Author Topic: Appraising dishes and stuff?  (Read 3704 times)

Random Internet Stranger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Appraising dishes and stuff?
« on: April 21, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »
Greetings fellow Mustachians!!!

I am new to growing a magnificent 'stache like many of you have, but we all must start somewhere. And I am starting to see a few wispy strands upon my lip!! /cheers!

However, I come to you with a small dilemma. I have been looking at the things we have in our house, both his and mine, and have come to the realization that we have stuff. Too much stuff!!  Most of that I can easily take care of... Goodwill, VoA, and St Vinnies are more than willing to help. But, that brings me to my small issue.

My grandparents on both sides have been gone for many many years.  On my father's side, I was the only granddaughter, and as such, I ended up with a ton of their belongings when they passed. Many of those things, I didn't need, and found them good homes and I know that both my grandmother and grandfather would have been pleased that I found them to be useful and didn't just toss them out.  My father's parents were older when they had him, and as such, had a good amount of kitchenware/blankets/ quilts and so on.

I am the last one in our family on this side, for the most part. My grandparents only had the two kids, and the relatives on both sides are deceased. My dad had given all these items to me, he doesn't want them. My brother cut himself off from us and wants nothing to do with anything of theirs. That's fine with me, it's his life. So its just me, and I am left with boxes and boxes of old china dishes, about 4 large boxes in all.

I don't have anyone in my family who would want them. I can't use them, nor can I display them, we just don't have anywhere to do so. My husband and I can't have kids, and tbh, I'm in my late 40's now, so it won't happen. Passing them down is kind of pointless when there is no one to pass them to.

So there you go in a nutshell. I hate the thought of dragging them around from place to place, and them just staying in the boxes, never opened and taking up space.

I have been thinking about seeing if they are actually worth something, and if so, sell them and save the money. My granddad was a dab hand at stocks, and did well for himself and my grandmother. He left me a trust for when I am 60 to supplement my retirement so I wouldn't have to worry. I know they would be ok if I sold the dishes and saved the money....I think they would rather me do that (as long as it was invested wisely). Grandad was very money oriented lol I think it was because of the Depression era. He was a Mustachean before it was a thing!! Walked everywhere, saved everything, never wasteful if he could help it. Frugal to the max...it was almost a joke when I was a child, but now that I am older, I can see why he was that way, and how much I am turning out like him. My dad says the same thing, and says I take after his side of the family.

So, how do I go about doing this? I never have had anything appraised...I don't even know if they are worth much at all. I also have an old donald duck film on a reel...I have no clue if its good or not.

How would I find this out?  Any ideas would be welcome!!

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: Appraising dishes and stuff?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »
Honestly, there is very little chance of them being worth anything at all.  Why?  Because just like you, no one wants fancy dishes!

One option is to call replacements unlimited.  They won't give you much.   The other option is to sell them on CL or ebay, but you won't get much. 

I have a set in my basement that no one in the family wants (including me!) but my H can't bear to get rid of.  I hope the next time we move they accidentally fall off the back of the moving truck. 

Random Internet Stranger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »
I sort of figured that as well. Its not so much fancy dishes... its just they are not my style whatsoever.  They are all blue and white, with pilgrims and stuff all over them lol. I just groaned when I saw them.

But I figure MAYBE one or two might be a collector. My grandad was like that, he would buy something for my grandma he was sure would increase in value.  But, then again, his taste was a bit off.

Thank you for the idea tho!

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 08:19:29 PM »
check and see what they sell for on ebay.  If there are any marks on the back you should be able to find them easily.  Be sure and check what they have sold for - not the asking price.  Huge difference.

Random Internet Stranger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »
Thank you for the info...

I will be going thru the boxes in the near future and seeing exactly what is in there and what condition they are in. They have been packed for 20 years and carted back and forth between 2 states so from what I can see atm, it looks like they may be in good condition but who knows.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 02:51:41 PM »
I buy things at garage sales and yard sales and occasionally sell to replacements.com. It is very easy. Just search for your pattern on their site, get the name of it, call them and give them the name, and then they will send you a price sheet for every dish in that set. If you decide to sell to them, you pay shipping and then they evaluate your items and decide what they want to give you. You can check on the form if you will accept 75%, half, etc. of the original offer price based on what they deem is damaged. Then, they send you a quote. Anything you decide not to sell, they ship back to you for free. It is a simple process and I highly recommend it over trying to sell it on Ebay.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!