Author Topic: Anyone use a good workout dvd?  (Read 6269 times)

ABC123

• Bristles
Anyone use a good workout dvd?
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:48:38 PM »
I refuse to spend money on a gym membership, but just working out all on my own doesn't work. I have several workout dvds that I use often, and would like to add a bit of variety.  Do you have any that you like? I only have about half an hour at a time to do it. Help me out folks! I need to burn some calories!

h2ogal

• Stubble
Re: Anyone use a good workout dvd?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 06:54:52 PM »
I bought the Insanity workout set, but it was really expensive.  Mostly I like to take classes at the Y but I do a video in a pinch.  If you are looking for an inexpensive workout video sometimes you can get one from amazon.com.  I got Jillian Michaels 30 minute workout videos, which I like but they seem to be more geared toward women if that matters. 

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »
I can't tell your gender based on your post (maybe it doesn't matter), but my DVD rotation of lady workouts includes: yoga, kickboxing, and pilates. I like Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, but I've never got all the way through it. When I get bored with what I have at home, I find zumba and belly dancing videos on YouTube. I'm not terribly picky, which also helps with variety.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »
I'm a female, for the record,  so girly workouts are good for me. I have Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 and I use that one often.  I have heard that Insanity is good, I might have to see if I can find a deal on that one.

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:31:14 PM »
Check out Ellen Barrett. She manages to get your heart rate up and get you limber at the same time. A few of her full length workouts are on YouTube.

decembeir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 08:37:08 PM »
I like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred... would like to try Insanity, but it's too expensive.

Don't forget to check your library for copies of workout movies, mine has a decent selection. Since the checkout time is usually only 1 week for DVDs, you could either check them out in rotation or just use it as a change make sure you like the workout before buying.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 09:36:24 PM »
I refuse to spend money on a gym membership, but just working out all on my own doesn't work. I have several workout dvds that I use often, and would like to add a bit of variety.  Do you have any that you like? I only have about half an hour at a time to do it. Help me out folks! I need to burn some calories!

Get on IG and subscribe. Plenty of free videos, sets and ideas...

jilybeann5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 07:38:28 AM »
If you don't want to buy something, there are tons of free workouts on youtube.  A couple of my favorite channels are Jessica Smith Fitness and Fitness Blender.  Both have lots of variety.  Also, if you're looking for yoga, Yoga with Adrienne is another good channel.  She just finished a 30 day challenge and all the videos are 15 to 30 minutes long. 

As for DVDs, I'd suggest Kelly Coffey-Meyer.  She has a series called 30 Minutes to Fitness that is really good and has a variety of weights and cardio.  You can buy her dvds at amazon.

delta26

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 07:43:39 AM »
We did insanity in Iraq...we thought we were in good shape, but it smoked us. It is also nice because you don't need anything else (weights, bands, pullup bars, etc.) and can do it anywhere. A lot of it was what they used to smoke us in basic.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 07:52:56 AM »
If you want to work out at home, I'd suggest the book "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. It has some example programs, but more importantly you should be able to use the principles to come up with your own work outs indefinitely (so you don't *need* any DVDs). Ross Enamait's "Never Gymless" is also good.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:55:17 AM by vhalros »

yandz

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 08:12:03 AM »
I am mildly embarrassed to post this because I am just not at all the ..."beach babe" persona these ladies ebrace, but toneitup.com is great - they post tons of free printable/youtube workouts so you always have lots of variety.  They also have [expensive] DVDs to purchase if that format is important to you.  I like that their stuff is all short - like 10 minutes - and focused on a body area so you can mix and match for full body or do multiple reps of one workout to really burn out. Or if it is just a super busy day, you can still squeeze something in.

hunniebun

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 08:14:52 AM »
I use several from beach body - Chalene Extreme is a good one for weights, Turbofire is good for cardio, 21 day fix is a good eating plan and workout schedule. I found some on ebay for half the price of the original.  Good luck finding something that you like!

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
The beachbody ones are really good.  See if you have a friend who could loan you some!

I really love:
Chalean Extreme (weights)
TurboFire (kickboxing/cardio)
PiYo (yoga/pilates and strength training using only body weight)

I found Insanity boring (difficult, but not engaging), and P90x was way too long.  There are shorter programs now though that might be good.  I also like T25.

I know you don't NEED videos, but I find videos to be really helpful and motivating - I push myself more for some reason.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 11:14:14 AM »
The beachbody ones are really good.  See if you have a friend who could loan you some!

I really love:
Chalean Extreme (weights)
TurboFire (kickboxing/cardio)
PiYo (yoga/pilates and strength training using only body weight)

I found Insanity boring (difficult, but not engaging), and P90x was way too long.  There are shorter programs now though that might be good.  I also like T25.

I know you don't NEED videos, but I find videos to be really helpful and motivating - I push myself more for some reason.
I'm also a big fan of beachbody (and Jillian).

It depends on your age, your space, and your joints.

I have and enjoy:
P90X (they are a little long for me right now)
PiYo (GREAT workout and awesome for my aging joints, no equipment required)
21 Day Fix (30 minutes and a nice variety of cardio, weights, yoga)

I haven't tried Insanity or T25 yet, but mostly because of the aging joints.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 12:12:25 PM »
I used to do "The Firm" dvds regularly, and they got me in great shape.  A mix of cardio and weights, some titles leaning more towards one or the other.  Can probably be bought on ebay cheaply.  Some of them feature a piece of equipment, but you can certainly make do with other stuff- hand weights, step stools, and chairs.

gluskap

• Stubble
    • Money Savvy Mommy
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 12:17:13 PM »
I'm really loving the Bikini Body Mommy Challenge.  Do a search on YouTube.  It's a 90 day challenge and the videos are free.  Each daily workout is about 20-30 minutes and it's great for toning and slimming.  I'm on day 30 so far and am seeing great results.  She's on version 3.0 so plenty of variety.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 12:28:46 PM »
I just bought Insanity Max 30.  It's freakin awesome.  I justify the $130 expense by comparing it to a gym membership cost.  I work from home, so I can do my workouts whenever I have 30+setup minutes available.

I also bought Insanity a while back -- it's also quite good, but the workouts take longer waste a lot of time, as typically warmup + stretching is 20 minutes, then you do the workout. 

swissgva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »
Try FitStar.com.  The free option is good.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 02:51:09 PM »
Lots of good options here.  Thanks all!  I wasn't even thinking about online options. My husband hooked up a Roku box to the tv, and I know I can get to YouTube through that.  I will have to see if I can figure out how to that.