Author Topic: Anyone in the Folsom area?  (Read 1808 times)

BayAreaFrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone in the Folsom area?
« on: April 14, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »
Anyone live in or around Folsom, California? Any opinions of the area?

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anyone in the Folsom area?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »
I live near there and like it. The river is pretty, cute downtown area, fun little zoo. Any particular questions?

BayAreaFrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 08:57:13 PM »
We’re thinking about leaving the Bay Area within the next couple years, looking for somewhere a bit more affordable and with good schools. Folsom, Granite Bay, and El Dorado Hills came up in my search and seem to fit the bill. I’m used to living in very diverse, liberal places though, so I worry a little that it might be too white and conservative for me.

We’re visiting in a few weeks, any things to do/see that are particularly representative of the area?

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »
I have lived in Folsom for 28 years and was raised in Los Altos.  When I moved to Folsom, it reminded me of Los Altos in the 50s and 60s.  A family town.

There are lots of activities for kids through the recreation department.  There is a city aquatic center, a small zoo and a great library, which is private but also part of the Sacramento library system. 

Since I move there, the town has grown from 22,000 to more than 77,000 people.  They have added a second high school after building a new one in 1999.  Lots of neighborhoods with small parks and close elementary schools. 

It is a pretty white town, but Intel has a campus here with more than 7,000 employees of which many are East Indian.  So there is diversity, just not terribly high percentage.  I am, not a conservative so don't really feel the town is conservative.  I guess you would have to check it out to see.  Lots of churches, the typical ones and multiple non denomination ones too. 

Folsom Lake is a great recreation area, check out the zoo, especially if you have kids.  The Aquatic center has multiple pools and I think a water slide or two. 

Nearby in Roseville is a large water slide, also one in Cal Expo in Sacramento, where the State fair is held. 

Since Folsom is so close to LOTS of towns, there is a lot of opportunity for sports, hobbies, etc here.  As a gardener, there are a lot of garden show all year long. Lots of quilt shows, Lake Tahoe is 1 1/2 hours away. Mountain towns close.

El Dorado Hills is more expense, maybe check out the water situation there.  I hear they have higher power and water bills. Granite Bay is more expensive but there are probably pockets of rural areas there.  I found Folsom had everything I needed and since the town has grown, we have all the shopping I need.  When I moved here there was no Home Depot or Lowes and only a couple grocery stores.  Now there is everything, two movie theaters...

Do you have any specific questions after what I said?

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 09:47:53 PM »
I forgot to mention there are miles and miles of bike/walking paths through Folsom.  Many neighborhoods have the bike trail right off some of their streets.  I often walk my dogs on them but there are usually parents with kids in strollers or on bikes, and lots of bicyclists. 

BayAreaFrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:16:10 AM »
Thanks birdie! That sounds wonderful! I’ll try not to worry too much about the political makeup, I’m sure there are plenty of like-minded people there, I’m just so used to living somewhere where nearly everyone I meet is like-minded, so it may be an adjustment.

EDH seems like it’s mostly developments (which my husband is ok with but I don’t like as much), and GB seems more suburban/rural, but Folsom seems like it might be the perfect middle ground. And more affordable, diverse, and liberal than EDH or GB, so it’s probably the sweet spot for us.