Author Topic: Anyone have a 'Purple' mattress?  (Read 18479 times)

MrGville

• Stubble
Anyone have a 'Purple' mattress?
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:07:24 PM »
Been seeing a lot of ads lately for a mattress company called 'Purple.'  Looked at their website and some reviews, and seems like a very quality mattress.  However, they cost about $1k for a queen size, and I know i can get a decent mattress for less that that.  Anyone have one of these beds, worth it?  You know what they say...you spend 1/3 of your life sleeping, might as well have a nice bed!

RWD

• Walrus Stache

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Anyone have a 'Purple' mattress?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »
I seriously considered one but did not buy because of the issue listed above. I did not do much research into it, but the idea of it was enough to turn me off of spending $1k+.

I ended up with a Tuft and Needle (had it for over a year now) which I truly love.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
We have one.  Our mattress flooded during Hurricane Harvey so we decided to get a BIB and we had heard good things about Purple (plus they had very effective advertising).  My little brother had bought one a few months earlier and loved it so we decided to buy one.  The company was pretty cool, gave a hurricane discount, free sheets, and a free seat cushion.
The biggest difference between Purple and the other BIB brand is the polymer grid on top of the foam.  Our roommate had a Tuft and Needle but I found it a little too firm.  I usually find the BIB mattress too firm but with the grid on top, it adds just the right amount of cushion and bounce.  We have had the mattress about 2.5 months now and I am sleeping much better than I was on our $2400 beautyrest hybrid pillowtop we had before.
We saw Honest Mattress Reviews video about the mysterious powder so we just vacuumed the mattress before sleeping on it.  Haven't had any issues or noticed anything and I have pretty bad allergies. The company definitely isn't handling that issue well and have probably lost more business in response to their lawsuit then they would have if they would have just been transparent. YMMV but we are happy with our purchase.

MrGville

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 12:47:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing that link.  Lots of information in there....is the gist of it that the powder is potentially toxic?

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 01:30:15 PM »
We debated between Purple, Tuft & Needle, and Loom & Leaf... and ended up getting a Loom & Leaf. We've only had it for a week, but so far we like it. I wouldn't say we looooooove it, but maybe we need to break it in more.

We got the "Relaxed Firm" model and it is still quite firm! It provides good support and it sleeps "cool", which is nice after a decade with a "hot" Dormia foam mattress.

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 01:31:12 PM »
We have a Tuft and Needle and I enjoy it.  It is firm but has some give as well. 

MrGville

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 01:32:47 PM »
I've never heard of Tuft & Needle, but I will check it out since its been mentioned numerous times. 

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 09:08:47 PM »
Off topic, but we bought a $1k conventional mattress a couple years ago and hate it. It's like two sagging hammocks holding hands.

I wonder what hotels buy? I always sleep better in crappy hotel rooms than I do at home.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 09:30:21 PM »
We debated between Purple, Tuft & Needle, and Loom & Leaf... and ended up getting a Loom & Leaf. We've only had it for a week, but so far we like it. I wouldn't say we looooooove it, but maybe we need to break it in more.

We got the "Relaxed Firm" model and it is still quite firm! It provides good support and it sleeps "cool", which is nice after a decade with a "hot" Dormia foam mattress.

We’ve had our Loom & Leaf Relaxed Firm for two years this week and it is, by far, the best bed we’ve ever slept on. I recall that it took a few weeks to get totally comfortable and now when we’re traveling, we cannot wait to get home to our own bed. Hopefully you’ll have the same experience.

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 09:38:20 AM »
my friends had the purple mattress and loved it.   I did buy the purple pillow and while I don't love it, i don't hate it either. took a few nights to adjust to sleeping on a flatter pillow but otherwise I don't have any feelings on it either way.

That being said, our friends did let us lay down and stuff on their purple and it seems pretty good. So we are planning on getting one when we upgrade from our queen to a king bed in a few months. The company will refund the money if you don't like it and I think you get 100 days to "try it out".  One downside is they won't take it back..so you have to find somewhere to donate it to and get a receipt to prove that you not longer have it in  your possession.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »
I bought my firm spring mattress (we don't like foam) @ Ikea for $400 (King size) and couldn't be happier. I almost bought the Purple. But when I saw the price @ Ikea, I couldn't pass it up. They have a 1 year warranty if you don't like it. I took a gamble and it paid off.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »
I posted this link in the lusting thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/69xqxh/reviewer_asks_question_about_product_safety_and/dhbhqg5/

I'm not here to rail either for or against any particular mattress. 

However, the video above actually resulted in a lawsuit by the Purple Mattress people.  The court agreed with the plaintiff (Purple Mattress) that the Honest Mattress Reviews website and videos were set up by a direct competitor for the express purpose of creating confusion and steering people away from Purple to their own product.  The court has required Honest Mattress Reviews to put a disclaimer on the top of their website:  https://www.honestmattressreviews.com/

Anyone curious about the lawsuit should check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Mb0C77x4A

Again, Purple may or may not be a worthwhile mattress for you, I don't care.  I just hate that it's actually necessary to do research on your research to verify your purchases these days.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 09:07:26 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/69xqxh/reviewer_asks_question_about_product_safety_and/dhbhqg5/

However, the video above actually resulted in a lawsuit by the Purple Mattress people.  The court agreed with the plaintiff (Purple Mattress) that the Honest Mattress Reviews website and videos were set up by a direct competitor for the express purpose of creating confusion and steering people away from Purple to their own product.  The court has required Honest Mattress Reviews to put a disclaimer on the top of their website:  https://www.honestmattressreviews.com/

Anyone curious about the lawsuit should check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Mb0C77x4A

Again, Purple may or may not be a worthwhile mattress for you, I don't care.  I just hate that it's actually necessary to do research on your research to verify your purchases these days.
Dang.  I did feel like he was making a big fuss over not a big issue and was surprised that purple responded with a huge lawsuit.  I guess they had a good reason to after all.  Definitely not a good way to gain credibility as a unbiased, trusted mattress reviewer.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »

Dang.  I did feel like he was making a big fuss over not a big issue and was surprised that purple responded with a huge lawsuit.  I guess they had a good reason to after all.  Definitely not a good way to gain credibility as a unbiased, trusted mattress reviewer.

The comment I linked to is not the person who was sued. It's discussing issues that still have not been resolved in the aftermath of the lawsuit.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 10:30:06 AM »
...  I did buy the purple pillow and while I don't love it, i don't hate it either. took a few nights to adjust to sleeping on a flatter pillow ...
Why not put a towel in the pillow case too to un-flatten it?
When I camped (yrs ago) I put cloths in a pillow case and used it as my pillow.  Started with clean cloths, progressed to dirty (but not nasty dirty cloths).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 10:41:14 AM »
I bought my firm spring mattress (we don't like foam) @ Ikea for $400 (King size) and couldn't be happier. I almost bought the Purple. But when I saw the price @ Ikea, I couldn't pass it up. They have a 1 year warranty if you don't like it. I took a gamble and it paid off.

We have an Ikea latex mattress for a similar price. I love sleeping on it. In other shops it costs > 100% more.
Only downside of Ikea is that the size is standard and max 2 meters long. My DH needs a bit longer. We cut of a piece from our old mattress and put the new mattress pluss the extra  piece inside the cover of the old mattress. That works.