Author Topic: Anyone have a gas kitchen range without city natural gas?  (Read 41483 times)

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
Anyone have a gas kitchen range without city natural gas?
« on: January 29, 2016, 04:36:08 PM »
I need to acquire a new stove and I really really want a gas range but only have electric hookups at my house. Is it possible to connect a gas kitchen range to something like the propane tank that outdoor grills use? I think gas ranges look 100 times more classy than the electric ranges and I prefer them for their cooking properties and love playing with fire.

*UPDATE: I ended up purchasing an freestanding induction range on sale. Slightly more expensive than this gas idea would have been but sounds like fuel costs would probably make up the difference. Thanks for all the help
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:10:05 PM by comfyfutons »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Anyone have a gas kitchen range without city natural gas?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »
They make propane ranges that you can use. Typically tied to a large propane tank.  Like you see in people's yards. Incredibly inefficient use of your dollars though. For "classy". If you have trouble on electric. Gas isn't gonna fix it

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »
They make propane ranges that you can use. Typically tied to a large propane tank.  Like you see in people's yards. Incredibly inefficient use of your dollars though. For "classy". If you have trouble on electric. Gas isn't gonna fix it

I don't have trouble with electric... I can cook fine with electric and I've always had electric stoves but also always wanted a gas one.

I didn't think gas was very expensive... The stoves are the same price I thought gas/propane was more BTUs/$ than electric anyway?

is this not the case?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »
Not if you don't have natural gas at your house. Propane is expensive

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »
You need a special range to use propane. Cost of propane varies.
Or have a plumber run a natural gas line to your kitchen.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 05:32:56 PM »
You should look into induction cooktops/ranges. Apparently they are just as good as gas-instant temperature changes, cooks love them. You just can't use non ferrous cookware (aluminum) Propane coat seems to be mostly in the delivery. Disclaimer: I have never used induction (but I want one when we replace our stove, which we need to do soon)

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 05:43:26 PM »
You should look into induction cooktops/ranges. Apparently they are just as good as gas-instant temperature changes, cooks love them. You just can't use non ferrous cookware (aluminum) Propane coat seems to be mostly in the delivery. Disclaimer: I have never used induction (but I want one when we replace our stove, which we need to do soon)

induction ranges seem to bottom out at like $1500 which is a lot more than I was looking at... I guess I was not realizing the price of filling the propane tanks
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:45:25 PM by comfyfutons »

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 05:49:23 PM »
Propane is about $2.50 per gallon avg.  If you only used it for a range, a tank full would last a very long time.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 05:52:31 PM »
Propane is about $2.50 per gallon avg.  If you only used it for a range, a tank full would last a very long time.

That's what I was thinking... especially because there is a "service charge" of like $8/mo just to have gas connected/active

If I wanted a gas range as my only gas appliance then it would probably be cheaper to use propane vs pay $8/mo + gas usage for natural gas?
Or $1500 for induction
or just stick with boring old electric
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:54:17 PM by comfyfutons »

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 05:55:48 PM »
We have propane for our stove.  Propane costs are cheapest by large volume, so we pay a much higher price per unit than we would if we heated the house and water with propane, too.  We'd had a 100gal tank (from when the water heater was also on propane) which was more than a year's supply for stove only, but when our usage dropped the supplier swapped our tank to two smaller ones (100 lb) which required just over 1 fill per year.  Then they instituted a "haz mat" fee on each delivery "to cover rising fuel costs", and would always deliver during the times of year when prices were highest.  I think our last fill was ~$5/gal.

Another option we are considering is purchasing our own tank(s) and driving to the rez periodically to fill it at much better prices.  We've been told that transporting propane tanks is risky/illegal, especially the size that would be practical, so we've dithered.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:14:42 PM »
To weigh the costs, I would determine the install charges and tank charges.  It might be prohibitive to run a line for example into your house.

Tank rental for us is about $60 per year.  There are no minimums or other fees as another poster mentioned.  I'm sure this varies by locale so you might check that as well. 

If you call a local propane supplier, they can probably point you in the right direction on all of this (installer, etc).

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 07:18:35 PM »
We have a single hob induction cooktop alongside our natural gas range. It is the equivalent of 31,000 BTUs & can boil a stockpot of water in 6 minutes. The same pot of water takes 17 minutes on our natural gas burners rated at 17,000 BTU, which is very high for a residential burner. (Wolf tops out at 16,000 BTU.) Induction is flameless, making it very safe for children cooking, & it stops heating the second you remove the pot or turn it off. While the cooktop material gets warm from heat transfer from the pot, it never gets as hot as a conventional electric coil or smooth top, so the burn potential is much less. As for cookware, we got rid of all our aluminum cookware a long time ago & use stainless steel, cast iron, & enameled cast iron pots & pans.

We have a large propane tank at our lake house, which powers our cooktop, water heater, & outdoor grill. For cooking, propane is wimpy & nowhere near as powerful as natural gas. If/when we remodel, the cooktop will be replaced with a 4 hob induction cooktop. We'll probably have a single gas burner in case the power goes out, but induction has so much to offer.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 07:30:46 PM »
+1 for induction. I've had gas (propane tanks on a monthly refill contract so they never ran out), gas on town supply and now induction. And I'll never go back to gas again. Quicker, more controllable, safer, and we picked up a factory second induction cooktop - brand new with warranty - for $700 because the glass had the teeniest tiniest chip out of it in the back corner. Now it's installed you can't even see it.

green daisy

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 07:46:31 PM »
We have a propane gas range.  It is a regular natural gas range, but the installer had to modify it with a conversion kit.  Our house already had a propane range when we bought it and has propane for heat/hot water, so there was no additional cost there.  Propane is significantly more expensive than natural gas, but if it's just for the range, I don't think it would be too costly.  Although I'm not sure what the installation costs would be for the tank. 

We own our underground propane tank, so we can shop around for the lowest price rather than being locked into a contract. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 07:50:04 PM »

Not really true.  The real difference is the gas orifice.  Many ranges (dating back to the 30s) have adjustable orifices.  Those that don't likely have a simple part swap to change from natural gas to propane.  Propane is just more explosive, so you need less of it than NG.  (It also is heavier than air, so ... you have to be aware it can settle into the low spots of your appliances.)

Yes, propane is more expensive.  Some of us like cooking with gas.  Some of us cannot get natural gas. 

My suggestion is, of course, to go vintage.  Come to the dark side.  For a few hundred dollars you can get a really cool high end stove that cooks better than any stove you'll find today.  It even is designed to "Cook with the gas turned off" (i.e. on retained heat.)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »
For cooking, propane is wimpy & nowhere near as powerful as natural gas.

Propane is more expensive... but wimpy, it is not.  It is many times more powerful than natural gas.  You may have had a poorly designed stove.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 11:36:17 PM »
I really wasn't planning on renting a large tank or getting one professionally installed outside or anything since I would just run a stove a few times a week on it... For example I was wondering how long a stove would last on a standard size propane tank like people use for outdoor grills...

I maybe run a burner or two for 20 minitues twice per week

How many gallons of fuel would I really need to only refuel every few months

Also induction is really cool and I want it but I just need to decide if I want to spend that much... Makes me angry how you can buy a single induction burner for $100 but a cooktop with 4 burners is $1500 =(

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 11:46:05 PM »

Not really true.  The real difference is the gas orifice.  Many ranges (dating back to the 30s) have adjustable orifices.  Those that don't likely have a simple part swap to change from natural gas to propane.  Propane is just more explosive, so you need less of it than NG.  (It also is heavier than air, so ... you have to be aware it can settle into the low spots of your appliances.)

Yes, propane is more expensive.  Some of us like cooking with gas.  Some of us cannot get natural gas. 

My suggestion is, of course, to go vintage.  Come to the dark side.  For a few hundred dollars you can get a really cool high end stove that cooks better than any stove you'll find today.  It even is designed to "Cook with the gas turned off" (i.e. on retained heat.)

Beautiful stove spoke but not sure vintage matches my decour.

Yea I read most stoves can be converted with a valve or whatever but didn't know if they worked well

Doubleh

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 01:50:32 AM »
We live on a boat and use a propane cooker daily. We don't have anywhere to put a huge tank, we buy it in 13kg bottles. Not sure how that size translates into gallons, but I can lift one out of our gas tight locker with one hand. You can put this size in  a car to get swapped, and we pay gbp 25 or about USD 40 for a refill.one bottle lasts about 6 months even with daily use. When we had a gas heater we would get through a bottle every few days but cooking isn't too bad at all.

Let me know how it goes, I much prefer gas but our property in USA only has electric so I've wondered how practical it would be too switch to propane. Love that vintage cooker, I'm definitely getting one of those of we do now over to the states!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 03:40:06 AM »
Look on cl for induction cooktops. I found a brand new 1400 dollar one for 850

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 06:31:33 AM »
Not if you don't have natural gas at your house. Propane is expensive

Depends on how much you buy. For just cooking yes. We use it for heating too so we're on a contract for almost 1000 gallons which cuts the price. 

Not sure about stoves but for boilers/furnace any natural gas item can be converted to propane pretty cheap -they are very similar.

I grew up with a gas stove and propane tank outback (about 2 of those tall cylinder tanks a year) Worked great!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 07:42:13 AM »
I really wasn't planning on renting a large tank or getting one professionally installed outside or anything since I would just run a stove a few times a week on it... For example I was wondering how long a stove would last on a standard size propane tank like people use for outdoor grills...

How many gallons of fuel would I really need to only refuel every few months

I'm not sure how to convert to gallons used here...  I can tell you we have a 250gal tank that we fill a little less than twice a year... Let's say 1.8 times a year.  We use it mostly for water heater and for cooking (but lots of cooking).  Central heat is also propane, but we just don't run it much at all.  We mostly use a wood stove.

If I were to try it, I'd get one of the larger 40lb propane bottles (like you find on RVs).  DO NOT go to one of those Blue Rhino bottle swap places.  They charge about double the rate and only put 15lbs in their 20lb bottles.  Find a propane dealer and take the bottle to them for refill.

It is definitely doable.  It's just plumbing.  When I was restoring my stove, I had it set up in my shop on a propane bottle.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 10:15:32 PM »
I believe we are using about 65 gal a year for our stove.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 05:54:28 PM »
Hey, in my family's lake house we had a propane range/oven until a year or so ago. We used to rent tanks from a company like people are describing, but maybe ten years ago we switched to using the same tanks as we use for the grill. It worked pretty well, but we weren't cooking on the stove all that often. We would keep three or four tanks at the house - one for the grill, one for the stove, and a backup or two. I'm not sure how many tanks we went through in a summer, because the grill tanks and the stove tanks would all kind of blend together, and it's a fairly nonstandard kind of situation - often there would be no one there during the week and then there might be 15-20 people on the weekend.

You need to keep the tank outside of the house, which means it will be a pain in the ass to change if you run out of gas in the middle of a snowstorm or something (not an issue for us because the place I'm talking about was a non-winterized camp kind of place and no one was there in the winter) or just any kind of unpleasant weather. To avoid having that happen, you could be more proactive about filling the tank - change it early if you know there's a storm coming.

Anyway, we only kept the propane stove because we had trouble sourcing an electric stove small enough to fit in the kitchen. Nobody particularly liked it. But it wasn't terrible.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
Propane ranges are quite common in rural areas, we have one.  If the range is all you would be running on propane at your house I'd get a 100lb tank as a 20b gas grill tank won't last long.  A 100lb tank is something you can haul and handle yourself no trouble.    I think gas or propane is much better for cooking than electric.  I want to be able to see and adjust my flame. 

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 07:24:36 AM »
Propane ranges are quite common in rural areas, we have one.  If the range is all you would be running on propane at your house I'd get a 100lb tank as a 20b gas grill tank won't last long.  A 100lb tank is something you can haul and handle yourself no trouble.    I think gas or propane is much better for cooking than electric.  I want to be able to see and adjust my flame. 

The nice thing about the 20lb tank is that (at least where I am) you can exchange them or get them filled at a lot of grocery stores, gas stations, etc. I don't see as many places with the 100lb tanks. But yeah, 20lbs is not a lot of propane. My grandparents had a propane range and propane heat at their rural home and they had a permanent tank out next to the garage, which I guess got filled by someone with a truck full of propane.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 08:47:05 AM »
I see lots of folks set two 100lb tanks outdoors on a concrete pad, then run propane into their appliances.   They have a valve that determines which tank it runs off of.   When one runs dry, they switch the valve and run off the other.  This buys time to haul the tank to propane dealer and get it filled without running out of propane.   People do the same thing with campers and the 20lb tanks.

I'd stay away from the 20lb tanks, they just won't last long enough on an appliance that gets used as frequently as your kitchen range.  It will be a hassle.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »
I have been using the 20 lb tanks since 2004 for my Range. I use one every 3-4 months.

I have a "duel fuel" range which uses electric for the oven and gas for the range top only. Kind of the "best of both worlds" because you can get even convection heat in your oven but quick high heat and move quickly to simmer on range.

I HATE electric ranges which is why I went this route.

A lot of people think the benefit of Gas/propane is the ability to get hot quickly for boiling and such. That is nice but the best part is that you can go quickly from full heat to simmer. In electric you either have to have another burner turned on really low to move stuff too or risk burning stuff when you cant go down quickly.

Ranges are actually pretty efficient. I use about the same amount of tanks per year in my grill which I use a fraction of the time.

One piece of advice if you go the 20 lb tank route filling them gives you more bang for your buck than exchanging. blue Rhino (the ones Lowes/Depot have) are only filled to 15 pounds for "transportation safety" (other words to rip you off). Most fill places give you 18-19 pounds for same money as exchange. I do still do the exchange maybe every 3 years just to get fresh/clean tanks.

I'm also a contractor and have installed lots of ranges for people to use on Propane. as a previous poster mentioned the only difference from NG is typically the orifices. New ranges usually come set up for Natural gas but include a little Zip lock bag with the replacement orifices. If you go used or something you may not get them form the seller and have to find on your own.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 04:51:43 PM »

The nice thing about the 20lb tank is that (at least where I am) you can exchange them or get them filled at a lot of grocery stores, gas stations, etc. I don't see as many places with the 100lb tanks. But yeah, 20lbs is not a lot of propane. My grandparents had a propane range and propane heat at their rural home and they had a permanent tank out next to the garage, which I guess got filled by someone with a truck full of propane.

Don't do propane exchanges.

The propane exchanges are generally twice the going rate of propane.  In addition to that, most of the exchanges fill the tanks only 75% of capacity (making the "fill" seem *almost* the price of going to a place that actually fills them full).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 06:42:05 AM »

The propane exchanges are generally twice the going rate of propane.  In addition to that, most of the exchanges fill the tanks only 75% of capacity (making the "fill" seem *almost* the price of going to a place that actually fills them full).

+1

In my experience, a 15lb propane exchange is $18-22 and a 20lb fill is $14-15.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 08:09:01 AM »

+1

In my experience, a 15lb propane exchange is $18-22 and a 20lb fill is $14-15.

It's $12 here if you pay cash -- for a full 20lb.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 09:01:27 AM »

I have one of those! The dark side is very satisfying.

Mine's a Model D - more mid century mod than the Model Cs. Very even heat on the burners, more powerful than a $500 stove that you can get today, and only cost $200 including paying a couple of men with a truck to move it for me (pregnant women should not move 400 pound stoves!).

BUT - we have natural gas at our house. I'd look more closely at induction ranges. Maybe a 4 top built in range and a separate, less expensive oven.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 09:15:09 AM »

Just so I am clear you want to go special unicorn on a propane stove that you are going to use twice a week for 40mins????? Sorry, but that is crazy talk.

Just buy an electric stove and plug it in. Get on with more important things in your life.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 09:56:58 AM »
I hate electric stoves so I have a gas stove hooked up to a large propane tank.  My bad ass husband did the conversion for the stove from natural gas to propane. The propane costs me about $75 a year with no tank rental fee. I do a ton of cooking, baking and canning and my stove gets quite a workout. I don't think that less than $7 a month is extravagant for the amount I cook. I can't imagine that an electric stove would be that much cheaper.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 12:09:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up deciding to give up on the gas and ended up buying a freestanding induction range online. It was a little more than 20% less than I could grab it at the big box stores so no sweet craigslist deal, but I didn't see anything on there over the past couple weeks.

It seemed like it would become a pain to deal with the propane but I still wanted a better cooking experience than electric can offer so hopefully I will enjoy this purchase for years to come.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!