Author Topic: Anyone with a part time software development/programming job ?  (Read 1674 times)

StreetCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone with a part time software development/programming job ?
« on: October 20, 2018, 01:25:20 PM »
I'm a developer and I'm at a stage where I can Coast-FI (leave the 'stache as it is and find a job to cover just the expenses).

I don't want to completely stop working because:
  • I like coding and being part of a team and the camaraderie that comes with it, etc.
  • I will be too bored if I don't have anything to do.  I'm not a big traveling type person.

However, I also don't want to continue working full-time, because:
  • Full-time job is preventing me from doing things I like (primarily exercising more).
  • I don't have to.  If I find a job that just covers my annual expenses, that will suffice.  Current job comes with a bit more responsibility (and pay) than I need.

Question: Ideally I would like to find a part-time programming job (20-24 hours/week) in Java or related fields.  I have looked online and they don't seem to be the norm.  My current employer doesn't have this either.  Have any of you succeeded at finding a position like this?  How did you go about it and what geographical and technical areas are more likely to have part-time positions?  Any other pointers/tips?

TIA.

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Anyone with a part time software development/programming job ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 02:11:21 PM »
I'm confused - how much do you want to exercise every day that a normal job prevents you from doing that?

How much are you wanting per hour? Your FT salary rates?

What it sounds like is you want to be a contractor who works at a single client for less than 40 hours a week.

StreetCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 05:01:33 PM »
I'm confused - how much do you want to exercise every day that a normal job prevents you from doing that?

Sorry for the confusion.  The problem I have is that I am also a fairly active trader in the stock markets and that takes up some time during weekday mornings (I know mustachians are against market timing and all that, but it works for me and I'm fine with it).  I also have some chronic health issues and to keep them at bay I do need at least 2-3 hours daily to do exercises, yoga and other similar stuff.  The said issues also make me sleep around 9 hours a day.  I feel like if I can somehow get 3 more hours in my day, that will solve these issues.

I would prefer not to disclose my current FT rate, but I am a senior level developer, I'm paid well, and save around 75% of take home pay.  For PT work I want to make at least 40$/hour before taxes.  That will cover all my expenses.  If I can get a job with health benefits too, I can easily get by with 32$/hr.

2 more years at my current job and I can FIRE.  But even then, I don't think I will happy if I completely stop working.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 05:17:30 PM »

Sorry for the confusion.  The problem I have is that I am also a fairly active trader in the stock markets and that takes up some time during weekday mornings (I know mustachians are against market timing and all that, but it works for me and I'm fine with it).  I also have some chronic health issues and to keep them at bay I do need at least 2-3 hours daily to do exercises, yoga and other similar stuff.  The said issues also make me sleep around 9 hours a day.  I feel like if I can somehow get 3 more hours in my day, that will solve these issues.

I would prefer not to disclose my current FT rate, but I am a senior level developer, I'm paid well, and save around 75% of take home pay.  For PT work I want to make at least 40$/hour before taxes.  That will cover all my expenses.  If I can get a job with health benefits too, I can easily get by with 32$/hr.

2 more years at my current job and I can FIRE.  But even then, I don't think I will happy if I completely stop working.
$40/hour sounds quite low for senior level development work. Make sure you're not under selling yourself.

StreetCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »
$40/hour sounds quite low for senior level development work. Make sure you're not under selling yourself.
$40/hr is the minimum I would like to make from my part-time job (which is what I am trying to find).  I make quite a bit more than that right now in my full-time job.

SeanTash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 12:36:00 AM »
Just wondering if you ever went the part time route, or are still in your old job?

I'm a developer too. Now working 20 hours a week. Ish

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!