Author Topic: Anyone involved in Uber, Lyft etc to make extra cash?  (Read 2712 times)

Doaner19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone involved in Uber, Lyft etc to make extra cash?
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:20:47 AM »
I'm looking into Uber.

I have the extra time and was wondering if others have had experience in this area?

My concerns are obviously wear and tear on my car, but also protecting my assets.  What would be the best way to do this?

What are your thoughts?  What are some things you've done to make extra money? 

Would love to hear the feedback.

Thank you.

Thegoblinchief

Re: Anyone involved in Uber, Lyft etc to make extra cash?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:00 AM »
Driving for work is a special kind of hell, in my opinion.

What's your personality like? Outgoing? Obviously plenty of riders just want peace and quiet, but sometimes a memorably chatty taxi driver sticks in their memories and can net you good feedback or maybe an extra tip.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »
I've thought of doing this myself.  Upon researching it, what makes me very uncomfortable is the potential liability if you do not have commercial car insurance and the huge cost if you do.

theonethatgotaway

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 08:36:17 AM »
I've been using uber quite frequently.

Love the service it's so easy and each driver has been professional.

But, as for what you earn I've read it's about 10 an hour. There are posts online about this- see reddit.

Also, there are many more drivers on the roads nowadays compared to when it was first rolled out, so drivers have explained to me that pick ups are slower due to the increase (iie more supply)

As for insurance I have no idea. I've wondered myself riding in the cars, but for the most part I've been on short trips here and there.