Author Topic: Anyone in Bend, Oregon?  (Read 5302 times)

julez916

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone in Bend, Oregon?
« on: August 06, 2015, 02:51:51 PM »
We are going to be traveling to Washington state with our seven month old daughter tomorrow, and are thinking about making a trek down to Bend to decide if it's some place we might want to move. We currently live in Boulder, CO, but are looking to move out of our affordable housing condo where we are surrounded by college kids that keep our kiddo awake at night. We're trying to decide whether we want to stay in Colorado (near husband's family) or move to a new state. Anyone have any insights? Any suggestions on fun mustachian things to do in Bend with a baby? Thanks so much!

BBC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anyone in Bend, Oregon?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:41:20 PM »
Bend is a lot like CO.  It is a city based on the outdoor activities provided by the mountains, rivers and desserts sounding the city.  Its filled with people from other places that already have money.  So besides retail, brewing, outdoors/hospitality and other services there isn't much else driving the economy. 

That said the surrounding area is stunning.     

PS - Its a solid 3 hour drive from Portland with no traffic. 

olliecjb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 07:21:29 PM »
Posting to follow. We live in Boulder too and looking at possibly moving to Bend. Visiting Bend next week actually.

OneDollarAtATime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »
Portlander here -- and I've made many trips to Bend over the years.

Bend is awesome for year-round outdoor activities, craft beers and has a great 'Oregon' vibe to it.  That said, I'm kind of biased because I've had more of the 'resort' type experience than the actual living experience.  Make sure you can distinguish between the two -- you may find that the resort areas are different than the downtown area / living in the area.

Veloter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 04:43:39 PM »
We moved to Bend about a year ago from So.California.  My husband retired but I am still working.   Bend is an amazing town with lots to do if you love the outdoors.  Great restaurants, the river and great weather.  That being said,  I would not move here without a job lined up.  The biggest employer is the hospital, then after that it is mostly retail and tourism related jobs.  The rental market is very tight and housing is a bit pricey.  If these things are not an issue, then you would love it.  Lots of young families and kid oriented activities.  Le me know if you have any questions! 

pennyhandlebar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »
I grew up in Portland OR, and after some moving around, live there again. I spent a lot of time in Bend while growing up, and my inlaws live there now. I agree with the positive things that people have said about Bend -- it is a great place to be if you like the outdoors, though there are enough people selling homes in high COL parts of California and moving to Bend that the real estate market is pretty overheated.

My biggest concern with Bend is the climate. The area is high desert, and -- though I haven't looked into it specifically -- I have my doubts that the water supply will support Bend's current rate of growth into the future, particularly as the climate gets dryer and hotter. Oregon is only wet west of the Cascades -- the east side (where Bend is) is dry now, and likely going to get dryer.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:31:07 PM by pennyhandlebar »

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 05:39:38 PM »
Bend is a lot like CO.  It is a city based on the outdoor activities provided by the mountains, rivers and desserts sounding the city.  Its filled with people from other places that already have money.  So besides retail, brewing, outdoors/hospitality and other services there isn't much else driving the economy. 

That said the surrounding area is stunning.     

PS - Its a solid 3 hour drive from Portland with no traffic.

Sounding desserts.....yum!!!

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 10:37:20 AM »
I live in Bend.  We moved here a little over 3 years ago and I love it.  It is a great place to raise a family and there is ALWAYS something to do (and typically very cheap or free).  If you can secure housing and employment (or work remotely/retire here) it is an excellent place to be.  Housing has really taken off here and the rental market is EXTREMELY tight, less than 1% vacancy.  Rents have gone up 100's of dollars between lease renewals for a lot of people recently (we don't do this to existing renters, but as an example we have a rental house very close to Drake Park and when our renter moved out because he bought a place, we listed it for $325 more per month and rented it out immediately, like I was overwhelmed with applications after 1 day on craigslist).  That said, there is quite a bit of housing that's still affordable but in less desirable areas of town (read: NOT the west side) plus our utility bills are incredibly cheap (at least compared to where we were in TX) as the weather is what I would consider ideal and it's easy to go more than 3/4 of the the year without using a/c or heat.  We were lucky and bought in 2012 before things really took off and we have 2 houses, plus part of our main house that we rent out as well.

Fun mustachian things to do in Bend with a baby include (but are not limited to) Juniper Park Swimming Pool, $6 a piece for out of district folks and the baby is likely free, there's a splash pad, some slides etc. 

Hiking with the baby in a backpack (our preferred weekend activity).  Deschutes River Trail is great and easy with kids.

You can float the river through the old mill and downtown with either your own float or rentals I'm not sure of the price but no more than $5-10 a piece, probably.  A local place usually has rentals available River Bend Park. 

Sunday afternoons have free summer concerts at Les Schwab Amphitheater at 2 pm.  Bring a blanket and food/booze in a cooler if you like. 

Our favorite outdoor kid parks are Columbia Park and Harmon Park, both overlook the river.

High Desert Museum is good for a little bit older kids.

Good luck!

julez916

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 03:27:19 PM »
Thank you! This is all very helpful. I didn't see the suggestions for things to do before we visited Bend, but most of what you all are saying has lined up with our impressions of the place. We went for a little hike along the river with baby in the backpack and it was beautiful. I don't think it's a realistic place for us to move, though, at this point in our journey. Eugene or Vancouver are looking more promising; I think we'd be able to find a home within our price range more easily, and they are both closer to my parents, which would mean less driving and possibly more free childcare. Thanks again for the input!

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 07:23:18 AM »
Our favorite restaurant is Brother Jons Public House.  It's larger portions and better price food than a lot of the breweries and more of a locals place.  Usually less crowded than the very popular with the tourists 10 Barrel that is right next door and better food, IMO and a better selection of beer since it has beer from all over the PNW.  They also have a little known super great breakfast they do Sunday's only during Football season starting at 8:30 am and a small outdoor patio.  There is a newer one downtown but we prefer the original one on Galveston that is in an old house. 

Bend Brewing Company has a local's night where all appetizers are 1/2 off and pints are $4 (I think, haven't been in a while) and the appetizers are big enough for a meal.  We usually go and each pick one each and share amongst the table.

There is an awesome food truck lot just off Galveston called "The Lot" that has covered heated tables and they have a good selection of beer on tap as well. 

If you can get ahold of a smart shopper magazine that's sent out to residents quarterly you can get good discounts to other local places in there a lot of times. 

I hope you enjoy Bend!

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 07:34:49 AM »
Oh and another hidden Gem where appearances can be deceiving is Palmer's Cafe.  It's tucked away by a sketchy looking motel off of Highway 20 but the food and service are both excellent and really inexpensive as the portions are HUGE.  Check out the Yelp reviews.

Gizsuat2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 11:24:53 AM »
Bend is great ... aside from Oregon's 10% income tax!