Author Topic: Applesauce  (Read 7192 times)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
Applesauce
« on: February 20, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »
I am blessed with oodles of homemade applesauce.  Even organic applesauce that came in a basket I won.  I can even get as much free refills of the homemade applesauce as I want from my sister.  My only problem, which I admit is not even #firstworldproblem, but more likely #Iwantthatproblem, is what it should accompany.  In my world, it only accompanies potato pancakes/latkes or pork.  My husband doesn't like pork, so that's a lot of potato pancakes, which I don't make that often.

What are your delicious meals that utilize applesauce?  Give me some ideas!

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Applesauce
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »
Applesauce is great on top of cereal.  Put the milk in first, then the applesauce on top.  Yummy!

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »
We eat it as snacks, for breakfast (plain, in yogurt, on pancakes or oatmeal) and as a side dish several times per week with dinner.  We eat it with anything because we all love it (and I make my own and can it each fall) and its a cheap and easy filler that is very nutritious.  Applesauce goes with everything not just pork.

PEIslander

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 01:35:20 PM »
This is too easy. =:^)

Put applesauce in your smoothie.
Applesauce on ice-cream is wonderful.
Make custard & then swirl in some applesauce. Yummy.
Thicken some applesauce by boiling off most of the moisture. Use the thickened applesauce as "apple butter" on your toast.
Applesauce with plain yogurt = delicious probiotics.
Applesauce with hot water makes a nice "tea".
Oatmeal porridge with applesauce.
Use applesauce as the base for a curried sauce. Good with either vegetables, chicken, shrimp or tofu -- or all together!
Put applesauce in your cake batter.
Put applesauce in your pancake batter.
Put applesauce on plastic wrap in a dehydrator and make your own fruit leather.
Add applesauce to mashed turnip or mashed squash or mashed pumpkin.
Make your own booze by fermenting & then distilling applesauce & water.
Eat it by the bowlful - all by itself.
Add it to a bowl of granola.
Heat it up as a sauce for a piece of cake.
Use it in bread dough in place of water/milk.
Make a cocktail with applesauce (hot or cold) + rum + cream (or milk or nut/soya milk). Sprinkle cinnamon on top. (Don't forget the rum).
Make a cocktail with heated applesauce + melted butter + rum + warmed apple juice. (Again, don't forget the rum).
Make a desert parfait layering applesauce, whipped cream, and chunks of angel food cake. (Rum sprinkle on the cake layers is optional).

Hope these ideas help.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:11:34 PM by PEIslander »

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »
You can also use applesauce when you bake.  You can substitute out oil or butter with applesauce in a one-to-one ratio.  Or replace a large egg w/ 1/4 cup of apple sauce.  Here are some recipes:  http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/How-Substitute-Applesauce-Butter-Eggs-25207483
It changes the texture a bit - it will make your cookies a bit cake-ier.  But they'll taste the same as long as the applesauce is unsweetened. 

I'll also second the fruit leather idea.  It's super easy.  If you don't have a dehydrator, just put your oven on its lowest setting.  Smear a thin layer on parchment paper and bake it for a few hours.  Check on it periodically.  The exact time of baking depends on how thin your layer is. 

I also eat applesauce on my hotdogs/kielbasa, but I'm fully aware of the fact that this is weird.  (but delicious). 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:35:47 PM by AllieVaulter »

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 03:09:39 PM »
I do a 50/50 mix of applesauce and whole fat cottage cheese as an afternoon snack.

PEIslander

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 04:09:14 PM »
I also eat applesauce on my hotdogs/kielbasa, but I'm fully aware of the fact that this is weird.  (but delicious).

Perhaps I'm weird too but that sounds really good to me.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:55:47 PM »
I don't mind full fat muffins/etc but as a pp said we sub half applesauce just to use it up and save on oil.

MrsGreenPear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My food blog: Savory Moments
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 06:38:00 AM »
Like many others have said, I use applesauce a lot in baking like quick breads and muffins. It's also great in pancakes and oatmeal.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 09:09:19 PM »

Perhaps I'm weird too but that sounds really good to me.

You should try it.  I've done it since I was a kid.  But if you're in public, be prepared for some weird looks.  :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »
Make apple butter.

I like it stirred into oatmeal.

If you google "paleo pancakes" you'll fine a bunch of egg-based recipes that are something like applesauce, a nut or coconut flour (imagine it would work with regular flour) and a bit of baking powder and pie spices.  You can wing it with this formula and make a nice pancake for a weekend breakfast.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
Thanks for all of the ideas everyone.

Is it bad that the most tempting to try first is the rum cocktail?...

And yes, I've been known to eat a bowl by itself as a kid.  I called it "breakfast" (or an afternoon snack).

JetsettingWelfareMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 11:03:16 PM »
Let it ferment into Apple Cider Vinegar....or wine....guess that's the danger of using apples your wine might end up tasting like vinegar. :-P