Author Topic: Anyone know anything about West Linn Oregon  (Read 4544 times)

Shropskr

• Stubble
Anyone know anything about West Linn Oregon
« on: February 28, 2015, 10:36:14 AM »
It's one of the cities we are coincide ring moving to.
We are a family of four near FI.  Husband would like maybe one more job software development.  Kids are 7 gifted, 10 Aspergers. 

We're also considering Sellwood.  Prices for houses seem higher. 

Or maybe just up 205 into Vancouver.  Just barely.  Less bike friendly.

All three have good schools on paper anyway.

Anyone  able to assist us?

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Anyone know anything about West Linn Oregon
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 12:35:31 PM »
Where is the actual job? West Linn is more expensive than other Portland suburbs, but is very safe with excellent schools. It would probably be beneficial to live there since both of your kids probably need special programs. By far the best high school in the area.

Sellwood is cute. My favorite place to be in all of Portland during the summer is the riverfront park on the other side of the Sellwood bridge. That said, Portland schools are terrible, and Sellwood homes seem grossly overpriced.

Vancouver has a pretty good school system, but if your husband has to commute to the Portland area, it would be punishing. The Columbia River Crossing project had been defunded, so light rail isn't going to connect Vancouver and Portland any time soon. Not to mention Vancouver is a completely drab and charmless commuter town, in my opinion.

Had I stayed in Portland and had kids, I'd likely have wound up in the downtown Beaverton/Cedar Hills area. It's pretty walkable, easy access to light rail, and the Beaverton school district, while probably not as good as either West Linn or Vancouver, is still much better than Portland.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 08:01:38 PM »
I grew up in Wilsonville, OR which shares the school district with West-Linn (the West-Linn Wilsonville District) and can say that it is a very good school system, probably one of the best in the state. They also share a great library and parks and rec system. I would prefer to live in Wilsonville since I am not a big fan of the 205, but that would depend on where your husband will work.

I think the West-Linn area is the best of the three choices for sure. If you have any more specific questions about the area i will be happy to help.

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:44:01 AM »
Primarily I wanted to know about general friendliness to outsiders, walk ability, bike ability, how the neighbors interact with one another.

Where we are in Seattle it's more a wave and that's all anyone cares for and we've been here  ten years. We want more.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 12:36:27 PM »
There is a Gangster that lives there, Chael Sonnen.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »
While your husband is still working, you might consider that Washington has no income tax while Oregon's is about 9%. We calculated that even after accounting for WA's sales and vehicle taxes, we would still save $12k a year if we moved to Vancouver (YMMV, obviously). It is something we are considering.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 05:03:37 PM »
I would say that the people in West Linn are very friendly. I have lived in many different places since leaving there and feel they were some of the friendliest. There were many community events and conversations on the sidewalk.

P.S.

Dont worry too much about Chael Sonnen, learn a proper triangle choke and he will leave you alone.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 08:57:56 PM »
Following. Probably will be moving to the 'burbs next year, still deciding where.

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 10:05:51 PM »
We are almost FI.  If house in Seattle sells well and we buy for less well be ok.  He's not worked since December and isn't looking real hard. Our numbers are saying don't bother but he's not ready to retire.  Frugality and FIRE are my thing not his. ;)

Biggest drawback we can see to West Linn is no MAX line.  But a chance of a house with a view for reasonable amounts so trade offs.  In West Linn seems like you can get a Much nicer house for the money.  Than other areas of Portland.  Wonder why?

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 12:58:21 AM »
It's about 30 mins from downtown Portland, and there isn't much industry to speak of in West Linn... which probably accounts for a lot of that.

Keep in mind the Max line will soon run to the south side of Milwaukie, so it's a quick jaunt up Hwy 99E to the parking garage for the Max line. You can have a quick laugh at the goofy pipes-driven-in-the-ground-at-random-angles forest around the garage before you depart!

Phil_Moore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 06:59:22 AM »
P.S.
Dont worry too much about Chael Sonnen, learn a proper triangle choke and he will leave you alone.

Or wear a WADA jacket...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!