Author Topic: Anyone Living (or recently lived) in Jasper, AB  (Read 1382 times)

RidinTheAsama

• Stubble
Anyone Living (or recently lived) in Jasper, AB
« on: November 08, 2017, 04:37:29 PM »
Hi,
I'm interested to hear anything that would help in a decision to move to Jasper or not.  I have a potential job lined up.

My biggest concern is housing.  With the odd rules about housing in a National Park it seems like there are very few options and those that exist are expensive.

I'd also like to know anything you have to say about raising a family here.  We have young children, and while the incredible access to the outdoors available in Jasper is a huge positive point, I feel it's also important to have some other well-run and well-attended amenities/organizations.  I'm thinking sports, music, guides/scouts, anything to get involved with a community really.

Any info helps!  If you feel like sharing some info about your experiences that you want to be a bit more private than this please PM me.

Thanks!

highflyingstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anyone Living (or recently lived) in Jasper, AB
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 07:27:13 PM »
I'm not part of the Jasper community, instead the Banff/Canmore end of things. Yes the park rules changes the prices, but that's the fact of working in the national park system. Banff is atrociously priced, hands down. I'd imagine Jasper is similar. All I could recommend is looking into the town of Hinton, which is about as close as you get to being in the park, at non-park prices. It's a small, blue collar town which you'd find as more realisitc prices and people (family atmostphere, etc). If you can stomach the commute (just under an hour, might work depending on the job) it could help.

Jasper, like banff has many transients. Many young people from Australia, New Zealand, Britain, etc. on holiday work permits who attend to the tourism industry. The town itself is relatively very small, intimate. I can't speak to the locals who are permanent, long term, but if it's like the long terms in Banff, it's a tight nit group.
Either way, you'll find a difference in the community outside of the main tourist season (Victoria day to Labour day) but price wise (groceries, for example) won't change, unfortunately. An expensive, but breathtakingly beautiful place to live.

RidinTheAsama

• Stubble
Re: Anyone Living (or recently lived) in Jasper, AB
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:02:33 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts on this!  I thought about Hinton, but like you say I'm not sure I could stomach the commute...