Author Topic: Anyone here live on Whidbey?  (Read 2393 times)

Frugal D

• Stubble
Anyone here live on Whidbey?
« on: August 31, 2016, 04:05:09 PM »
Considering the move there from Seattle and hoping for any feedback/advise/tips. Thanks.

tweezers

• Stubble
Re: Anyone here live on Whidbey?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 04:18:43 PM »
We live on Fidalgo Island, and know several people on Whidbey (Oak Harbor/Coupeville area).  Its lovely, although jets from the naval base can be LOUD.  I'm not familiar with south Whidbey.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »
Where on Whidbey? See below for a basic breakdown of the three main areas. Above all, be sure that you're ready to live on an island. Tourist season means long ferry waits, missing the last ferry means sleeping in a the ferry terminal parking lot. If you have an emergency, the ambulance gets priority boarding on the ferry. However, if your pet has an emergency that requires off island care, you will not get priority boarding. Island living is like small town living - some like it, some hate it. It's a beautiful place to live - beaches, forests, parks, etc.

South (Clinton, Langley, Freeland) = artsy, politically liberal, locally owned stores, very white and wealthy, but there are a fair number of folks finding creative way to piece together enough income to live there, ferry needed unless you have a private airplane/boat or can drive all the way to the north end of the island to cross the bridge

Central (Greenbank, Coupeville) = a bit of a cultural bridge between the north and south, has the island's hospital

North (Oak Harbor) = home of the Naval Air Station, more ethnically and economically diverse, less liberal, more chain stores and fast food places, bridge to the mainland

Frugal D

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »
The house we're looking at is on the coast near Oak Harbor. From every resource I an find online the location does not appear to be in the jet noise stream, but that is something I will be 100% sure of before pulling the trigger.

If we decided to make the move we would pay cash for the house and have $400k of investable assets left over. I guess I'm just afraid of the potential change. Will I regret giving up prime Seattle real estate?

Is this the best/right move for our soon-to-be-born son? How are the hospitals, doctors, dentists?

What is the most negative shocking/surprising thing you learned after moving there? 

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »
I didn't technically live in Oak Harbor, but I used to do a lot of work for the Navy, so I'd stay there five days a week and come home on the weekends.  Did that for a number of months.

Anyway, the main benefit of Whidbey is the natural beauty, so if that's your thing, then you all set.  If you like sea kayaking or sailing there is hardly a better place.  Also lots of nice parks, beach access, etc.  Shopping and dining options, not so much.  Especially in Oak Harbor.   

The jet noise problem is mostly north of town, but the Navy has a outlying landing field near Coupleville where they practice take offs and landings too.   

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!