Author Topic: anyone have a recommendation for a new mattress?  (Read 5232 times)

living small

• Stubble
anyone have a recommendation for a new mattress?
« on: March 27, 2018, 05:29:49 AM »
My back has had enough!

I really dislike the mattress buying process. But darn it I need a new one.  I have lately become aware of a type of mattress that can be shipped in the mail (vacuum packed into a roll) and they seem a little less expensive. A few people I know have one and they seem satisfied with their purchases.
Any thoughts on this?

Anyone have a suggestion for an affordable, new, comfortable mattress that will last for the next 10 years?

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: anyone have a recommendation for a new mattress?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 06:10:05 AM »
I had to buy a mattress quickly after a move and got a queen size memory foam mattress (quatro) on Amazon for $550.  It comes in a box and is shrink wrapped.  My regular mattress in storage is a tempurpedic.  This mattress is just as good if not better and its a fraction of the price.  I like these mattresses because I dont have back issues with memory foam.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:29:34 AM »
I have bought both Kasper and Tuft and Needle. Both are great.

My son also has bought the inexpensive foam mattress from Amazon. He has no problems with it.

I will never buy an inner spring based mattress again. I will also never buy a bed which needs mattress spring box. A platform bed with a foam mattress is the way to go.

I will also never support the big mattress companies (Sealy etc) whose mode of operation is to bamboozle you by obfuscation!.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 06:33:18 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 06:41:36 AM »
Ours didn't come rolled up and vacuum sealed and isn't memory foam.  I had one for years and I'm just not a memory foam kind of gal... but it did come delivered to my home and they hauled away the old one.

We got this one in August:

https://www.saatvamattress.com/

And I have been incredibly happy with it.  My husband is a terrible sleeper and I don't notice him moving around.  We didn't get the box spring on their site - just got a cheaper one off Amazon - and it works fine.  Though you don't need one if you have a platform bed.

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 06:49:47 AM »
Bought a Nest Love and Sleep last year. Wife and I agree it's the best mattress we've had. We can get out of bed without waking the other person, which was not possible in our previous spring mattresses

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 07:44:33 AM »
Purple. We've had our for a few months now and love it. No more aches and pains, very comfortable, and makes it very difficult to get out of bed in the morning b/c we sleep so good.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 08:04:51 AM »

Me and wife had back pain issues due to long hours of sitting in desk job. When we started searching for mattress, i found that people spend insane amount for those feather touch feel and Sales people would say a lot of stories like - you spent 1/3 of your life, sleep is important, back is important.

Long story short, after trying many we found that none of memory foam or the fancy stuff is not required or going to help us.
We went with firm foam mattress from Ikea (i think it was around $500). Now they deliver, so you dont need to worry about transportation. I carried the rolled mattress in my Prius, it wasnt weighing ton when it was rolled.

Buying online - 50/50 of like/dislike. I got a firm memory foam mattress from wally for our guest room. Its good, but we agreed that our king size foam bed is firmer than this one which we liked.

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 08:18:57 AM »
I can always count on this forum. Damn, you guys all rock.

Just read the Frugalwoods article and they sound a lot like what I am looking for.

Currently searching amazon, as there are so, so many mattresses!

I will keep you posted on the results.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 08:24:53 AM »
Mattresses are a scam.  Your back will feel better sleeping on a thin pad on the floor.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 08:42:22 AM »
I'll go against the crowd — I have back problems and need a very hard mattress, so the foam options were not good for me (fortunately I was able to try a few friends' mattresses before buying). I went to a mainstream mattress store and got the very firmest inner-spring mattress they had, which was around $600-700 for a Queen.

I got some advice that for longevity, it's best to buy a very firm mattress and add a topper to soften it if needed. You can replace the topper if/when it wears out, for much less than the cost of a new mattress.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 08:53:04 AM »
Gotta say, we have a high-quality foam mattress. No idea what brand and too lazy to crawl out of bed to check. We bought it from a spendy neighbor via NextDoor*. One thing worth mentioning is they tend to sleep very hot. I am constantly kicking off all the covers during the night. TMI Alert - DH and I used to sleep snuggled up all night long. With this new mattress, it's too damn hot. It is otherwise comfortable, but we miss that. We're too frugal to get rid of it

Something to be aware of if you haven't slept on a foam mattress before.

*Spendy neighbor was moving to a smaller home in an even spendier area, so was downsizing mattress. It was fairly new and spotlessly clean, so no squick factor.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 09:44:12 AM »
I'll go against the crowd — I have back problems and need a very hard mattress, so the foam options were not good for me (fortunately I was able to try a few friends' mattresses before buying). I went to a mainstream mattress store and got the very firmest inner-spring mattress they had, which was around $600-700 for a Queen.

I got some advice that for longevity, it's best to buy a very firm mattress and add a topper to soften it if needed. You can replace the topper if/when it wears out, for much less than the cost of a new mattress.

I dont have back problems, but I bought our recent two new beds via phone,  planning to use this forumla: firm mattress, soft topper. It is lovely. And it was at the low end of mattresses, about $500 for mattress and box spring.

I hate shopping for most utilitarian things and just figured that a firm mattress was the thing I needed, and it is fine. Briefly some years ago after staying in a Hilton Hotel with their super cmfortsble beds, I went mattress shopping and I laid down on beds in the stores but coild not distinguish differences. That mehod of shopping didnt work for me.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »
Samsclub online.  12” Night Therapy Pressure Release Memory Foam Mattress.  About 400$ for a queen. Tons of reviews and you can return it for free. I tried another one and after about three months returned it for free, truck came and picked it up. 

Aldi sometimes has mattresses.  Got a queen last year for 200$. It’s more on the firm side but so far so good.  Excellent return policy there also. 

Haven’t tried Costco yet but I would because they are awesome and great return policy. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
Due to neck/back problems we bought a sleep number bed 13 years ago. They have a depreciating 20 year warranty. It was worth every penny. If you buy a king each person can adjust their own firmness.  You can also do that with a queen but people said they didn't like it. I am guessing you can't get far away enough from the other person to have 2 different settings.

rudged

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
Tempur-Pedic! You can buy it directly from the company to cut out the middleman. It comes with a  20 year warranty. When you consider how much time you spend sleeping as a percentage of your life, it is well worth the expense.

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 11:57:09 AM »
Mattresses are a scam.  Your back will feel better sleeping on a thin pad on the floor.

whoa. monastic isn't my style, lol.

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 12:39:47 PM »
lots of good info, the wife and I are currently looking for a new mattress, so good timing.

I like memory foam, but the wife thinks they are too hot (go figure, she's always the one that is cold).  We first tried a memory foam topper, and she couldn't do it.

We both have back issues, so I'm really curious what has helped folks with back pain.  I like the idea of firmer, but would love to order one online. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 06:00:48 PM »

whoa. monastic isn't my style, lol.

Everyone says that . . . until they try it for a couple weeks.  Soft mattresses cause back problems.  I had back issues for years before switching over.

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 07:39:37 PM »
I am sure that works for some GS.

I have definitely had my share  of doing that when I was younger and had no mattress, not sure its for me.

My back problems are whiplash from an accident (rear-ended by a phone-using driver) and repetitive motion occupational.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!