Author Topic: Anyone work at Northwestern University?  (Read 2180 times)

Vaporeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone work at Northwestern University?
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »
I've worked in the Chicago Loop for the past 7 years (treasury mgmt), but would love to work at Northwestern in Evanston. Any Mustachian insiders work there? I'd be interested in meeting for coffee to get your opinion on how best to get past their HR portal. It's also nice to meet local Mustachians! Thanks!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anyone work at Northwestern University?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »
I've worked in the Chicago Loop for the past 7 years (treasury mgmt), but would love to work at Northwestern in Evanston. Any Mustachian insiders work there? I'd be interested in meeting for coffee to get your opinion on how best to get past their HR portal. It's also nice to meet local Mustachians! Thanks!

Sorry-I don't work there anymore.  But I used to work there for 2 years, up until this year.  But I was at the downtown location, not Evanston.

I could make suggestions on getting a job there although I went the normal HR route.  But it would depend on what type of position you're trying to get.  Finance? Administration? Marketing? Research?  ...... ?

Vaporeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anyone work at Northwestern University?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:01:57 AM »
Thanks, EconDiva! I'd like to transition to Financial Administration or Budget/Research Analysis. Department doesn't matter. Honestly, I'm open to anything administration-related. I understand there are three distinct sections of Northwestern:

1) High-level business who sets the budgets
2) administrative liaisons who work with the budgets and research administration
3) professors and researchers

How would you recommend approaching the HR portal? Did you have an employee referral? I submitted custom cover letters with keywords matching the preferred qualifications. Even so, it feels like throwing your resume into a void. I'd love to meet more insiders who can help me around the system. Also, what did you enjoy and dislike most about working at NU? I've heard nothing but great things from current employees. Just looking for a well-rounded opinion. Thanks and, if you're still in Chicago, stay warm!