Treb3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« on: August 12, 2018, 03:33:51 PM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 06:56:58 PM by Treb3 »

BZB

• Bristles
Re: Apartment and car smell good?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 03:38:03 PM »
A very thorough cleaning and regular airing out should help. What's the specific problem you're dealing with?

mxmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »
Wax warmers are a bit luxurious but you can buy cheap wax cubes at walmart

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 04:15:36 PM »
Just sold my house, and the realtor recommended Febreze--the linen/air scent--as providing a fresh, clean smell without being too perfume-smelling. I never use that kind of stuff--prefer lots of fragrance-free cleaning products and fresh air from open windows. But after I had a ten-minutes notice showing and the whole house smelled like the suppertime broccoli--I tried the Febreze. It worked well for the purpose.

What is your specific odor problem?

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
I like to leave a dutch oven of water on the stove with a third of a vanilla bean, half a lemon and a sprig of rosemary.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 05:26:25 AM »
I like to leave a dutch oven of water on the stove with a third of a vanilla bean, half a lemon and a sprig of rosemary.

Depending on local gas/electricity prices in your area, and how much you run the burner, it's possible for this to cost as much as $30-40 per month to run.

mxmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 06:26:23 AM »
You can make your own candles on the cheap.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 06:43:03 AM »
Baking soda is good for absorbing odors.

You can make a room spray or car spray by combining one or two antiseptic essential oils with witch hazel (lots of recipes online). Rosemary, lemon, mint, lavender, eucalyptus or tea tree oil are all natural disinfectants and provide natural odor control rather than just covering things up.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 06:58:35 AM »

Depending on local gas/electricity prices in your area, and how much you run the burner, it's possible for this to cost as much as $30-40 per month to run.

Do you have a source for that? I’ve seen estimates for running a burner a couple hours a day on low at $0.04 to $0.15 a day.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 07:34:59 AM »
I like to look for ways to make the house smell good that don't involve dangerously burning scented candles or leaving something simmering for hours on the stove. Sometimes I put some lavender essential oil in a spray bottle with water and mist my linens...and spray around the house a bit.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 07:46:21 AM »
If it even needs to be said, the boxes of baking soda in the refrigerator and freezer do make a difference. Buy the cheapest store brand, open the lid, and change them monthly. (You don't need those fancy expensive ones labeled as being for refrigerators.) And I do not keep any smelly organic garbage in my trash can--I keep it frozen in a ziplock, and get rid of it when the trash bag goes out to the dumpster. I clean the bottom of my Simple Human waste can with a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice--let it fizz for a while, then just rinse it out. So no garbagey trash can smell. I don't let the dirty clothes in the bin linger too long--when I have a load, I go down to the laundry room and wash it. And lingerie is washed daily by hand. I just try to keep the apartment clear of anything that might allow odors to build up. I don't get any car odors, but I don't let kids eat in my car, and I seldom eat in there myself. The trouble with dashboard dining is that you always end up spilling something sooner or later. I don't smoke, so there's no problem with smoke odors in my apartment or car. My dog is only ever in his crate in the car, so no odors from him. Any pet accidents in the house were always cleaned with Natures Miracle--highly recommended. The apartment has wall-to-wall carpeting, and I get it cleaned once a year with that dry foam method when the local vacuum store has a cheap sale. (They use it as a come-on to sell vacuums, but I just politely ignore that piece.) OP, we really need you to be more specific about what is causing the odors you are posting about.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 07:50:11 AM »
Oh, I just saw that you said no particular problems. Sorry for the home ec lecture. Maybe just one of those car air fresheners for the funny smell after a rain? Yankee Candle has them--might be helpful.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 08:39:22 AM »
Friend of mine made a little sachet of coffee beans to keep in the car. Her car smells good, if you like coffee.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »
I've seen people tie sachets or air freshener boards to their central air vents. When the air/heat comes on, it brings the nice scent through the whole house.