Author Topic: Anyone go to Planet Fitness?  (Read 20915 times)

Left

• Handlebar Stache
Anyone go to Planet Fitness?
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »
I know it's a monthly charge but I'm thinking about joining the place. I can't ride my bike to work, but planet fitness is about 4 miles from house so once I'm in better shape I can ride there as well. So far my riding distance is only about 1-2 miles before I tire/get bored (I ride without a destination and go in a straight road until I get bored, then I turn around and back home).

I know I should go for the $10/month instead of the $25/month black membership but I'm leaning to the black one because I'd like to use the massage bed too. If I do get the membership, I'd aim to go at least every 3rd day (2-3 times a week) for well 30-60 minutes. Not a long time, but a lot better than the zero I do now. I'm debating if I want to spend the extra $15/month for the benefit of a message chair/bed >.>. It's probably not worth it but I'm thinking it might be a "treat" that makes me want to go more often. And I can go to the one closer to work as well which I can't on the $10/month membership.

I "might" have a free $10/month gym money from work. I remember being told this when I got hired, but I didn't go to the gym then and forgot about it. I'll talk to HR later to see if I can get it. So I'm either at a $0 or $15/month cost. Free is always better, and if I never go, I don't lose money. But if I go, and want to relax on the chair/bed, I wouldn't be able to :(. I may join the $10/month for a month to try out the gym minus the massage just to see how much I like the place.

Anyways, does anyone else use planet fitness, and which membership did you go for?

side comment: I like the 12 minute and 30 minute workout plan there which is why I'm considering the place, and why I never went to gyms before. I never knew what I was doing and went from one machine to the other depending on which was free at the time. Since I never had a real workout plan in mind, it wasn't very effective and I got bored. I'm hoping that the set plan here would give me some kind of direction to start a base workout on.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anyone go to Planet Fitness?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »
Just don't make any noise or wear any revealing clothing or get into too good of shape. The fatties over at planet fitness hate that. The staff give out free pizza to keep the fatties fat.

MOD NOTE: Comments like the above should be backed up with facts. Please watch your tone and be considerate.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:28:00 AM by swick »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:27:57 PM »
Most gyms will give you several days or a week for free to try it out without commitment.

Ask for a 1-week free trial. Take the orientation tour (ie - where stuff is). Ask lots of questions about how to do stuff. Go there at least 3 times in your free week, at least 180 minutes total, with at least 90 minutes being actual exercise. Try out the massage thingamajig and whatever other relaxation stuff they have in the other 90 minutes. Then report back here.

Personally, I'm a big fan of barbells (squat, overhead press, deadlift in one session alternating with squat, bench press, row in the next session) - but Planet Fitness is not a barbell type of gym.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »
I checked it out today, found out they built a new one near home which is what prompted the thread. They didn't have a trial period :( I asked. And the $10/month option doesn't include the massage bed and they won't let me just pay to use it either. My sister likes it in New York, which in turn makes me consider it might be nice as well.

I don't mind not having free weights, I have a 40 pound barbell set at home. I can't deadlift/bench press, well I can but I have a heart murmur (still there after surgery as a kid) which causes a leaky valve so I pump less blood (CHF); so doctor doesn't want me to lift over 50 pounds over my head on a continuous basis and restricts me from doing a lot of anaerobic exercise. The squat machine there seems okay to me, seems functional anyways since I don't know how else to judge it. I want to do mostly cardio/lose weight anyways since my heart's ef is in the 30-40% range so I have to watch the stress I put on it. And yes, I'm being complainy pants with it, but I still put in some effort of 30-60 minutes each day with bike riding/walking to keep heart somewhat active. But I haven't pushed myself hard enough to lose weight :(

I'm not going to wear anything revealing, and the only noises I'll make are heavy breathing like I'm dying and maybe thump when I hit the ground passed out (which happens when my heart can't keep up blood supply, I know when to stop though which means I don't like peer pressure gyms like crossfit that push for one more). And I didn't really see many fatties when I went to look today. Sure they aren't all in shape but most are in decent shape like any other family gyms :S. I'm not sure why you made that comment. I wasn't expecting a body building gym.

After I hit up the HR later this week to find out if I can indeed get the $10 gym money, I'll probably sign up for the $10/month membership. I'll forego the massage to see if I like the workout program since that's the main reason I'd be joining. If I like it, I'll reconsider the massage, maybe I'll be able to talk the staff into letting me try it since I'm sure they want more people paying the premium.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:21:37 PM by eyem »

surfhb

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »
Just don't make any noise or wear any revealing clothing or get into too good of shape. The fatties over at planet fitness hate that. The staff give out free pizza to keep the fatties fat.

Yeah....isn't this the gym who sets up shop in poorer areas gives out free pizza and bagels?   brilliant!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:41:07 PM by surfhb »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:20:24 AM »
One thing I will say about Planet Fitness is that it's easy to quit.  You walk in, say "I'd like to cancel my membership please." and they say "OK.  You can still use your membership until the next payment would go through."  Most gyms are *not* that easy.

purplepants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journey - Purplepants' Journey From The 7th Circle of Hell
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:55:11 AM »
I  was a member of the PF near me a number of years ago.

It's definitely more of a family-oriented gym (I guess not being a meathead makes you a fatty).  Ours had a couple of sets of free weights, and a strict "No Lunkhead" policy complete with a Lunkhead Alarm.  If someone was being overly douch-ey (hogging the weights, doing a lot of loud grunting, intimidating or belittling people with necks), you could hit the silent Lunkhead Alarm and the staff would come tell the person to be less of an ass.

I had the basic $10 membership - no massage table at my location, the $25 membership allowed you to use the tanning booth.  I would try to visit a couple of times and see if the massage table is actually something you'd be able to use, or is it always in use when you stop by?

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 09:38:04 AM »
One thing I will say about Planet Fitness is that it's easy to quit.  You walk in, say "I'd like to cancel my membership please." and they say "OK.  You can still use your membership until the next payment would go through."  Most gyms are *not* that easy.

As long as you're out of your contract...

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
We're going to be joining the one less than a mile from our house in a week or so (didn't cancel the much more expensive old gym's membership early enough so are still using it this month). It's got far less in the way of facilities than the current gym but will be about 1/4 of the cost for both of us and it SO close to the house that it will be much easier to simply stop there on the way home for a workout. It's also in the same shopping center as our grocery store, so we'll go by it a LOT and will not be so easy to put out of mind.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 09:58:24 AM »

As long as you're out of your contract...
The one I was at did not have a contract.  Although thinking back, that may have been some promotion.  Either way, my previous gym had been a  oh-we-don't-do-that-here send-a-letter-certified-mail-and-maybe-we'll-cancel-your-membership-within-two-months deal, a bit more shady/shitty.

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »
Get the $10 membership. I had the black card for a while and used the tanning beds a few times before my wedding, but once you see enough gross sweaty/smelly people sitting in the massage chairs, you won't want to use them anyway, trust me. I ended up downgrading to the $10 membership and it was plenty. Treat yourself to a hot shower there after your workout instead of the massage chair, and you can even save on your water bill! Plus you will avoid cooties! (As long as you bring shower shoes 😊) If you want a gym, PF is the best and cheapest option IMO. I wish they had them where we moved to!!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 10:55:46 AM »

MOD NOTE: Comments like the above should be backed up with facts. Please watch your tone and be considerate.

They are building a new PF near my house as well. I normally like real gyms, but was considering checking it out just because I could walk there in a few minutes. It's not open yet, but I'll swing by once it's completed and check it out.

Mod, above poster was correct though - PF does have a lot of weird rules against actually working out too hard. They've made the papers several times for asking people to change clothes or cover up and the article will show the person in what I consider normal gym clothes. And it is really weird to me that a gym offers free pizza... I understand the marketing point of it, but why not free protein shakes or even a protein bar... 

Anyhow - let us know how you like it and hoping more people chime in. I'm hesitant to join, but anxious to check it out.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »
Wow lots of people posting now after I slept. I'll get the $10 membership once HR gives me the gym money :D why let it go?

I won't use the tanning beds, no need to darken skin. I'm already a nice bronze color due to asian ethnicity. The massage bed/chair seem to be free when I went. And I work nights so I'd be going at 8-9am when most people are working. My concern is that I'd fall asleep on it if I lay down after being tired from workout. I don't mind cooties, I work in a medical lab, I probably have more cooties then the rest of them combined :D.

out of curiosity since I haven't been to many "gyms" but what does PF lack that other "real" gyms have? I mean I don't see a running track, basketball or pool but what else? Someone mentioned the free weights and bench bar but doesn't the machines that mimic those do the same thing for working out? Might not be same for building muscles but it still works out the same area and seems safer to me. Not risk of dropping weights on myself. Or is it because they don't have any group classes? I don't mind not having them if all I have to pay is $10 for the machines if the trainers come by and show me how to use them once in a while and make sure I don't do something incorrectly.

I'd take the pizza :D depending on how good it is... I personally don't like protein shakes/bars. And I don't really count calories either, maybe I'll fit in here?

what does a "lunk" mean? I've seen it referenced on their site, but is that a new "hip" word for gym jocks? I googled lunkhead and it means slow witted? I don't see how it applies to people going to the gym?

I did notice they have a free tire pump for bikes next to their bike rack outside. I hadn't seen any other gyms do this to encourage bicyclists.

edit: saw someone that had black member, but I asked the sales person at the PF I visited, she said that I would only have to pay the maintenance fee that first year for the 12 month contract, after that I would only pay the $20/month on a month to month payment and would not have to pay the maintenance fee after that first year. This doesn't seem right, was this your experience?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:32:11 AM by eyem »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »

Mod, above poster was correct though - PF does have a lot of weird rules against actually working out too hard. They've made the papers several times for asking people to change clothes or cover up and the article will show the person in what I consider normal gym clothes. And it is really weird to me that a gym offers free pizza... I understand the marketing point of it, but why not free protein shakes or even a protein bar... 

If the poster is correct then he should be able to back up his statement with a link or other proof.  The report that was filed had more to due with the terminology used, which isn't strictly necessary.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »
I used one for awhile because I wanted to use the treadmills and the ellipticals, and didn't feel like spending the money to buy good quality ones for my basement. (PF was more Mustachian, in other words.) $10/month was well worth the money for what I wanted the gym for. I do light weights at home, so didn't use theirs. One thing I noticed was that most of the staff were not trained in any way--couldn't seem to answer the simplest questions about fitness or training. They did have one "real" trainer, though, who I probably would have signed up with had I been interested in anything other than the cardio. I worked with a girl who went to PF regularly, worked with the trainer, and had fabulous results--lost 40 lbs. and looked and felt so much better. As far as I could tell, people did not make noises or wear revealing clothes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 12:00:48 PM »
Personally, I take issue with any place that has explicit rules against grunting and heavy breathing while weight lifting.  It effectively means that the weights they have are purely for show . . . which leads me to question why they offer weights at all.  It seems blatantly dishonest.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
It's awesome that you are basically going to get the membership at Planet Fitness for free with your work subsidy.  I don't get a work subsidy, so instead of joining a gym I bought a DVD set of Turbo Jam off eBay for $9 and I work out in my home.  All I needed was a yoga mat, a set of dumb bells I got at a garage sale, and a couple of elastic bands for the more advanced workouts.  Most of the exercises just use body weight, which is perfectly fine unless you are trying to bulk up. 

The workouts are intense, but they offer less intense versions of the exercises in each video if you are just starting out on your fitness journey.  The instructor Chalene Johnson is very charismatic and goofy which makes the workout a pleasant experience and they also have a timer on the screen so you can count down the time for each segment of the workout.  They have a variety of body types among the fitness models performing the exercises with Chalene, which really helps when you are starting out and there are features on the DVDs telling the stories of the different models and instructors which are very inspiring.

Turbo Jam also offers a supplemental meal guide to go with the exercise videos, which can be very useful.  I lost thirty pounds and got into great shape using these videos, so if anyone is looking for a low-cost alternative to going to the gym (or if they are just shy and don't want to workout in public), this could be a good option.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »
Someone mentioned the free weights and bench bar but doesn't the machines that mimic those do the same thing for working out? Might not be same for building muscles but it still works out the same area and seems safer to me.
In a word, no. It is not the same - consider if you are lifting a free weight how many stabilizer muscles are involved vs. a machine with a fixed range of motion, for example.

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 02:40:20 PM »
My PF had free weights, dumbells, etc in addition to the machines. Mostly what they lack is group fitness classes, a pool, track, etc, and if you go around peak hours they can be very busy, but it overall is a decent gym.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 03:01:39 PM »

It's true.  Monday is pizza night.  They also occasionally have muffins and cupcakes.   I was always perplexed why they would put out a bunch of pizza at a gym.  *shrug*

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 04:08:20 PM »
They also have Tootsie Rolls in a little bucket at the front desk.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 07:22:44 AM »

If the poster is correct then he should be able to back up his statement with a link or other proof.  The report that was filed had more to due with the terminology used, which isn't strictly necessary.

Fair enough, the age of posters ranges from mid-20's to late-60's it seems like. I'm sure there is all kinds of things that are said on this forum that are offensive to people in different age groups. I, myself, found nothing offensive in the post but can see how an overweight person would be offended for being called overweight.

Though it's funny because we can face punch people for being stupid with their money, but we can't do the same for being unhealthy which will consume more of their money. ;)

Either way, no arguments from my end just wanted to actually say I respect you for conducting yourself with respect. I'm used to moderators being a-holes or power trip types, so I really do appreciate that you responded to everything with logic and reason and not your own emotions - good job sir.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 07:49:05 AM »
I didn't find the post offensive but more tactless to me, which I kind of find it worse than being offensive since you can justify taking offense but you can't really explain tactlessness outside of it being a type of personality. When people ask for a face punch, it's because they are looking for justification/help... pointing out someone that's fat doesn't really contribute to them not getting fitter. And shaming people into action doesn't work except in mob mentality.

And why would only overweight people dislike excessive noise? I don't mind the grunts from doing something hard/heavy lifting. But dropping weights (not that I've seen anyone drop them) I could understand. But this is more about respecting the gym's equipment since it isn't yours to drop.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 07:54:59 AM »
The fatties over at planet fitness hate that. The staff give out free pizza to keep the fatties fat.
The report that was filed had more to due with the terminology used, which isn't strictly necessary.
I, myself, found nothing offensive in the post but can see how an overweight person would be offended for being called overweight.

I, myself, am surprised you see being called "overweight" and being called a "fattie" as the same thing.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 08:02:05 AM »
I both workout and eat pizza often, so the combo of gym + free pizza is actually pretty appealing to me. Kind of a cost savings!

If you don't find it conducive to getting in better shape down the line, maybe once you've increased your fitness level, you can always switch to biking, running, another gym, etc. I think for exercise the big thing is just to get started, in whatever way works for you to go. If the massage bed is what may motivate you at first, then use that motivation to get yourself into the other aspects. And good for you!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 08:10:59 AM »

It's true.  Monday is pizza night.  They also occasionally have muffins and cupcakes.   I was always perplexed why they would put out a bunch of pizza at a gym.  *shrug*

The pizza thing is cool.  For 10$ a month you get four free meals . . . and all the tootsie rolls you can eat?  Fuck the gym part, I'd sign up for the cheap food and lift weights at home where I can breathe and grunt.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 09:07:05 AM »

Fair enough, the age of posters ranges from mid-20's to late-60's it seems like. I'm sure there is all kinds of things that are said on this forum that are offensive to people in different age groups. I, myself, found nothing offensive in the post but can see how an overweight person would be offended for being called overweight.

Though it's funny because we can face punch people for being stupid with their money, but we can't do the same for being unhealthy which will consume more of their money. ;)

Either way, no arguments from my end just wanted to actually say I respect you for conducting yourself with respect. I'm used to moderators being a-holes or power trip types, so I really do appreciate that you responded to everything with logic and reason and not your own emotions - good job sir.

Mod hat on: Sorry to derail the thread OP, but thought I would respond to this as it has come up and seems to be coming up more often across the forum.  There aren't that many rules on the forum #1 is don't be a jerk. Now "jerk" is sometimes an ambiguous term so it becomes more about the type of community we want to foster.

When we receive several "Report to Mod" complaints about a particular post, whoever happens to see it  (in this case me) will take a look and see what the appropriate response is. We, in general, prefer to see the community moderate themselves and for the most part the community does a great job all we have to do is include a reminder once in a while.

In this case, providing links assists those who are not familiar with Planet Fitness (As I wasn't, don't know if they have them in Canada?) and leads weight to the argument. As far as the language goes, some people will find it offensive, some won't. The questions are, is it necessary? Does it add or take away from our community?

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 09:44:18 AM »
I had a PF membership for a while.  Just remember the business model is predicated on you not using it.  Basically their goal is to make it cheap enough that people will sign up and never go. 

I understand that you may be getting this "free" because of a company policy so it might not matter to you if you don't use it. 

It really isn't a place to get in great shape.  To get in great shape you generally have to lift heavy things and exert great amounts of energy that might cause you to make noise.  Both of those things they frown upon.  You also may be comfortable in clothing that isn't allowed there.  For instance, I do all my workouts barefoot and quite frequently without a shirt on.  Not a chance they would let that happen there. 

I won't get in to the free weights vs machines discussion but know that free weights are generally considered superior in all but a few circumstances. 

All that said, I view PF as a stepping stone of sort.  It allows you get in to the routine of going to the gym and exercising at a very low cost.  At some point if you want to get stronger or in better shape there are way better places to do it and they all cost more than PF. 

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 04:55:47 AM »
yay I went a few times already, not sure if it's sad or not but I haven't worked out in years so I guess it's a start. Their 30 minute "body" work out is 80% arms >.> but it's okay for me because I really have no idea how to lift weights for my arms anyways. I'll do the 12 minute abs workout for my mid section. My legs, riding my bike seems to be getting some results on it. I'm not sure what to do with my back yet, how do you even work out to target just back muscles?

timmmy, I think you might be right in that it's a good starting point which is what I wanted. I can't see myself going to another gym unless it is for it's classes. Maybe once I get fitter and lose some weight, I'll consider building muscle mass at an advanced gym. But they had free weights there, I just don't know how to use them. The staff was oddly not quite as "fit" as other gyms that I've been to in the past so I'm not entirely sure I can ask them for workout advice so I just read the instructions on the machine on how to use them and hope I do it correctly.

Overall, I found it nice, I don't make much noise yet and there was only 3-5 other people there (the place is huge, it was an old price chopper) so the place was dead silent and I found it enjoyable since I was off in my mind. I did have to explain I wanted to join planet fitness when I went up to counter first time and said "I want to join the gym". The staff said which one? I had to explain I wanted to joined this one and she went oh, you want a membership? This did seem odd that to me but oh well, I'm working out now so it's good.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 07:52:45 AM »
Good for you taking care of your body!

Dumbbell row, barbell row, back extension, deadlift and pullup all come to mind quickly as good back exercises depending on what part of the back you are looking at.  PF usually has a back extension machine, I'd advise against using it.  It's a good way to create a dangerous imbalance in your back muscles.  They should have what is commonly called a roman chair to do back extensions on.  If your bodyweight isn't challenging enough you can hold a plate to your chest. 

Your best bet is to use as much free weights as possible.  The free weights force you to use a crap load of stabilizer muscles and core muscles in addition to whatever you are targeting.  Make it a point to learn one or two exercises a month that you can do with free weights instead of a machine.  And most importantly, PROPER FORM!!!!!!! 

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 10:33:52 AM »
Good for you OP on getting your fitness routine started again. I don't know about PF's specific routines, but you mentioned a 30-minute workout that was 80% arms. I wanted to let you know that unless you are going for lengthy, targeted, bodybuilder-type training, then large movements that engage your whole body will give you much better results with a much shorter workout. As one example, biceps curls with dumbbells will exercise your biceps. But a better exercise is pull-ups (assisted if needed) that will exercise your biceps, back muscles, shoulders, abdominals, and dozens of other smaller muscles.

You can get an awesome workout in just 15-20 minutes with a small number of whole-body exercises that hit just about every major muscle in your body. You only need to do about 5 exercises to hit everything. You'll be tired and in excellent shape, you'll get faster and better results, cardio as well, and I think less likely to give up than with routines that are spending a lot of time on small, targeted muscle groups. Some especially good exercises that don't require any specialized equipment (these are just examples, you can find any number you might like):

- Pushups (works your chest, arms, core, etc.). Bench pressing with a barbell will build even more strength

- Pull-ups

- Dead lift (works almost everything, especially legs and back)

- Squats with a barbell, or jump-squats (jump from the squatting position as high as you can, then return slowly to squatting position and repeat)

- Squat down, pick up dumbbells off floor, stand up straight, curl them up to your chest, press them overhead, then go in reverse to put them back down on the floor. Repeat. This works about everything, including deltoids (shoulder muscles) that are otherwise neglected.

- "Burpees" or burpees with a pushup on each rep

- Bent over rowing with dumbbells. Bend your knees, lean forward with your back straight, grab a dumbbell in each hand, and lift the dumbbell to the side of your chest. Lower the dumbbells back down and repeat.

I'll add to the chorus that before too long, you should consider free weights (barbells and dumbbells) for better all-around results over machines.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 12:31:25 PM »
nthing recommendation to avoid Planet Fitness due to their discriminatory philosophy.  I would not grace them with my presence even if it were free as that would be an endorsement of their policies.

Get swole on your own, pay $100 for a better alternative, die of morbid obesity, but above all please take a stand against this holier than thou institution of false fitness.