Author Topic: Anyone move to Mexico for work?  (Read 1140 times)

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
Anyone move to Mexico for work?
« on: May 06, 2021, 11:30:33 AM »
I may have the opportunity to move to mexico for a project that could be a few years long. I would be coming from the USA. Anyone done this? How did it go? I can get by with my spanish skills but my family knows very little, i have a 3 and 5 y/o's. what about spouses? Are they still able to work remotely for a USA company? The job would likely be based out of the Puerto Vallarta area.  I can provide more detail if needed, i am just curious how this has gone for others

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: Anyone move to Mexico for work?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 01:55:04 PM »
The spouse's ability to work will depend on a number of factors, such as how remote work is compensated from the company and the actual visas you get.

The kids are at a perfect age to be exposed to another language. You will likely put them in a private school, as that is the done thing amongst the Mexican middle and upper classes in all but a handful of cities. But the costs may not be any more than school lists and fees that you get in the US. I knew one family that chose a school for good reasons, were happy with the costs, but still shocked when there was a school trip planned to Europe. For elementary students.

A lot of the success will depend on the spouse's attitude (which may be affected by whether or not they can work). Often in ex pat situations, the worker loves it and the spouse just doesn't find their groove, which will impact the children, as well. If both you and the spouse embrace the experience, the kids will likely follow suit, eventually. There is a large, active ex pat community in Puerto Vallarta, you can read their blogs and ask questions in their forums for local specifics.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »
The kids are at a perfect age to be exposed to another language. You will likely put them in a private school, as that is the done thing amongst the Mexican middle and upper classes in all but a handful of cities. But the costs may not be any more than school lists and fees that you get in the US. I knew one family that chose a school for good reasons, were happy with the costs, but still shocked when there was a school trip planned to Europe. For elementary students.

+1.   My wife is from Mexico and she completely agrees with this.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 05:41:03 PM »
I was in Mexico for a week for surgery and I would move there in a heartbeat.  Eat an avocado 🥑 for me!

sailinlight

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 05:53:58 PM »
I worked in Italy for two years with my family, kids 6 and 8. I couldn't imagine my wife also trying to find employment during that time, it was stressful enough while she was at home taking care of everything. If you're not great with the language everything is more complicated and stressful than you're used to, even just getting groceries. If your company is sponsoring you to go there, they should ensure your compensation is high enough that your wife doesn't have to work in my opinion. If that's the case, go for it, sounds great!

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 08:27:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies and recommendtations, i will check out the expat blogs