Author Topic: Anyone else spending a lot more intentionally?  (Read 6346 times)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: Anyone else spending a lot more intentionally?
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2020, 12:16:35 PM »
I got a haircut at a salon for the first time in like... 3 or 4 years? Normally I just go get a quick, cheap clipper at the barber, but they were all closed today and I was losing my mind from the shagginess. I learned something interesting - the stylist mentioned that this year salons are expecting to get absolutely hammered financially, because apparently doing hair for Christmas parties, especially office Christmas parties, is a huge chunk of their annual revenue, and those are all cancelled this year. I never even realized that, because it would never even be on my radar to get my hair done for an event, but apparently it's a very big thing.
Imagine how the caterers and event planners feel these days...

Totally, I just think it's interesting how many less-obvious industries are affected in addition to the big ones. There are probably so many others as well that nobody realizes.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2020, 10:38:55 AM »
Yes.  Our overall spending is about the same, because no trips, no commute for me, thus no clothes/makeup, etc.  But we have significantly increased our takeout to support the restaurants we like, including even driving downtown to get "fancy" takeout from our favorite restaurant.  They are struggling hugely and most will very likely go under without significant support, so if I want to be able to continue eating there, it's in my best interest to do so now.

I have also done the same at farmers' markets with stuff like fresh pasta and bread, and I get delivery of milk and periodic ice cream from local places.  I am also sending periodic treats and Christmas gifts to people from small shops that I know will ship -- win/win, because it's a little boost to my friends/family, as well as money for the shop.  Oh, and I kept my gym membership running through the shutdown, because with all this takeout, I need them to be there when the smoke clears.  ;-)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2020, 09:11:11 AM »
Not a lot more, but definitely more.  We signed up for a produce delivery service with all local/organic produce, which is much more expensive than my old grocery routine, but I've been wanting to address food miles for a while so this is only partly COVID related.  We're ordering takeout more often (2x/month instead of 1x/month) to support local restaurants we want to keep around.  We're increasing our charitable giving this year as well.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2020, 08:19:14 PM »
Lots of common themes around increased charitable giving, takeout and supporting other local small biz. Nice. I’ve also switched from my weekend Starbucks to support my local very expensive coffee shop as well. I only go 1x or 2x a week but it’s better and they are so nice I want to support them.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2020, 03:35:28 AM »
No. I am some pretty serious dietary restrictions that have made eating out a chore for quite a few years. Even when we went on vacations, I cooked my own food. So, I certain don’t feel any obligation to support local restaurants now.(I am supporting my grocery store.)

The good thing is that now during the pandemic, instead of feeling deprived, I feel normal.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2020, 10:30:22 AM »
I checked my Year end numbers. We spent intentionally more on
- Home and outdoor improvements
- High Quality food.
- Fitness improvement and supplements.
- Health

Spending less on
- Restaurants. I am much more aware of what food I intake than last year. It just complicates going out to eat.
- Spending less on Gas.
- daycare

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2020, 11:13:29 AM »
Yes, but not for selfless reasons. My lawyers are making a lot of money off of me this year.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2020, 08:07:00 PM »
Yes, but not for selfless reasons. My lawyers are making a lot of money off of me this year.

That does not sound fun. Hope whatever it is is settled quickly

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2020, 06:03:00 AM »

That does not sound fun. Hope whatever it is is settled quickly

Oh no, most of that was business expenses, contracts etc, for a business deal that fell through. My business world is fairly complex, so I often need a few lawyers to get anything done. It was just a pain in the ass to jump through so many hoops only to have the deal crash and burn. Oh well, dodged a bullet really.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!