Author Topic: Anyone Learn How to Ride A Bike as An Adult  (Read 3251 times)

NCintheDMV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone Learn How to Ride A Bike as An Adult
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »
So this is so embarrassing to say but I never learned how to ride a bike as a kid, even though my parents bought me one.  When I was young a kid in the neighborhood hit me with his when I feel down off my scooter and I have never learned to ride since.  I wish my parents would have made me learn now that I look back on it.  Anyway did anyone learn how to ride as an adult and if so how did you learn.  I am trying to see if they have adult bike riding class in the DMV.  I want to start out small by biking to the metro that way I don't have to pay for parking and then build my way up to biking to work. 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: Anyone Learn How to Ride A Bike as An Adult
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »
My boyfriend learned to ride a bike last summer, at age 25. He found some person on reddit who lived in the area and had an extra bike, and they went out to a big empty parking lot for a few hours. The person helped him balance while he got used to pedaling, and gradually he was able to stay on. After that, we just started going on practice rides around the area, and a few weeks later he was fine.

I would recommend picking up some bike gloves - he had quite a few wipeouts while learning.

Cyrano

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
I taught a friend to ride in a parking lot in the course of one afternoon. After that it's really just a matter of gaining confidence (you're more stable riding quickly than slowly) and gaining trust that motorists generally prefer not to murder you.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 05:31:09 PM »
I don't know how to ride a bike. I did as a kid, but forgot along the way (please don't bother telling me that's impossible. It's true).

Riding bikes doesn't make sense with my current housing/location, but when I move further out from the city centre the BF and I will buy bikes and he'll teach me to ride in an empty carpark or similar.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »
Depending on where you live, there may be adult bike classes.

Here in NYC:
http://www.bikenewyork.org/learn/adults/learn-to-ride/

Gggirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 08:28:07 PM »
The best place we found to learn was the elementary school track area.  The grass was beaten down from all the kids running on it that it didn't make it hard to ride on and was less forgiven than asphalt when you fell.  Wear jeans and long sleeve shirt.  Gloves would be great too.  As my kids gained confidence they would ride on the gravel track.  Have you asked a friend? 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!