Author Topic: Anything I can do with a master's degree collecting dust?  (Read 3647 times)

Late_Bloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Counting every penny.
Thought I'd ask about this because I've all but wrote it off as a loss. Back In 2006 I graduated with a bachelor's of fine arts. I couldn't find a job remotely associated with the degree so I took whatever jobs I could get. In 2008 I went back and graduated with a master's in fine arts education. This certified me to teach k-12. Over the next year and a half I was able to get two interviews but did not get either job.

Around this time I landed a job I enjoyed which again, was unrelated to my field. At that time I decided to buck up and pay off the student loans so I focused on that and let applying for teaching jobs fall to the wayside. Three years later my wife got a good job opportunity in another state and we relocated.  I didn't want to give up completely so I took the certification tests for the new state we were now in.

At this point it was 2012. I got a decent job, which I'm currently working, yet it's unfulfilling.  i decided to apply for more  education positions. I got one interview out of the 15 surrounding districts and this one seemed to be the nail in the coffin. The interview was going well until the principal asked how much teaching experience I had. I said I had a full time one year internship, as well as two years of intermittent substitute teaching. At hearing that, she simply stood up and walked out of the room. I pretty much felt at that point the interview was over. The remaining panel continued but it ended shortly thereafter.

That brings us to now. My certification is still good until 2018 but I feel there is no point in trying to apply without sacrificing my current job in order to go back to school for refresher courses or attempt more substitute teaching to bring my experience back up to a relevant status. 

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:56:18 PM by Barrett73 »

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Anything I can do with a master's degree collecting dust?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 04:04:14 PM »
A master's should qualify you to teach at community colleges, no?

I was in a similar situation, liberal arts masters degree, not using it at my dead-end office job. Had taught college for two years during grad school, but that was years ago. I couldn't find any place that would hire me full time without more teaching experience. I took on a Saturday class at a private tutoring place.

Perhaps anti-mustachian, but I ended up just quitting the crappy job (life is too short to waste, I had enough savings to cover me for awhile), and then picked up one class, two classes, etc. because my schedule was free to do whatever. I eventually transitioned to community colleges "full-time."

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
I'm surprised they weren't more interested in your subbing experience. Is there any way you could free up your schedule enough to sub even one day a week where you are now? Not so much for the experience as the contacts--if you could get to know some principals and prove yourself, they might think of you if they have an opening or recommend you.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 04:06:38 PM »
Well, if you need actual teaching experience, can you teach some adult ed courses in your local system, or volunteer teaching out of hours somewhere? Community colleges are always crying for teachers for after hours classes.

You also may have to practice (in the mirror) answering the question about actual teaching experience more positively.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 04:30:57 AM »
Be glad you didn't get that job. Walking out mid interview was just fucking rude.

I have no other advice.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 05:49:05 AM »
I suspect that if you really want to teach, you need to do something that is going to give you a real edge over other candidates. These jobs are relatively rare and getting more so now that schools are shedding teachers of non-mandated subjects. At the moment, you probably aren't a terribly attractive candidate without recent experience or any accomplishment to make you stand out and schools generally get tons of applicants for these positions because many folks who major in fine arts need to support themselves.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 06:08:12 AM »
Be glad you didn't get that job. Walking out mid interview was just fucking rude.

I have no other advice.
Also the interviewer clearly didn't take the time to read the resume before sitting down for the interview, or they would have not wasted your day.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 06:26:09 AM »

I have no other advice.
Also the interviewer clearly didn't take the time to read the resume before sitting down for the interview, or they would have not wasted your day.

I've had this happen too...nothing that rude, but they wasted my time. Knew I had no experience yet brought me in anyway. Guess they thought somehow I'd magically know things that I would otherwise have no interest in unless employed there. That's where I kinda gave up trying to please other people and worked on my own stuff.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 08:41:50 AM »
There are plenty of states looking to hire. My district needs to hire 2,500 teachers by August.  That obviously won't happen. They'll take anybody.

But obviously your area is different right now. If it's important to you, keep pursuing it. Network with the various principals, let them know even if they don't have a job right now, to let you know if something opens up. There's shifts mid-year due to various factors, if you're on their radar due to being nice and reaching out several times, they may think of you first.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.