Author Topic: App for Saving/Spending/Money  (Read 1786 times)

caught

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
App for Saving/Spending/Money
« on: January 23, 2018, 04:25:33 PM »
Hi there,

We want to make some big savings changes this year due to a situation change, and some goals we've agreed upon as a family. Part of this is more awareness on what is coming in and going out, and a budget.

We have several bank accounts due to mortgage, savings, cheque, linked accounts etc. across three different banks. We have thought about consolidating these accounts but the cost would be quite big to cut mortgages short etc. So what we are looking for, at least in the interim, is to use an app (or something similar) to track our incomings and outgoings per month, and set goals.

What would you recommend? What do you use (even if not an app)? How do you track your finances?

Thanks

nurseart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: App for Saving/Spending/Money
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
YNAB or you need a budget would be well suited for this. I like it because it is more interactive than mint. Basically, every dollar gets a job. It is free for the first 30 some days, check it out.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »
I use YNAB.  It does budgeting in addition to tracking, but if you're looking to make a big change in how you spend it may be just the ticket for you.

Rocketman

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:47:25 PM »
Is this the YNAB Reply or what... I use YNAB and HIGHLY recommended it. I also use Personal Capital app to keep track of the different amounts in the banks and investments. But YNAB is the spending budget app.

caught

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 07:27:19 PM »
Thanks all. I'm based in New Zealand and have researched YNAB and found that in actual fact, it doesn't work with our banks here. You have to manually download the statements each week, not ideal! There are two other options which are global but also coordinate with NZ banks, Powerswitch (costs NZD10 a months), or Wave Accounting (which is free). I'm going to trial Wave and if it's not what I'm after, I can always look at Powerswitch. Thanks for your help as by recommending YNAB I found Wave Accounting from another forum :)