Author Topic: Anyone use Cryptomator or Veracrypt?  (Read 3143 times)

pigpen

• Stubble
Anyone use Cryptomator or Veracrypt?
« on: July 23, 2018, 01:53:26 PM »
I was looking for secure cloud storage and saw the suggestion that it's better to just encrypt files yourself before uploading them to your preferred storage method (currently Google docs in my case), using software such as Cryptomator, Veracrypt, or the like.

I don't have a huge amount of files to store. I basically just want to start getting rid of some old paper documents, including some medical and tax records. My wife and I are considering moving overseas and doing some traveling in a couple of years, so we'd like to store these in a safe and usable format. And as a Mustachian, of course, we don't want to pay a lot to do that.

Does anyone know anything about how effective this type of software is? Which is better/easier? Downside to using it? I'm not a "tech person," but for a person who's not in the field, I tend to be able to figure things out pretty well.

Thanks.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Anyone use Cryptomator or Veracrypt?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:28:37 PM »
Just set up two factor authentication for Google and upload the stuff unencrypted.

Your medical records aren’t that interesting. Neither are your old tax records.

px4shooter

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 11:02:08 PM »
I prefer veracrypt. Both can be brute force hacked, but do take time. Not as easy as bitlocker to back though.

It is an extra level and I would use it. The person above says old tax docs aren't interesting. They arent, but they are a gold mine for identity theft.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:14:57 AM »
It is an extra level and I would use it. The person above says old tax docs aren't interesting. They arent, but they are a gold mine for identity theft.

Sure, but it's not like you're putting them out on some random webserver for someone to find.  Google Drive, Dropbox, etc, when protected by two factor auth, is really quite secure.

If you're worried about Google stealing your tax docs to use for one off identity theft... I guess encrypt them?  Or just don't use Google.  But I don't worry that much about them making use of random documents I've uploaded.

If someone wants your stuff, specifically, they can probably find a way to get it, and locally encrypting it doesn't matter that much (if they've compromised the endpoint, they can just wait until you decrypt it or encrypt something else, sniff the keystrokes, and go at decrypting it).  But up on Google Drive is a secure place that's defended against random attacks, even if someone guesses your password, because you've got the second auth factor in place.

Given a reasonable threat model for the situation posted, I don't see how an additional layer of encryption adds any useful protections.

pigpen

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »
You're basically saying that Google Docs is secure enough to not worry about it? I'm not knowledgeable enough on the topic to know either way. Just trying to gain information. So why the market for any sort of "secure" cloud storage or encryption software? Is everyone who wants it worrying too much? (Again, I'm not trying to argue for the sake of it. I really just want to learn more about this.) Given the number of data breaches that seem to happen all the time, it seems as if SOME caution might not be a bad idea.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 02:14:55 PM »
If you have two factor authentication enabled, yes, I consider Google Drive secure enough for that type of information.

On the other hand, I'm not going to store national secrets or something there without a bit more protection. Or at all.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
Not to be that guy, but why do you want to store PII in the cloud?

pigpen

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 05:06:15 PM »
Not to be that guy, but why do you want to store PII in the cloud?

It's not that I specifically want to, but it seemed like a good option. I want to keep the documents in question and have access to them, but there's a good possibility that my wife and I will be moving overseas and doing a fair amount of traveling, so I don't want to carry them around with us either. I'd be happy to hear some alternatives that would work.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 07:11:08 AM »
Gotcha. I can't think of any free encrypted cloud storage I'd use, but I have no problem with encrypting the files myself and uploading them. It's easy enough to decrypt them later.