Author Topic: Anyone have experience with Miele vacuums?  (Read 7825 times)

supersudo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone have experience with Miele vacuums?
« on: September 24, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »
There are a few "big, necessary purchases" looming in my next few years, after having moved in with my SO a year ago. For the life of me, I never expected one of those "big purchases" to be a vacuum cleaner.

We moved into a new apartment about a month ago (with a better commute AND cheaper rent) and have now found ourselves dealing with carpeted living space for the first time since college. Additionally, we plan to adopt a dog over winter break this December. And I have allergies to dust mites, pet dander, pollen... I'm thinking getting a quality vacuum will be a good investment and spare me some of the possible allergy-related discomfort.

Miele canister vacuums are lauded all over the internet as having the best filtration and being the sturdiest, most worthwhile "investment" vacuums, ever. Being a mechanical engineer and a frugal person, I like buying things that have a good chance of lasting a lifetime. Even if we didn't go for an expensive vacuum, we'd still get A vacuum which would supposedly break sooner and be less effective at cleaning our carpet.

I found a Miele S8 (cat & dog) on Craigslist and haggled down to $600, $350 cheaper than the price new on Amazon.

Does anyone here have experience with Miele vacuums? Do you think I should pull the trigger on this deal?

carloco

• Stubble
Re: Anyone have experience with Miele vacuums?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:02:07 PM »
We recently bought a upright Miele vacuum.  I have previous experience with Miele products.  I found them well made and durable.  We had a Dirt devil vacuum for many years that was falling apart.  Anyway, I have been looking at Miele for a while a searching CL constantly.  Until, somehow, one was posted.  I bought a Jazz model for a cool $100.  that is the same a amount I was ready to spend on a Shark at Costco. 
Another place you may want to search is a local vacuum dealer.  They usually have old models or refurbished units for a fraction of the cost.  Also, they come up on Ebay all the time
Overall, I am happy with the purchase.  Mainly that it does its job a lot quieter and lighter than the Dirt Devil.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:59:00 PM by carloco »

Runny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 06:52:59 PM »
We've had ours for 10 years. It's very quiet, and easy to move around. We got ours from a Miele dealer and I can only recommend it. No regrets whatsoever.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »
Ditto to the last poster's experience.  Our miele is about eight years old, and has been reliable.  My partner also suffers from severe allergies, so this seemed a decent investment in his health.  No regrets. 

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 07:02:18 PM »
Similar positive experience here. I counter intuitively switched from a bag less actually and its been great for the last 6 years.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »
$600 is still a lot for a vacuum, tho!

Can you find another sturdy brand, or find a more low $ seller on craigs list?   I bought a Eureka (used) for $40 a few years ago, about 20% of retail price.     20% to 30% should be a resale price for vacuums, not many people want someone else's after all.

Longevity
I purchased a vacuum 20 years ago, that is still selling today for $450 new.   Once you purchase above $350 (new) price, without a lot of  "electronic controls", the vacuum should be very sturdy.  You should find many in your price range.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 07:56:44 PM »
I have one and absolutely love it.  I've had it for over 5 years and haven't had a single issue with it.  And I have 4 longhaired cats, so it's seen some heavy use.

I have the least expensive canister vacuum they make-the current version is called the Olympus and it's $349 (looks similar to mine, but I'm not sure if it's the exact same since mine is over 5 years old).  However, it's for hard floors and area rugs, so may not be the best for your needs. 

I think a Miele vacuum is well worth the money, particularly with your allergy issues and a carpeted house.

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »
Bought a near-new Kirby off CL 8 years ago for $250ish. No worse for wear since then. I've never needed to buy a belt yet, just replaced the bag as needed. It's an all-metal sucker, but the wife can haul it up and down the stairs fine. 

This thing will last until my grandkids croak.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 08:40:11 PM »
This Reddit AMA by a Vacuum Repair Technician is all you need to buying a Vacuum (he really likes Miele's as well). This guy knows his stuff! Note he has other incredibly useful threads as well.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:43:56 PM by Beric01 »

supersudo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 08:51:52 PM »
W/respect to vacuum repair stores: I went to a highly reviewed mom & pop vacuum service store in my neighborhood on Monday to do some research. I told them I was interested in getting a Miele, but I wasn't sure what I needed. Let's just say the wife handed me a Miele catalogue and said "we can order any of these for you if you like, they start at around $650!" To be fair, she recommended getting the power head with 5 heights for our mostly carpeted 1br apartment (not the light-up, highest-end one), but also said that for the canister itself, the S8 (higher-end) series would last longer. The S8 series seems to have a larger capacity, and that's why I was interested in it, in addition to the probable higher quality. I did not ask them if they had anything used in stock, I guess I'll call and ask tomorrow.

Tip on the retractable chord issue: the owner of the shop specifically mentioned that they get Miele vacuums in for service with their retractable chords damaged. They said the best thing to do is to guide the chord back in while it retracts. Use your hand to slow down the chord's retraction and make sure that it stays straight.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:53:26 PM by supersudo »

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:31 PM »
They're outstanding. Pull the trigger and buy.  Maintain it periodically and it'll last forever.

PBR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 07:09:00 PM »
From an Amazon comment: "The critical factor is to keep the bags changed frequently to not only limit the amount of particles that enter the motor but also to reduce the "stress" load of the motor itself. Also, another indicator of what is escaping the bag is to check the "pre-motor" filter (the little rectangular one that is held in place by the flip down plastic hinged holder). If you're using the upgraded HEPA filter for the exhaust filter, you can use the "exhaust" filter that comes with every box of replacement bags in place of the "pre-motor" filter-just cut it down to size. Make your own decision when to replace the HEPA filter based upon the condition of the filter rather than the suggestion from Miele."

I concur with this. I use the Air Clean exhaust filter in place of the pre-motor filter. I use the HEPA exhaust filter. This keeps the motor slightly cleaner and improves the life of the HEPA.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 07:13:02 PM »
I own a schmancy Miele upright.  It's a nice vacuum and I expect to own it a very long time.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 02:56:38 PM »
I don't know if they last a long time, as we bought ours only 16 years ago...