Author Topic: Anyone ever use TreeHouse to get a job?  (Read 4226 times)

P1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone ever use TreeHouse to get a job?
« on: November 26, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »
I'm one of those who found the site and then read all the articles. So I'm super LTTP. The fast background is I have a low paying entry level soul crushing desk job that I'm far too old for and would love to move onto something else. Anyone use Tree House and learned the skills to line up a better job than they had before?

Mr. FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Fi Under the Big Sky
Re: Anyone ever use TreeHouse to get a job?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:48:36 PM »
I am using it right now. I haven't transitioned out of my own soul crushing desk job yet, but I feel like this will equip me to do so. The hardest part is having the time/energy to do the coding courses with a full time job already. But I'm optimistic that if I can work on it 30-60 minutes a day for 6 months or so, I could get an entry level position at a company or start doing for-hire web design on the side and then transition to self-employment (that's my ideal).

If this is what you're interested in, and not just a thing that might get you away from your current job, you'll find the motivation to get it done but it will take time.

Future Lazy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 01:10:01 PM »
I am using it right now. I haven't transitioned out of my own soul crushing desk job yet, but I feel like this will equip me to do so. The hardest part is having the time/energy to do the coding courses with a full time job already. But I'm optimistic that if I can work on it 30-60 minutes a day for 6 months or so, I could get an entry level position at a company or start doing for-hire web design on the side and then transition to self-employment (that's my ideal).

If this is what you're interested in, and not just a thing that might get you away from your current job, you'll find the motivation to get it done but it will take time.

+1, all of the above is true. I'm also using it (admittedly somewhat less with Winter Blues :C ), but also have yet to transition out of my data entry job as well. I find that the best strategy for me is to sit down on a Saturday and Sunday and do the work as if it were a 2nd part time job:
2 Hours Class
20 Min break
Repeat for 8 hrs of classwork

They also have an Android app where you can watch the videos and do the quizzes, but I find the fastest process to be watching the video with the quiz/project open and entering answers as I go. I really like their teaching style, but the pace is sometimes painfully slow for me.

I find that my second biggest hurdle is to find the time to work on my portfolio. Learning the code and principal is fairly straight forward until you start to apply it to your own personal project/ideas, and then it becomes frustrating trial and error, and asking a lot of questions to fix what gets broken. I still think the classwork is a good addition to a resume - make note of the length of the classes you do, and add them into a resume as "Treehouse: X hours Professional Development in Skillset".

Mr. FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Fi Under the Big Sky
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 09:22:59 AM »
I still think the classwork is a good addition to a resume - make note of the length of the classes you do, and add them into a resume as "Treehouse: X hours Professional Development in Skillset".

I thought about this the other day. I was hoping the site tracked hours, but it appears it doesn't. But I should start doing this, because I agree it would look good.

thefrugalnudists

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 08:46:14 PM »
I just started with treehouse too. I was thinking I would try to do some Web Dev and Wordpress and see if I could just start doing some websites for friends and transition into some paying gigs. But now I am wondering if I could actually get a real job if I took the right track on there. For background, I am in my 40's trying a career change. Trying to get out of doing physical work.
Anybody know anybody who got a job after completing the tracks?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!