Author Topic: Anyone use MetroMile for auto insurance?  (Read 2847 times)

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
Anyone use MetroMile for auto insurance?
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
Are they better at claims compared to, say, AAA? I am with AAA currently and insurance per mile sounds really enticing. I will end up paying lower monthly premiums compared to AAA (after adding AAA membership fee). But the problem is I don't anyone who carries metromile insurance.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anyone use MetroMile for auto insurance?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 03:48:57 PM »
I got a quote for it and it was not better than Geico for driving 5k miles a year.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:36:31 PM »
Posting to follow.

I've considered one of those per mile companies, but State Farm just verifies my vehicle mileage every now and then, lets me declare vehicles as not-daily-drivers, and they're awesome with claims.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 09:46:26 PM »
We had them for several years, until they simply didn't fit our driving needs anymore. I'd go back, though, if the rates were right.

The only claims I ever had were two chipped window repairs and one vandalism. (four windows busted out. Jerks hit every car at the trailhead!)

They sent mobile guys out the day I called, fixed within a few hours of my claim. No paper work to deal with on my end at all. For the windows, I was given a list of glass shops they worked directly with to choose from. Set up an appointment and done. They took out my deductible payment automatically once the repair was completed.

I also did a roadside assistance call for a flat tire simply because it was well below freezing and I didn't want to deal with it. I just hit the assistance button on the app and ordered roadside that way. Back on the road within 30 minutes.

Although I don't have them anymore, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them if their rates are good. My rates also never went up the entire time I had them. Most renewal periods they actually dropped our per mile charges.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »
We had them for several years, until they simply didn't fit our driving needs anymore. I'd go back, though, if the rates were right.

The only claims I ever had were two chipped window repairs and one vandalism. (four windows busted out. Jerks hit every car at the trailhead!)

They sent mobile guys out the day I called, fixed within a few hours of my claim. No paper work to deal with on my end at all. For the windows, I was given a list of glass shops they worked directly with to choose from. Set up an appointment and done. They took out my deductible payment automatically once the repair was completed.

I also did a roadside assistance call for a flat tire simply because it was well below freezing and I didn't want to deal with it. I just hit the assistance button on the app and ordered roadside that way. Back on the road within 30 minutes.

Although I don't have them anymore, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them if their rates are good. My rates also never went up the entire time I had them. Most renewal periods they actually dropped our per mile charges.

Great. Good to know.

pk_aeryn

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 11:31:51 PM »
I cannot speak for their claims process as (fortunately) I have not been in any accidents since insuring with them but I have found their customer service to be exceptional, extremely friendly agents with short waits, no call center outsourcing to other countries (that I've encountered)

They have also raised my rate a little over the years I've had them, but they've been up front with why versus other companies that seem to do it because they can.

And it really does make me more conscious of my driving and makes me ask myself "is this drive truly necessary or is there a way I can make this more efficient?"

The bummer is that for road trips the max miles per day you could be charged was 150, and thTs going up to 250 in CA so it makes road trips a little more expensive.