Author Topic: Anyone know about turning Receivers off?  (Read 5883 times)

GermanMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone know about turning Receivers off?
« on: February 26, 2013, 08:42:42 AM »
I know I am not supposed to watch TV, but I do...especially now in the winter time. I am trying to bring my electricity consumption down and want to put my TV and receiver on a strip that I can turn off. When I do turn it off, the receiver has to load each time. Has anyone tried this and encountered problems with it over time or is it OK to turn the receiver off?

madage

• Bristles
Re: Anyone know about turning Receivers off?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:58:16 AM »
I'm assuming by "receiver" you mean a box supplied by your cable/satellite company. If you can deal with the delay as it boots, definitely turn it off. Even if you cause a premature death, your TV provider (most likely!) owns the equipment and will replace it for "free". "Free" because you're probably paying a monthly fee to rent it from them.

GermanMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:08:03 AM »
Thanks, I think you are right. DirecTV would have to replace it and I don't feel guilty considering what I am paying them every month LOL. I feel more guilt having TV service at all. Once the contract is up, I will reevaluate and think about other options.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:11:31 AM »
Suggestion for your future: my family of four gets on just fine with an antenna and streaming-only Netflix ($8/mo). We actually have a cable box right now because an internet/cable bundle was cheaper than internet alone, but the cable box isn't even plugged-in.

GermanMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »
Thanks Madage. I often hear about using Netflix. I don't have Cable out here. I wonder what set up I would have too get to receive it?

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:58 AM »
How do you get your internet? As long as you have broadband (say 3 Mbps or more) you can stream Netflix if you sign up. Another option might be Amazon Instant Video, if you already purchase your Mustachian goods from amazon and utilize their Prime membership. There are all sorts of ways discussed in these forums to get streaming video on your TV, if you look around.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »
How do you get your internet? As long as you have broadband (say 3 Mbps or more) you can stream Netflix if you sign up. Another option might be Amazon Instant Video, if you already purchase your Mustachian goods from amazon and utilize their Prime membership. There are all sorts of ways discussed in these forums to get streaming video on your TV, if you look around.

I saw an "I don't have cable out here" .... That sounds rural.  Rural internet can sometimes be way under 3Mbps.

GermanMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »
I have decent internet speed (Satellite). It is expensive though at $50 a month. I just noticed the add on the bottom of this page...DirecTV...this is funny!

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
I'm not sure how rural you are, but the library in most towns is vastly underutilized. MMM is a big proponent for using them and I tend to agree. You can borrow DVDs as well as books and if your typical weekly journeys bring you close by, you'd be doing so at a minimal traveling expense. Inter-library loan is a magical thing to behold as well. Makes anything available in your entire library system, available to you at whichever location is most convenient. Check it out.

(I feel like LeVar Burton on Reading Rainbow when I get excited about libraries)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »
I have decent internet speed (Satellite). It is expensive though at $50 a month. I just noticed the add on the bottom of this page...DirecTV...this is funny!

The historical issue with most satellite internet (and correct me if I am wrong here) is "fair use policy".  The bandwidth is shared by all users, so if you are using too much, they smite you.  You can hit a limit where you have no more bandwidth for some period of time.  This makes them a little less than optimal for things like streaming video.

GermanMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »
Just an update. I had  to call DirecTV because my receiver was not working after I had turned the power strip back on this morning. Come to find out, there is a little card size box that needs to be on at all times, but the receivers themselves, the technician said, can be completely turned off by the power strip and it will not hurt anything.

frugal_engineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »
When I had DTV I would just unplug the receiver.  Since I was only watching football games at the time so the receiver was on 1 day a week I actually ended up saving about $10 per month on my electric bill.  Definitely a worthwhile endeavor.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 03:21:28 PM »
Just remember if your PVR is off nothing will record.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!