Author Topic: anyone use an oral irrigator?  (Read 4703 times)

Case

• Pencil Stache
anyone use an oral irrigator?
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:57:18 PM »
Yea, I know it sounds dirty.

My dentist wants me to get a Hydrofloss from him (for $144!).  Says the magnetization is worth it versus a waterpik.

Anyone know much about these devices?  What's the best to get?  I'm happy to spend money on it, but don't want to get something that's going to break fast or is otherwise significantly worse than other products.

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
anyone use an oral irrigator?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:25:31 PM »

My dentist wants me to get a Hydrofloss from him (for $144!).  Says the magnetization is worth it versus a waterpik.

Anyone know much about these devices?  What's the best to get?  I'm happy to spend money on it, but don't want to get something that's going to break fast or is otherwise significantly worse than other products.
I bought a $40 oral irrigator from Amazon when I was waiting to have my wisdom tooth removed. It made a huge difference preventing infection and keeping a "food trap" area in my jaw very clean (gross, I know. Sorry.) I'm not sure why your dentist is recommending a specific brand or what magnetization would do, but I can tell you that my knockoff waterpik was great.
Also, don't use cold water! Ouch.

(Edited for typos)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:29:26 PM by yourusernamehere »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
Re: anyone use an oral irrigator?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:34:03 PM »
A quick search shows you can get one for $99, so your dentist is trying to increase his income by $80 to $90.
 The magnetization comment is a crock.
Read some of these comments.
http://ask.metafilter.com/61260/Hydrofloss-Does-it-work
 It may very well clean your teeth by the high pressure flushing,
but as one of the dental hygienists said, just floss your teeth.
  That said, I'd like to try one, if I didn't have to pay for it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:35:45 PM by BTDretire »

SummerLovin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 10:17:56 PM »
I can't tell you about that particular product but hooking and unhooking to faucet sounds like a PITA. I bought this one in Nov. '15 https://www.amazon.com/Gurin-Professional-Rechargeable-Irrigator-Capacity/dp/B00XQ21G1Q and it's been great.  I still floss, but I have a bridge work and this has been a godsend in getting the bigger stuff out to allow for better flossing, plus my mouth feels cleaner.  Not sure how long it will last, but I will definitely buy another. I chose it because of the size. I didn't want anything that took up too much counter space or suitcase space. It travels well. 
Good luck, and do follow up with whatever you decide, as I am curious to the other options out there.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:15:47 AM »
A quick search shows you can get one for $99, so your dentist is trying to increase his income by $80 to $90.
 The magnetization comment is a crock.
Read some of these comments.
http://ask.metafilter.com/61260/Hydrofloss-Does-it-work
 It may very well clean your teeth by the high pressure flushing,
but as one of the dental hygienists said, just floss your teeth.
  That said, I'd like to try one, if I didn't have to pay for it.

I looked into buying it cheaper online, but have across some statements that the device breaks on occasion, and the purchasing from a certified distributor (e.g. dentist) rather than Amazon is needed to enact the warranty.  I haven't figured out the details though.

Unclear on the magnetization part.  It does sound like total BS at first, though they have some peer reviewed journal studies on it.

What does seem clear, though, is that an oral irrigator of some sort is much more effective than floss at removing plaque under the gums.  This is of concern to myself, due to some gumline recession.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 07:20:23 AM »
I wouldn't buy it directly from your dentist, especially if he's trying to do a hard sell. My dentist carries Sonicares and similar products and always tells me I can buy it from her, but also tells me I am welcome to get it at Costco or wherever else as well. That always tells me she believes more in the product and not her bottom line.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 07:38:42 AM »
I got a $35 Panasonic (EW-DJ10-A) from Amazon and it works great. It uses batteries, but you can just get rechargeable batteries. Plus, then you don't have the problem where the built-in rechargeable battery goes bad.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 08:05:56 AM »
I used to use one until it died after 2 years. I really liked it and found lots of stuff came out of the teeth even after flossing. I just need to get another one.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
I use a Waterpik and it's great. I hedge my bets by flossing a couple times a week, in addition to daily Waterpik sessions. My dentist is happy.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 09:57:36 AM »
Waterpiks are awesome. I actually have two - first one broke but I figured out how to replaced the hose. If you can find a deal on one for $40 or under, which come around every now and then, it's worth it. I don't use it as often as I should but I think it does make a difference. I recall there being a period of time where I was consistently using it and my dentist was commenting on how there wasn't much for him to clean. I used it exclusively when I had really poor dental health and was on the road to recovery (this was an expensive lesson in continuing to make regular visits with a dentist) and it helped tremendously. I would not substitute this for flossing or brushing but would make it supplemental. Great if you can use it once a day like at night or perhaps every other day, but don't *only* depend on it. There are brush-head attachments but I much prefer using a plain old toothbrush regardless.

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »
I use a waterpik and it's fabulous, but I also got mine for free from my dentist. They had just gotten them and gave it to me to try out and see how it worked with my crowding issues. I've had mine for years with no problems at all.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 01:01:06 PM »
I got a $35 Panasonic (EW-DJ10-A) from Amazon and it works great. It uses batteries, but you can just get rechargeable batteries. Plus, then you don't have the problem where the built-in rechargeable battery goes bad.
I did the same when i had braces.
Didn't use it much... went back to just power toothbrush, floss, hydrogen peroxide rinse.

BrendanP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 06:53:03 AM »
Waterpiks are amazing - the amount of crap that they get out of my teeth and it takes much less time than flossing, and there's less blood involved.

Costco sells one at a decent price which comes with a smaller travel version.

I would highly recommend it.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »

I ended up getting the hydrofloss, though not via my dentist; instead went through the company to save money. 
Unmustachian purchase, but rationale was I'd get the fancy because of uncertainty on whether it would give extra benefit and I didn't want to risk health of my gums (I have some gum recession already).

I likely wont remember to give an update on satisfaction in ~6 months, but if you see this thread and want info, PM me I will post an update at that point.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 05:34:39 AM »
I've had good luck with Waterpiks. (Have two--one in the house and another in the apartment.) Years ago, I thought they were just another gadget, and I always just used floss. But when sunspot activity or something caused me to try a Waterpik, I was amazed at how much cleaner my mouth was. And I find them more comfortable on my teeth than floss. I use a setting about half way up--not too hard, not too soft--but enough to get the debris out.

2microsNH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 10:58:44 AM »
I too use a Waterpik and like how it makes my mouth feel. But, as others have suggested, I wouldn't buy it from your dentist -- (s)he's scamming you.