Author Topic: Anyone own a Franchise? Should I buy one or take my SWR??  (Read 3435 times)

rolliefingers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone own a Franchise? Should I buy one or take my SWR??
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »
I am currently turning over the idea of buying a Dairy Queen or perhaps a Pet Supplies Plus.  My fear is that this may simply turn out to be "buying a job" with the $700k or so required.  I do not have the net profit numbers on either just yet, so this may be off base.  Conversely, I may seek to take a SWR of 3% or so on a portfolio of 1.3MM.  My FireCalc tells me that we are 98% safe with this approach, given our spending approach, for the next 50 years or so.  At 41 I guess I am still fearing being without work, as crazy as that sounds.

As I do my due diligence, I thought I would see if anyone here can weigh in on the direction I am pointing?  The corporate gig, while it pays well, has convinced me I need to run my own show and escape the world of conference calls and "thinking outside the box," while clearly selling one's soul inside a box.  Thanks in advance for any sage advice.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:50:32 AM by rolliefingers »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Anyone own a Franchise? Should I buy one or take my SWR??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 04:00:40 PM »
In that case, you are purchasing a job.

A business can be an investment, but it's not simply passive.

I'd look at NNN real estate before a franchise, but it really depends on the person and what they're trying to accomplish.

You should try the Get-A-Life tree (in Zelinski's books) to start thinking about what you may want to do with your time.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
If you have been successful enough to RE at 41, you are successful enough to consult if you want to stay busy and engaged. Don't tie yourself to a "purchased job."

smedleyb

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:22:29 PM »
I ran some preliminary numbers on a DQ/Orange Julius treat center (stand alone concept, on a busy commercial lot but subject to 4 seasons).  700K was about the number I came up with (land is paid off).   You're probably looking at some kind of strip mall DQ/OJ concept, correct? 

.22guy

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
I'm not a business person by any stretch of the imagination, but this sounds like a terrible idea to me.  Way too much possible downside: business fails, stress, having to be involved in a business every day or often.

Just my 2 cents, keep the change. :)

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:07:28 PM »
I have looked at a franchise or two, and the returns do not justify the concentrated risk, IMO.  I am turning 40 this year and have the same size portfolio.  I don't think I have quite enough money for full comfort, so we are planning more of an ESR than a full ER.  DW has developed a part time business that will bring in about 2k a month and I will find something to do (consulting, contract work, small business, etc.) that generates 15k or better.  I don't want the headaches and financial commitment of a franchise or anything else that requires a lot of capital.  If all else fails I can call up a temp agency and do whatever to make a few bucks.  If the next few years are reasonably kind, it won't be an issue.