Author Topic: Anyone in the architectural field?  (Read 2061 times)

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
Anyone in the architectural field?
« on: June 21, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »
I am a soon-to-be graduate in architecture who is looking for some career advice.  I'm not comfortable getting into too many personal details on the public forum, but would love to speak with anyone willing to lend an ear and any advice they may have via pm.  Thank you!

okparallax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anyone in the architectural field?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 11:51:22 AM »
Just for fun, how is Architecture treating you?

chasingsnow

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 02:41:44 PM »
I'm an urban planner who studied planning and architecture. I currently work for a local government and my team has A LOT of architects on it. Might not be exactly what you are looking for but happy to chat if it is helpful

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 11:35:33 PM »
Oh wow, super necro, haha.  7 years later...

Architecture I have found, in general, is a pretty toxic industry overall.  Like a lot of professional careers, people who end up running firms do it beceause they like the work and the control, but they generally have zero business or management training.  The larger firms that do have more of that structure tend to pigeonhole since they have the volume of staff to gain efficiencies from specialization.  There's a lot of [client] money and politics on top of poor management resulting in crunches, but at the same time there's no such thing as an actual architectural emergency.

I have ended up adding some interior design credentials to my undergrad and fairly extensive architectural experience and do not ever see going back for a Masters to become registered.

I'm now working for government after my last job almost gave me a breakdown after several years there (almost half the longer term staff quit within a year) and a nearly exact posting for my qualifications came up which is extremely rare.  Bored out of my skull but at least I'm making almost double what I was and able to sleep these days.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 12:09:39 PM by tardis »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 11:27:10 AM »
Thanks for the update!