on: April 28, 2016, 10:50:45 AM »
Anyone else tried aquafaba? It's the liquid from a can of beans/chickpeas that you can whip and make into egg white-like textures.

I thought I might start experimenting with this:
www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/easy-vegan-mayo-aquafaba-recipe-vegan-experience.html

The forum search just turned up one poster whose aquafaba cookies didn't turn out great, but i'm sure there's successes out there!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:54:17 AM by MBot »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Re: Aquafaba (liquid from chickpeas/beans) uses?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 11:17:16 AM »
Interesting. i just poured out the liquid from my last batch of chickpeas and felt guilty.

I've been using the whey from making yogurt in smoothies. Then DH started worrying because he read somewhere that whey is bad for you because it is a byproduct. *sigh*

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 11:28:36 AM »
Facepunch for using canned beans at all.  What the hell is wrong with you people?  It's about 50 times cheaper to use dried chickpeas.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:56:15 PM »
I don't normally drain my beans.  I just use the whole can, and the liquid is just extra sauce.

If I make bean dip, such as hummus, I save the liquid and use it the get the texture smooth instead of oil.

Ocelot

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »
If you're soaking your beans like a Mustachian you will also be creating aquafaba. I've used it successfully as a general egg replacement in recipes that use a small amount as a binder (baking etc). I tried to make a pavlova once and it failed miserably - whipped up perfectly but collapsed and dissolved in the oven.

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 02:12:44 PM »
Facepunch for using canned beans at all.  What the hell is wrong with you people?  It's about 50 times cheaper to use dried chickpeas.

Ah, but if you use the aquafaba for meringue, that's money saved on eggs. ;)

We actually just bought a can of chickpeas the other week just to see if we could make meringue with it - it worked out! :D   We just needed to keep high sugar content (like regular meringue)

If you're soaking your beans like a Mustachian you will also be creating aquafaba. I've used it successfully as a general egg replacement in recipes that use a small amount as a binder (baking etc). I tried to make a pavlova once and it failed miserably - whipped up perfectly but collapsed and dissolved in the oven.

That makes sense - I guess it might take some doing to get the right ratio of liquid to beans for it to work out just right?

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »

LOL - I read the recipe more carefully and realized that it relies on the chickpea brine from canned chickpeas *duh*. Since I use dried chickpeas, I guess I won't be able to use any of these tips. Hmm...maybe I should just save the liquid and use it as veggie broth or something?

By the way - anyone use the Instant Pot to make chickpeas? Still struggling with getting the right consistency. My last batch I used enough water to cover and it ended up being too little and the top layer was dried out and a little burned. (Still edible so we're eating it). I added extra time to the cooking time in the cookbook and they're still too dry for me since I like the almost mushy canned consistency.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 03:30:45 PM »
When I make a batch of beans in my IP, I save it and use it to pour over the dog food for my dogs. They really like it and I toss them a few beans too.