Author Topic: Anyone read romance novels? Looking for beta readers.  (Read 14826 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Anyone read romance novels? Looking for beta readers.
« on: February 19, 2015, 10:30:14 AM »
My wife has been working on writing some for the past few months and we'd love to have some more readers take a look and give feedback before we "officially" (self) publish.

She's been working on the writing, and I've been working on figuring out all the technical aspects (making a website, creating a newsletter, working with people to design covers for the books, figuring out marketing, book formatting, etc. etc.)

I have touched base with the other MMM forum users who have posted about writing their own romance stuff for advice, but if there's anyone out there that enjoys reading them, we'd love to have some beta readers.  :)

Post here and/or PM me if you're interested!  :)

Or if you don't personally read them, but know someone who does (significant other, friend, family member, etc.), I'd be very much obliged if you PM'd me their email address (or PM'd me for mine to pass along to them).

EDIT: We are still looking for more people, but are no longer sending out the current books we have been - I need to cut it off so that we don't just perpetually send out the same books and keep getting feedback on that, but move on to the next books.  :)

But we are definitely still interested in more people who want to read them (especially as we anticipate some of the people being too busy, losing the inclination to read them, etc.), so if you want to beta read, please PM me and we can get you on the list to be sent out the next book (in about 2 weeks or so).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:49:23 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
Re: Anyone read romance novels? Looking for beta readers.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »
I came here hoping to read a romance novel written by Arebelspy. I'm disappointed. 

(But heck, I'll still read it.  What kind of feedback is she looking for?)

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:43:50 AM »
I'd be interested! I'm an avid reader (romance or otherwise) and an avid mistake-finder if she's worried about spelling and/or grammar. Only slightly kidding!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:46:18 AM »
PM'd you!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:49:34 AM »
Spam-self promotion

Mod, please take this down;)

Good luck with the publishing, let us know how it goes. I have an aquaintance that bought a book publishing business (he tried to get me to buy it first) and has done very well.  Another member was knocking a home run with romance novels, but I haven't seen any updates recently.     

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 12:16:37 PM »
Spam-self promotion  Mod, please take this down;)

lol.  It's not self promotion yet, there's nothing to promote!  Just asking if any Mustachians who are interested in these types of stories would be willing to do us a favor!  :)

There will be plenty of a little self promotion though once we publish - it may be worth getting banned for a week to get some Amazon reviews.  ;)

Good luck with the publishing, let us know how it goes. I have an aquaintance that bought a book publishing business (he tried to get me to buy it first) and has done very well.  Another member was knocking a home run with romance novels, but I haven't seen any updates recently.   

I will definitely be updating the forum on progress.

Thanks to those of you that have offered and PM'd me!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:19:09 PM »
I came here hoping to read a romance novel written by Arebelspy. I'm disappointed.

See but you probably want to read something good, not something awkward that makes you cringe.

Then again, that can be funny...

Anything and everything, from general "this sucked" to more specific "this scene was awkward" or "what if you did this" to very specific (typos).  Whatever you feel like doing as you read it.

No obligation, if I send you a book and you get busy and don't read it, or it just doesn't look interesting, or whatever, that's fine.    :)

I'd be interested! I'm an avid reader (romance or otherwise) and an avid mistake-finder if she's worried about spelling and/or grammar. Only slightly kidding!

Great, thanks!  Sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:22:33 PM by arebelspy »

Random Hangers

• Stubble
  • I'm Christine, nice to meetcha
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »
I'm in, if you're still looking for folks. I read romance novels regularly and have also proofread a few for a friend.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »
I'm in, if you're still looking for folks.

Definitely!  She has about 4-5 right now, so more people means we can spread some out and get feedback on multiple (and then anyone who likes them can read any or all of them that they want to).

Sent you a PM.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »

+1

I'm happy to read and comment, even if it means admitting I sometimes read these novels :)  I've done so for a friend on a few young adult fiction books she's written (commented on 4, the last 2 are getting published).  Just let me know the thickness of her skin (i.e. how much care should I take to write the comments delicately and should I be careful w/quantity and prioritize comments or just put down anything that occurs to me?)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 01:04:22 PM »
I am a romance reader unless it has vampires in which case I'll pass.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »
Just let me know the thickness of her skin (i.e. how much care should I take to write the comments delicately and should I be careful w/quantity and prioritize comments or just put down anything that occurs to me?)

Be as brutal as you'd like!  Honest feedback is the most helpful.

I am a romance reader unless it has vampires in which case I'll pass.

No vampires.

Sent you both PMs!  :)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 01:20:50 PM »
I'd be happy to take a read! I'm an avid reader and (not quite as avid) writer. One of these days I'll finally pick my pen (er... keyboard) back up and finish my own stories. Til then, happy to curl up and read :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »
I'd love to read it, and I love editing / proof reading (part of my day job) too :-) in fact I've been proof reading a friend's book lately and it's heaps of fun.

And then I'll totes write an amazon review once it's published.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 10:02:47 PM »

See but you probably want to read something good, not something awkward that makes you cringe.

Nope, I was actually serious :)

Little Nell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 10:11:42 PM »
These will be thrifty romances, I trust, in which the hero clasps the heroine to his manly chest and whispers money-saving hints into her ears. 

Maybe we should all write such a one jointly!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 10:17:17 PM »
These will be thrifty romances, I trust, in which the hero clasps the heroine to his manly chest and whispers money-saving hints into her ears. 

Maybe we should all write such a one jointly!

I laughed.  His DIY skills make her hot, I'm sure.  ;)

Little Nell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »
And his toooooools!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »
That's a big... stache you have there.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 11:55:25 PM »
Man looking at realestate ads online: "Mmm sexy address"
Woman: "What was that honey?"
Man: "I said that's a sexy dress your wearing"

dlawlor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 04:53:02 AM »
My librarian mom burns through 3-5 romance novels a week. I think she is going to run out. I would be happy to get her a copy to review.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 08:25:02 AM »
I enjoy reading love stories, so if it's not like an x rated kind of thing, nothing like 50 shades of suck, the I am in, I'm great at finding mistakes too

frugalamber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 08:35:44 AM »
I could love to read the romance novel as well.

renter4evah?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 09:03:42 AM »
I'd be happy to take a look. I should warn that I've been working in educational publishing for 8 years as an editor and copyeditor, though. This makes me picky and potentially inclined to mark up manuscripts like crazy! Has she been working with an editor at all?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
Sent PMs to everyone who's responded so far.  :)

raspberries

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »
Me too! I'd love to check it out. :)

ashfo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »
I read romance novels.  Can I get a copy? 

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »
I read everything I can get my hands on. I would love to read it and give feedback.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 11:39:36 AM »
I'm in, if you are still looking for beta's.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »
I'd be happy to read it too.  I gravitate more towards romantic thrillers/suspense but I've recently been reading young adult dystopian romances (I have teenaged nieces. They make recommendations and we talk about the books after we read them).

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2015, 06:55:46 PM »
I admit I am a romance junkie. I haven't figured how to send pm's on this site, but I would love to read it.

Misstachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2015, 07:23:35 PM »
Romance isn't my area, but I'm a fiction editor. If there's no pressure I'm happy to offer myself as a potential reader. I may not be able to read, depending on my volume of submissions & editing, but I will if I can.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
This side hustle makes me smile! Hope she's successful and you guys get a bit of diversified income, outside of real estate ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 08:32:31 AM »
This side hustle makes me smile! Hope she's successful and you guys get a bit of diversified income, outside of real estate ;-)

It's just a fun goof thing, but we'll see what happens.  We're enjoying learning the different skills it requires.  :)

I have sent a PM to everyone who has expressed interest!

Rachelocity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 08:41:45 AM »
Count me in!  Unless it's a Fifty Shades kind of book, or a supernatural romance.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 08:48:28 AM »

Anything and everything, from general "this sucked" to more specific "this scene was awkward" or "what if you did this" to very specific (typos).  Whatever you feel like doing as you read it.

No obligation, if I send you a book and you get busy and don't read it, or it just doesn't look interesting, or whatever, that's fine.    :)

Great, thanks!  Sent you a PM.

I'd love to beta test/read/proof "50 shades of Spy" if you are still looking for folks.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
Count me in!  Unless it's a Fifty Shades kind of book, or a supernatural romance.

It has some sex, but nothing graphic or explicit - it's nowhere close to erotica.  I don't think it will make you uncomfortable if you're okay with the typical romance novel.

I'd love to beta test/read/proof "50 shades of Spy" if you are still looking for folks.

I haven't read the 50 Shades book, but I did read a good Dave Barry summary of it yesterday:
http://time.com/3030375/dave-barry-50-shades-of-grey/

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2015, 09:00:22 AM »
All you editors helping out. Make sure you identify and eliminate any sign of consumerism, bad savings or investing ideas. It would be terrible to perpetuate an anti-mustachian way of romance. :)

This sounds like a fun project. Keep us informed how it goes. If it was any other topic I would be in, but I have no interest. Wife also said no.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »

It has some sex, but nothing graphic or explicit - it's nowhere close to erotica.  I don't think it will make you uncomfortable if you're okay with the typical romance novel.

U
I haven't read the 50 Shades book, but I did read a good Dave Barry summary of it yesterday:
http://time.com/3030375/dave-barry-50-shades-of-grey/

Dave Barry suffices for me too.  I liked this:
So why did I read it? I read it because, as a man with decades of experience in the field of not knowing what the hell women are thinking, I was hoping this book would give me some answers. Because a lot of women LOVED this book. And they didn’t just read it; they responded to it by developing erotic feelings— feelings so powerful that in some cases they wanted to have sex with their own husbands.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 12:11:14 PM »
You've got a massive response already but if you still want beta readers, I'm in =)

P.S. you guys have probably researched extensively already but Lyndsey Buroker wrote a bunch of blog posts about setting up an indie romance novel writing pseudonym from scratch over about 6 months. They might be relevant to your interests (she's very level headed about quantifying exactly what worked promotion-wise).

decembeir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »
If you still need more editors, I'd love to help out :)

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »
Sounds like you have the copy editing part covered. You mentioned self publishing, are you going to use Amazon? If so, I'd be happy to help you get the book converted to the correct format, add a TOC, format the cover, and other details. I've done this a couple times already.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2015, 03:37:34 PM »
P.S. you guys have probably researched extensively already but Lyndsey Buroker wrote a bunch of blog posts about setting up an indie romance novel writing pseudonym from scratch over about 6 months. They might be relevant to your interests (she's very level headed about quantifying exactly what worked promotion-wise).

I did not know that!  There's so much out there, that it's easy to miss great stuff like that. Thank you! 

We're very open to any and all suggestions!  :)

Sounds like you have the copy editing part covered. You mentioned self publishing, are you going to use Amazon? If so, I'd be happy to help you get the book converted to the correct format, add a TOC, format the cover, and other details. I've done this a couple times already.

Yup, using Amazon (going to do KDP Select to begin with).  I think I got the hang of that stuff - we have it all in Scrivener, and exporting from there is pretty easy (I followed some blog tutorials), but good to know you have some experience - I may shoot you some questions if I get stuck anywhere.  :)

Buttercup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Punching my student loan emergency in the face!
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2015, 09:12:24 PM »
I love reading romance novels! I would love to help review your wife's books if you are still looking for more feedback.

gluskap

• Stubble
    • Money Savvy Mommy
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 10:35:39 PM »
I used to be an avid romance novel reader but have cut back a lot with work and baby but I'd still love to read it if you need any more beta readers. I'm also interested in the whole process of self publishing so would love to hear more about that if you would like to share!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2015, 08:48:22 AM »
Sent PMs!

Also after today for anyone new signing up, I'm not going to be sending the current set of books out that I have been sending.  I need to cut it off so that we don't just perpetually send out the same books and keep getting feedback on that, but move on to the next books.  :)

But we are definitely still interested in more people who want to read them (especially as we anticipate some of the people being too busy, losing the inclination to read them, etc.), so if you want to beta read, please PM me and we can get you on the list to be sent out the next book (in about 2 weeks or so).

I'm also interested in the whole process of self publishing so would love to hear more about that if you would like to share!

We'll definitely be sharing more, and feel free to ask any questions, we're completely open about everything. Keep in mind that we know basically nothing, and are just doing lots of research and stumbling through it.  :)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2015, 06:04:14 AM »
I'll be a beta!

RobinAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »
I would love to read/proof/review!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2015, 12:49:25 AM »
Sent PMs.  :)

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2015, 01:16:14 AM »
What you guys still need readers!??
I will totally be a beta reader as well!
I thought this was done and over with!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!