Author Topic: Anyone ever housed a political campaign worker?  (Read 3843 times)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Anyone ever housed a political campaign worker?
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »
We live very close to a local political candidate's office, someone I really do want to see win.  They put out word that they needed housing for some "field campaign" workers coming in from out of the area, working incredibly long hours until election day (11/4).  While we don't have much financial support to offer, we do have a spare bedroom/bath, so, introverts though we are, we hesitantly said yes to a one week trial, continuing if things worked out.  I had it in my mind that these would be young enthusiastic volunteers, maybe interns, knocking on doors and making all those annoying phone calls we dread. 

Such is not the case.  It's a paid position (knocking on doors and making all those annoying calls), and the guy who's staying with us is at least mid-30's and has done this before for other campaigns.  I understand we're not required to supply him with meals, but I feel so bad that he's apparently relying on restaurant food for a month!  Then last night he casually mentioned that he hadn't had dinner (at 10:30PM), so the southerner in me insisted I give him what I had on hand - a couple of apples, some peanut butter, and celery and carrots.  Not exactly a meal, but then again, it's better than nothing.

He's also said that he's trying to lose weight, needs to save money, doesn't get paid until the election's over, etc.  I know he doesn't have a lot of time to grocery shop, never mind cook (they work at least 12 hour days, 7 days a week).  How far would you go?  Offer to shop for some sandwich fixings or frozen dinners for him?  Save him some leftovers?  Let him figure it out himself? 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: Anyone ever housed a political campaign worker?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »
I would offer a set arrangement where he paid a set amount, maybe $75, and I provided all his food for the month for that. Also flexible, maybe less for just dinner, etc. If he didn't want to pay? Pretty much on his own - he could have a few cookies or muffins if I baked a batch, and that's about it.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 03:49:39 PM »
If he's buying restaurant food, offer him the chance to chip in for groceries in return for you just making more of whatever you make. It hardly takes more effort to double a recipe, usually.

That, and probably be less "compassionate" in the future. Guy chose the way he lives.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 04:20:55 PM »
I moved to a swing state for a year for the presidential campaign and had an offer by someone local as a "free" place to stay. I chose to find my own place because I did not want to feel like I owed anyone anything. The hours were long and crazy but I had a steady paycheck throughout. I am still good friends with the roomie I found. I was in charge of the field operations for 3 counties.

It doesn't sound like he/she is getting paid very well, and to be stuck with the job he has at that age means maybe he/she should cut their losses and go into another field (not to say working for a cause you believe in should not be done, but as a career choice it sounds like a dead end for them).

I think you have been more than generous already, if he is treating you kindly and with respect for what you have done so far maybe some more food if you feel like it would be a nice gesture. At the end of the day though I would lean towards you letting them figure it out for themselves.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 11:52:52 AM »
I'd do it if they paid me.  Republicans pay twice as much.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:23:15 PM »
I'd do it if they paid me.  Republicans pay twice as much.

On a funny note, I worked for the Romney campaign and we got paid through the end of December, while some people I was friends with that worked on the Obama campaign (In a different state) said their checks ended right after the election. Regardless of the outcome it was a great experience to get out and meet people from all over with all kinds of different views.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »
Two month's severance pay?  Weird.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »
Two month's severance pay?  Weird.

Although I wasn't expecting it, I considered it to be generous and fair. It takes a lot to up and move to another state where you know nobody and work 7 days a week for 9 months. Not sure why it would be considered "weird".