Author Topic: Anyone else stockpiling money due to the potentially looming gov shutdown?  (Read 42108 times)

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
I'm a fed, and have been following the news with a sinking feeling: 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/13/us/politics/at-meeting-with-treasury-secretary-boehner-pressed-for-debt-ceiling-deal.html?hpw

"Just five scheduled legislative days stand between the House and a government shutdown that has loomed for months. As of now, Republican leaders appear to have no idea how to stop it. House members are preparing for the worst. "

I just pulled together an extra paycheck's worth of savings out of our joint biweekly pay.  DH is a teacher, so in the clear on this one.  We *do* have an e-fund, but if there's a shutdown and I take money out of there, I'll just have to repay it, so I'd rather take the hit on the front end instead.  I'm itching to dump the extra money on my student loan as per usual, though.

Here's hoping Congress gets it together at the last minute as always!  And, if not, here's to being MMM.  I suspect a lot of feds will be in trouble if this does happen, regardless of where policy lands on retroactive pay.  So far at least, agencies are ignoring the issue.  I don't think many are preparing financially.  That might just be the fault of Congress for crying wolf so often. 

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Isn't this what emergency funds are for?

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
Well, when you can see it coming, is it really an emergency? 

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
I view emergency funds as the sort of thing that you use when life throws you a curveball. A government shut down for a fed is similar to layoffs in the corporate world. If my company announces layoffs and I have an emergency fund why am I going to start stockpiling money when I have money saved up for just that situation if I end up being laid off?

Who cares whether you can see it coming? You've already saved for the eventuality of an time where you may need the money. It's money for when you truly need it when you either can't work (government shutdown/lay off) or when an "uh oh" happens.

willn

• Stubble
Seems prudent to hold off on extra debt payments beyond minimums until you have a good idea what's going to happen.  Then if the worst case scenario doesn't play out, you haven't really lost anything, as you can dump your extra savings onto the debt.  Just a small bit of interest.  The fed thing won't drag on too long. It's always a game of chicken and someone blinks and the uncertainty dissipates.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
This is why a hefty emergency fund is an absolute necessity.  You don't have to sweat paycheck interruption, sudden whoops large expense, the need to evacuate and possibly coming home to a damaged house, etc.

livetogive

• Stubble
Sorry to revive an old-ish post, but i'm curious what you ended up doing and how it's shaping up?

The first thing that came to mind was "yes, and ammo" :D

CU Tiger

• Bristles
My husband and I both work for gov't contractors. Last night (9/18/13) the husband was reading some newsfeeds and noted that the time was rapidly approaching when we'll be in this situation again.

This is one of the thing that pisses me off mightily about our elected reps. We elect them to do things like put together the budget, etc., but they are always bogged down in scoring points off "the other side" and nothing important gets done without pain.

Anyway, I agree with most of the commenters, this is where a healthy EF is invaluable.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
I really don't feel sorry for govt workers. They make much more than any private sector worker by comparison. They are employed by an institution that is wildly in debt and financially inept. So you think the gravy train will last forever? Maybe it will...raise the debt ceiling and print more money. Whats the worst that could happen!?

I left my last job because of this pre 2007. Last I heard my boss was laid off. So if you see the writing on the wall, maybe its time to change direction? Instead of blaming Congress for not funding your sector, become a productive member of society and stop relying on other people's tax dollars and loans from the central bank to keep your life afloat.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
I am guessing they will exempt military pay, as has been done in the past.

We aren't really stockpiling and we will be okay for quite a while if they don't.  I may hold off on extra payments to our mortgage until we see what will happen, but that's really the only change for now.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
Re: Anyone else stockpiling money due to the potentially looming gov shutdown?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 08:36:53 AM »
Wow, Mr. Macinstache, would you like another glass of Hatorade?

I can't speak for the US government, but around here I make slightly less than my private sector peers (same skillset, same experience, different jobs). The pension is great, but I do pay into it, in what works out to be a 50% match (same as many private sector employers).

Next time you need a government service (teaching your children, policing your streets, picking up your garabage, fighting house and forrest fires), just remember it is performed by someone you've just described as a non productive member of society.

willn

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »
I really don't feel sorry for govt workers. They make much more than any private sector worker by comparison. They are employed by an institution that is wildly in debt and financially inept. So you think the gravy train will last forever? Maybe it will...raise the debt ceiling and print more money. Whats the worst that could happen!?

I left my last job because of this pre 2007. Last I heard my boss was laid off. So if you see the writing on the wall, maybe its time to change direction? Instead of blaming Congress for not funding your sector, become a productive member of society and stop relying on other people's tax dollars and loans from the central bank to keep your life afloat.

Troll.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 09:17:55 AM »

Don't take the troll's bait.  Everyone hates government workers until they want their nation defended, or their mail delivered, or their kid educated.  Or a highway to drive on or clean water to drink or a functional internet or hamburger that's safe to eat. 

For the record, I'm also a government employee who makes about 30% below market rates for my job, but government workers at the very low end (janitors, file clerks, manual labor) do get a better deal compared to equivalent minimum workers in the private sector.  It's almost like government is trying to address income inequality or something.

Back on topic, I've already received notice to begin preparing for the shutdown.  Every time it's even threatened, a million federal employees have to start making contingency plans for how to maintain continuity of operations while legally prohibited from working.  I don't think most people appreciate the vast costs associated with even getting CLOSE to a shutdown deadline.  Literally tens of millions of person-hours wasted preparing for a threatened maybe.

On a personal note, I'm not worried about my finances.  We're far enough along our FI journey that even getting outright fired would be survivable.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 09:36:13 AM »
My observations during too many years in government management are the same as Sol's.  Lower level employees are paid as well as the private sector.  Local governments often relied on the "prevailing wage" to set pay.  Professional and management positions paid significantly less.  Much harder to call the adjacent jurisdiction and survey the private employers to find out what an agricultural biologist or water chemist made than a clerk.  Until recently, many government employees had much better pensions.  With higher employee contributions and funding concerns, the pensions are not as big of a carrot today.

Folks I know at the fed employers are generally pretty conservative and have lots of savings.  In all of the cases of couples I know, one is a fed, one is a private sector employee.  They know it's coming, they are tired of the stupidity, but they are prepared.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 10:15:34 AM »
Wow, love the name calling.

I can't speak for the US government, but around here I make slightly less than my private sector peers (same skillset, same experience, different jobs). The pension is great, but I do pay into it, in what works out to be a 50% match (same as many private sector employers).

Next time you need a government service (teaching your children, policing your streets, picking up your garabage, fighting house and forrest fires), just remember it is performed by someone you've just described as a non productive member of society.

Well it seems I'm getting some hate, but I'm not trying to hate on the public sector. When I referred to becoming a productive member I was speaking in terms of the unproductive, politicians, bureaucrats and the like. However, using threats of "safety" or "children" fodder gets pretty old. The problem is that a lot governments spend too much and have to ask for more. When they don't get it, they play games. Taxpayers are making do with a LOT less, I suggest cities, counties, school districts, etc do the same. Some how though I am berated when I suggest such a thing from the sacred cow.

I appreciate what individuals do, and I don't necessarily blame them as much as I do leadership. But the reality is the public sector are public servants and that's not meant to be harsh. There's nobility in serving the public but all that gets thrown out the window with the threats and demands.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:35:30 AM by Mr.Macinstache »

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »
Apple sucks.  ;>)

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 01:30:42 AM »
Wow, love the name calling.

Well it seems I'm getting some hate, but I'm not trying to hate on the public sector. When I referred to becoming a productive member I was speaking in terms of the unproductive, politicians, bureaucrats and the like.

This is false.  What you said was

Quote from: Mr.Macinstache

If you don't feel this way, fine, but don't pretend you were misunderstood.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 09:10:44 AM »
MMM would be impressed with your biking skills on that backpedal, Mac.

Most federal government workers I know (admittedly all middle management or higher) make far, far less than their civilian counterparts.  My BIL makes 50% less than he did in the private sector.  He took the job for the security and the more reasonable hours, but it was a giant cut.  Others I know have taken large (though <50%) cuts (or offers less than comparable civilian jobs) as well.  So the notion that these people are suckling on the government teet and raking it in hand over fist is preposterous. 

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 10:02:01 AM »

Most federal government workers I know (admittedly all middle management or higher) make far, far less than their civilian counterparts.  My BIL makes 50% less than he did in the private sector.  He took the job for the security and the more reasonable hours, but it was a giant cut.  Others I know have taken large (though <50%) cuts (or offers less than comparable civilian jobs) as well.  So the notion that these people are suckling on the government teet and raking it in hand over fist is preposterous.

I stand by what I said. No one is forcing anyone to take a public service job or stay in it, so spare the complainypants. There are advantages, if it's not the pay or bennies, its the job security, like you said. When the furlows come into play, what is expected when you work for the most unmustachian entity there is? We are mustachians, right? Does 17 Trillion in debt mean anything? Especially when Federal workers make more for the same job.
No one is going to feel sorry for me when I complain about losing my job to company running itself into the ground.

Yes I support my garbage man, librarians, school teachers, water treatment workers and so on. We have to realize that no one group is more entitled than the other here, were all in this together.

And just here locally, 3 men, county commissioners, choose on their own to raise the property tax rates. The reason? Because property values saw their biggest drop in more than 50 years in our county. So right there is a classic example division of entitlement. Instead of being mustachian and cutting spending to accurately reflect the reality of the local economy, they just feel entitled to take more.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »

I stand by what I said. No one is forcing anyone to take a public service job or stay in it, so spare the complainypants. There are advantages, if it's not the pay or bennies, its the job security, like you said. When the furlows come into play, what is expected when you work for the most unmustachian entity there is? We are mustachians, right? Does 17 Trillion in debt mean anything? Especially when Federal workers make more for the same job.
No one is going to feel sorry for me when I complain about losing my job to company running itself into the ground.

Yes I support my garbage man, librarians, school teachers, water treatment workers and so on. We have to realize that no one group is more entitled than the other here, were all in this together.

And just here locally, 3 men, county commissioners, choose on their own to raise the property tax rates. The reason? Because property values saw their biggest drop in more than 50 years in our county. So right there is a classic example division of entitlement. Instead of being mustachian and cutting spending to accurately reflect the reality of the local economy, they just feel entitled to take more.

So then you stand by saying government workers are not productive members of society?

Interestingly, those county commissioners you mention aren't even part of the potential shutdown since it doesn't sound like they are federal workers. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 10:25:41 AM »
Sounds like Mac has a beef with politicians who run government, not the lowly workers who implement government.  It's an easy thing to confuse.

The property tax example is an interesting one and tangentially relevant to this thread's purpose.  Stockpiling funds in preparation for a government shutdown is something that individuals can do much more easily than a government can.  When the local economy tanks and the tax base collapses, a city/county/state still has the same bills to pay for things like law enforcement, schools, and roads.  Without a stockpile or available debt, they have to cut back on operations.

So I kind of understand the bind his County Commissioners are in.  People demand government services but don't want to pay "extra" for them.  They don't have a big rainy day fund to weather rough stretches.  So when the economy falters and people's tax bills decline, the Commissioners have little choice but to pull shenanigans like raising property tax rates.  We've seen the same thing around here, and nobody is happy about it. 

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »

So then you stand by saying government workers are not productive members of society?

Interestingly, those county commissioners you mention aren't even part of the potential shutdown since it doesn't sound like they are federal workers.

It depends on the position, some I consider vital or productive, some I don't.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »
Sounds like Mac has a beef with politicians who run government, not the lowly workers who implement government.  It's an easy thing to confuse.

I think your first interpretation is better; that he is a troll.  There's no way to reconcile his statement that government workers should, "Instead of blaming Congress for not funding your sector, become a productive member of society," with "Yes I support my garbage man, librarians, school teachers, water treatment workers and so on. We have to realize that no one group is more entitled than the other here, were all in this together."

He's either saying government workers are unproductive members of society, in which case I choose to believe that he's a troll instead of a deeply offensive person.  Or he misspoke the first time -- except he's doubled down to say "I stand by what I said.  No one is forcing anyone to take a public service job or stay in it, so spare the complainypants."

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 10:53:43 AM »

To play devil's advocate, government workers making less than the private sector may already be making a lot more than the US average salary. In other words, if someone goes from making $110K to $100K or even $300K to $200K to take a job in the private sector, that is not so bad. Likewise if someone goes from making $80K to $70K.

You mention the security of the government. Very good point! Since it's almost impossible to get fired from the government, I bet (no, I don't have proof of this) a Fed worker has far fewer months of unemployment than a person in the private sector. Over time, that consistent employment adds up to a larger nest egg.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »
Thoughtful response beltim. Free free to call names as much as you like.

The property tax example is an interesting one and tangentially relevant to this thread's purpose.  Stockpiling funds in preparation for a government shutdown is something that individuals can do much more easily than a government can.  When the local economy tanks and the tax base collapses, a city/county/state still has the same bills to pay for things like law enforcement, schools, and roads.  Without a stockpile or available debt, they have to cut back on operations.

So I kind of understand the bind his County Commissioners are in.  People demand government services but don't want to pay "extra" for them.  They don't have a big rainy day fund to weather rough stretches.  So when the economy falters and people's tax bills decline, the Commissioners have little choice but to pull shenanigans like raising property tax rates.  We've seen the same thing around here, and nobody is happy about it.

There's the fail. In my case if the county isn't prudent enough to make up for a 4% reduction in property tax revenue, they have no business running the county. It's absolutely financially irresponsible when people rely on their services. It becomes an issue of people paying for their waste or ineptitude.

At the same time they're setting up their own kangaroo court to generate revenue as well... it's admitted in the paper and they aren't shy about it. It's the good ol boy club running roughshod over the people and just demanding more inspite of the current economic reality. Very unmustachian.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 11:00:01 AM »

To play devil's advocate, government workers making less than the private sector may already be making a lot more than the US average salary. In other words, if someone goes from making $110K to $100K or even $300K to $200K to take a job in the private sector, that is not so bad. Likewise if someone goes from making $80K to $70K.

You mention the security of the government. Very good point! Since it's almost impossible to get fired from the government, I bet (no, I don't have proof of this) a Fed worker has far fewer months of unemployment than a person in the private sector. Over time, that consistent employment adds up to a larger nest egg.

It's pretty widely known that workers with less education are better compensated than those in the private sector, while those with more education are not as well compensated as the private sector (http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42636.pdf).  However, the government workforce as a whole is much better educated than the private sector, and so overall government compensation is lower, even after including all benefits (http://slge.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/BC-brief_Comparing-Compensation_12-082.pdf).

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 11:00:58 AM »
I think your first interpretation is better; that he is a troll. 

I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.  We now operate in a totalitarian forum state in which niceness is enforced on penalty of death.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/forum-rules/

I thought that if I maybe charitably overlooked Mac personally insulting me and all other government employees that maybe I could avoid further censorship from the mods for calling him a troll. 

Let's tone it down, people.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »
Thoughtful response beltim. Free free to call names as much as you like.

I find it interesting that those only post here of mine you've responded to is the one where I give you the benefit of the doubt over a deeply offensive statement that you made.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 11:09:58 AM »

I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.  We now operate in a totalitarian forum state in which niceness is enforced on penalty of death.

I thought that if I maybe charitably overlooked Mac personally insulting me and all other government employees that maybe I could avoid further censorship from the mods for calling him a troll. 

I considered reporting his original comment to the moderators because of its offensiveness, but thought I'd let him clarify.  There is substantial opportunity for a productive discussion here.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 11:12:35 AM »
Benefit of the what? I'm not going to waste time with name callers.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »
Benefit of the what? I'm not going to waste time with name callers.

Quote from: Beltim
the benefit of the doubt over a deeply offensive statement that you made.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
Dude, you called me a troll. That's not giving me the benefit of anything. Last response to you, good day.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
Dude, you called me a troll. That's not giving me the benefit of anything. Last response to you, good day.

I was thinking that you didn't really mean it when you said:

Instead of blaming Congress for not funding your sector, become a productive member of society and stop relying on other people's tax dollars and loans from the central bank to keep your life afloat.

Maybe you were being hyperbolic to make a point or had a bad day.  Maybe you personally know the OP and think he or she in completely useless and unproductive at their job.  Or maybe you just wrote off an entire group of people with a deeply offensive comment.  I don't know the real reason you said that, and I was curious.  That's why I said:

If you don't feel this way, fine
and
Or he misspoke the first time
and
I considered reporting his original comment to the moderators because of its offensiveness, but thought I'd let him clarify.  There is substantial opportunity for a productive discussion here.

I am genuinely interested in your clarifications.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »

Nah, he's a troll.  Do yourself a favor and make with the ignore list.  I enjoy this forum a lot more since I did so.

willn

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 12:53:49 PM »

I called you that too, because you posted an insulting, off topic rant in response to someone who came with a legit question trying to do the right thing.  You were itching to tee off on bad government but chose a bad place to do it. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:18:34 PM by willn »

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »
Laughing at 750,000+ people suddenly losing their income is totally reasonable.
Mr.Macinstache is so misunderstood he can't even understand his own posts and why they might be a little insulting

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 02:56:57 PM »
Nah, he's a troll.  Do yourself a favor and make with the ignore list.  I enjoy this forum a lot more since I did so.

Coming in to pile on while you yourself arrogantly troll in other threads about therapy and call it bullshit? Put me on your ignore list and enjoy yourself.

Laughing at 750,000+ people suddenly losing their income is totally reasonable.
Mr.Macinstache is so misunderstood he can't even understand his own posts and why they might be a little insulting

Tell me where I 'laughed' at anyone's misfortune?

CDP45

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 01:38:48 AM »
Good, I hope it shuts down forever. The waste of our lives in the form of tax-dollars is in fathomable. There is an unending list of largess and an orgy of theft perpetrated against the productive American people aided by the bureaucracy.

A mere drop in the flood of waste can be found on the Columbia river where tens of men are full time employees and provided boats and gas to motor the river shooting blanks at one protected species (sea lions) in hopes of distracting them from eating another protected species (salmon). It's like trying to keep fat chicks away from ice cream.

Is that program under threat of budget cuts? I doubt it.
As there is no pity for the tens of thousands of dollars, hours of our lives spent toiling anually taken from the silent majority, to include the readers here, there shall be none for you state leach.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 04:05:26 AM »
Good, I hope it shuts down forever. The waste of our lives in the form of tax-dollars is in fathomable. There is an unending list of largess and an orgy of theft perpetrated against the productive American people aided by the bureaucracy.

A mere drop in the flood of waste can be found on the Columbia river where tens of men are full time employees and provided boats and gas to motor the river shooting blanks at one protected species (sea lions) in hopes of distracting them from eating another protected species (salmon). It's like trying to keep fat chicks away from ice cream.

Is that program under threat of budget cuts? I doubt it.
As there is no pity for the tens of thousands of dollars, hours of our lives spent toiling anually taken from the silent majority, to include the readers here, there shall be none for you state leach.

Well are you a peach! 

It seems some people are unable to comprehend that when they see a useless job or an example of waste, that can't be extrapolated to deduce that every government jobs is useless.  There's a ton of waste in government programs, but does that means we should ditch ever single one of them?  Our government is dysfunctional, so I suppose the solution is anarchy, right?

A mom

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 06:24:25 AM »
I think the value of the government might be a subject we want to avoid here. No one is going to convince anyone else of their point of view.

What about sticking to responding to the original question.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 07:16:16 AM »
Back to the original question - Yes, I am a federal employee and I am stockpiling money. As a beginner mustacian I only have a small emergency fund. I am delaying a major purchase (new-to-me car) so that the car fund could be used for expenses if needed. Last time we went until 10pm pending a midnight shutdown. At which point I'd already been notified that as 'emergency essential' I'd have to report at 6am as usual, but possibly without pay. grrrr. I don't claim the government doesn't have waste, but I sure do hate being a political pawn. If they need to cut my job, fine- but cut it and let me go find another one.

As a side note the Federal government employs 40% of my industry so it's a bit hard to compare salary. Private sector has the extremes (really well paid and really poorly paid) and gov has the middle ground.

JellyBean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »
If a private company is wasteful, they go out of business.
If the government is wasteful, they increase taxes, higher commissions to justify the spending, or blame the previous party.

That said, the fear of being out of work is real whether you are public or private sector.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
Seems like you need to create a viable third party in your country, stop the rhetoric and get people to actually balance a budget, etc.

The gravy train is hard to get off. Who amongst us would say to their boss, hey, you want to pay me $100k, but I only need $75 and that is STILL really generous. I know I wouldn't.

In the UK, a friend told me a story that when he was a subcontractor to a subcontractor doing motorway maintenance, that he had to do 'make work' for a couple of days just so the first subcontractor could bill 'on budget' not 'under budget' because if they came in at lower, next year the budget would be cut.

'Someone' needs to go through government with a common-sense broom. Oh but the backs you'd get up!

Benevolent dictatorship? Yup... better than democracy. Shame nobody'll vote for it ;)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »

We aren't really stockpiling and we will be okay for quite a while if they don't.  I may hold off on extra payments to our mortgage until we see what will happen, but that's really the only change for now.
If it is a government shutdown military pay will be impacted (not pension pay, just active duty).  Mil pay was exempted from the furlough, not shutdown.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2013, 04:52:40 AM »

If it is a government shutdown military pay will be impacted (not pension pay, just active duty).  Mil pay was exempted from the furlough, not shutdown.

Not necessarily, and if history is any indicator, not likely.  Military pay was exempted from all 10 government shutdowns that have occurred 1980-1996.  While it would take an exemption and that isn't a sure thing (which is why I said I am "guessing" they will exempt military pay), I am hopeful that they would do as has been done in the past, which is to exempt military pay.  This is different from the furlough, but historically, military pay has continued almost seamlessly during shutdowns.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »

Not necessarily, and if history is any indicator, not likely.  Military pay was exempted from all 10 government shutdowns that have occurred 1980-1996.  While it would take an exemption and that isn't a sure thing (which is why I said I am "guessing" they will exempt military pay), I am hopeful that they would do as has been done in the past, which is to exempt military pay.  This is different from the furlough, but historically, military pay has continued almost seamlessly during shutdowns.

Word around the office is that if the shutdown goes we will get back pay (I am required to work through a shutdown) .... eventually. I don't think they can get away with making us work and not paying us, but payroll processing *will* be shutdown so getting the money could take a while. Here's hoping someone blinks first. As one of the prior posters said- public or private potential job loss/ cut is not good :/

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2013, 03:28:45 PM »

Word around the office is that if the shutdown goes we will get back pay (I am required to work through a shutdown) .... eventually. I don't think they can get away with making us work and not paying us, but payroll processing *will* be shutdown so getting the money could take a while. Here's hoping someone blinks first. As one of the prior posters said- public or private potential job loss/ cut is not good :/

I'm curious how this works on the civilian side.  When you say you are required to work through a shutdown, does that just mean you get fired if you stop showing up?

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2013, 03:29:46 PM »
Anyone who thinks there may be anther shutdown might do very well to hoard cash for the stock market tank which will result from this combined with the tapering of the QE at the same time.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »
Anyone who thinks there may be anther shutdown might do very well to hoard cash for the stock market tank which will result from this combined with the tapering of the QE at the same time.

I've thought about selling some stocks now and then rebuying, but my policy is to avoid attempts at market timing, so I am resisting the urge.