Author Topic: Anyone Here Drive A Venza?  (Read 3350 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Anyone Here Drive A Venza?
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »
Hi  Mustachians,
I've asked for help on this topic before, but now we've narrowed our search down a bit. Hubby still wants me to get rid of my oil burnin' mini-van and I'm dragging my feet. Of course we will buy used and pay cash.

Background: I'm retired, he walks to work. We're not bike riders any more, but we walk everywhere we can. We're looking for a family car that's comfortable for long trips (we have rental property eight hours drive from here). Must fit five adults w/ luggage.  We want something that's a good cruiser and gets decent mileage, but not convinced that hybrids are worth the dough. I'm a huge Costco fan, so good capacity is also must. Sooooo, I'm finally considering a used Toyota Venza. Does anyone out there with a Mustachian mindset own one? I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks!

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anyone Here Drive A Venza?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:34:29 AM »
From a mustachian stand point it is a gas guzzler, a little better if you only get the 4 cylinder version.  I got the car when we had our first child and knew it was a mistake financially, but I chose to fight another battle like not getting a bigger place.

Now as far as the car goes, it a very good utility vehicle, lots of room ,the rear seats fold down so you can fit a couch, bed frame, ect.  It would be tight for 5 adults with luggage.  Unless everyone is around 130lbs and about 5'5".  It's a decent car but I think you can get one with less bells and whistles.  I think of it as a glorified station wagon.  Which I think you should get instead.  I'm think a Subaru Outback or even a old Honda Accord station wagon.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 02:42:54 PM »
I did a search and found this thread.  Do mustachians like their Venzas?  My Prius is still running well but due to needing to transport another adult who would benefit from a more upright entry, I’m starting to research.  I’m also considering a Mazda CX-5. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 03:26:59 PM »
OP here. We did buy the 2014 and we love it. We wanted a comfortable cruiser for long drives and a decent hauler. It's been great for both. We were excited to see Toyota re-introduce it as a hybrid, but it's quite a bit smaller, boo. Our current plan is to happily keep driving it for at least a few more years, then switch to electric. We'll see what the market brings.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 09:44:36 AM »
We just bought a new Venza. I went with the XLE trim with Softex package, which gave us everything my wife wanted in a daily driver.

They're in short supply. The one we bought had arrived at the dealer lot that day, and had 4 miles on the odometer. They had two others in stock (different trim levels) and both were gone a couple of days later.

I'm impressed with it after a week of driving. I've been researching cars for at least a year, and the Venza hit all the right marks.

This video shows an identical car to the one we got. Same color and options: https://youtu.be/7O6MKtyS9iU

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 03:40:41 AM »
Thanks Dave and Dicey!

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 11:35:17 AM »
I test drove one and really liked it....except I had a terrible reaction to Softex which Toyota is now using in their vehicles.  Within 15 minutes I get a severe headache. I tried other Toyota vehicles at other dealers and had the same issue. A friend of mine recently purchased a two year old Toyota and said he has to keep the windows open on long drives because of the chemical odor.  If you, or someone who rides with you, is sensitive to chemicals be sure to check this out.  I have not had that problem with Subarus or Hondas. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 09:13:39 AM »
Is that the foam padding or the seat covers?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 07:20:48 AM »

It's their leather substitute. The base (LE) model has part fabric, part Softex seat covers. The XLE has optional full Softex seat covers, and the Limited comes standard with Softex.

I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with Softex. Here's a Venza forum where you can take a look to see what people think - https://www.toyotanation.com/forums/venza-gen2-hybrid-2021.1083/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 07:46:18 AM by Dave1442397 »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 08:05:30 AM »

It's their leather substitute. The base (LE) model has part fabric, part Softex seat covers. The XLE has optional full Softex seat covers, and the Limited comes standard with Softex.

I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with Softex. Here's a Venza forum where you can take a look to see what people think - https://www.toyotanation.com/forums/venza-gen2-hybrid-2021.1083/
Thanks!

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »
There are some comments here, about Softex although not specifically about Venza:

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/wife-allergic-to-soft-tex-smell.1567178/

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 09:11:50 PM »
Apparently, I have the XLE model with leather seats. DH did the research and chose it. He does all the maintenance, too. I just drive it and put gas in it occasionally. Lucky me.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 01:28:59 PM »
I don't know much about it but from a guy who worked at a car factory I try to always get their highest run models that are highly refined for reliability.

Sienna, Camry, rav, Tacoma type stuff.     

I'm not sure the venza meets that.      Most of the issues I've seen with low run models occur around 140k miles and involve water penetration and odd body/ wear parts that aren't the same as other models. 

Ymmv - sounds like you got it and love it.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 02:49:31 PM »
I don't know much about it but from a guy who worked at a car factory I try to always get their highest run models that are highly refined for reliability.

Sienna, Camry, rav, Tacoma type stuff.     

I'm not sure the venza meets that.      Most of the issues I've seen with low run models occur around 140k miles and involve water penetration and odd body/ wear parts that aren't the same as other models. 

Ymmv - sounds like you got it and love it.

They sold 50,000 Venzas here this year, so it's pretty high volume. It's also known as the Harrier in other countries, and sells very well - https://www.motor1.com/news/434692/toyota-japan-more-venza-orders/

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 03:48:25 PM »
Wow im surprised its thats high.     It lacks compared to Rav 400k+ yearly and Camry 300k+ but is pretty close to the sienna at 70K yearly.     Not as niche as I thought.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2021, 04:04:09 PM »
Wow im surprised its thats high.     It lacks compared to Rav 400k+ yearly and Camry 300k+ but is pretty close to the sienna at 70K yearly.     Not as niche as I thought.
Toyota redesigned the Highlander and got rid of the Venza. They thought they could push the Venza fans into Highlanders. It happened to us at a dealership in PHX and then we read multiple reports of same, which cemented our decision to buy used. The plan failed to sway enough buyers, now the Venza is back. I'd venture to say the number sold is completely a function of the number produced. FWIW, my 2014 Venza XLE has <70,000 miles on it, so I expect it will last a good long time.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 06:46:08 AM »
It's funny you mention pushing people from venza to highlander.

They are currently doing that same push but from Camry to RAV4 to consolidate.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 10:40:39 AM »
Toyota redesigned the Highlander and got rid of the Venza. They thought they could push the Venza fans into Highlanders. It happened to us at a dealership in PHX and then we read multiple reports of same, which cemented our decision to buy used. The plan failed to sway enough buyers, now the Venza is back. I'd venture to say the number sold is completely a function of the number produced. FWIW, my 2014 Venza XLE has <70,000 miles on it, so I expect it will last a good long time.

I think the Venza is perfect, at least for us. We have no need for a Highlander-sized vehicle. If the Venza hadn't been available we might have gone for a RAV4 Hybrid or Prime, or even the Lexus UX 250h.

The old Venza was based on the Camry/RX platform and built in the US. The new one is the 4th generation Harrier, built on the TNGA-K platform, and made in Japan. It's a proven drivetrain, and I'd expect it to last a long time. By the time we even think about replacing it, battery tech should have advanced to the point where an EV will be a no-brainer.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2021, 11:38:56 AM »
I don’t own a Venza, but I used to work at a Toyota dealer and am familiar with it (at least the first gen).  I think the key part of your criteria is that this is not a commuter car, and therefore it’s less about getting from A to B as efficiently as possible and more about whatever you want it be be when using it for recreation.  The Venza is a fine vehicle for trips and recreational use if it fits your family well.  If you were commuting daily, I’d say go with a Prius, but a Venza is basically perfect for the weekend use/summer road trip crowd

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2021, 08:13:04 AM »
I don’t own a Venza, but I used to work at a Toyota dealer and am familiar with it (at least the first gen).  I think the key part of your criteria is that this is not a commuter car, and therefore it’s less about getting from A to B as efficiently as possible and more about whatever you want it be be when using it for recreation.  The Venza is a fine vehicle for trips and recreational use if it fits your family well.  If you were commuting daily, I’d say go with a Prius, but a Venza is basically perfect for the weekend use/summer road trip crowd

The current gen Venza is a hybrid, AWD - and gets 40 mpg. Absolutely a reasonable commuter vehicle, IMO.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2021, 08:33:08 AM »

The current gen Venza is a hybrid, AWD - and gets 40 mpg. Absolutely a reasonable commuter vehicle, IMO.

Yep, that’s not bad, not quite a Prius mpg, but awesome that it’s AWD